Grand Action - Convention Ctr Expansion/Stadium/Hotel

trongrr

6 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Their expansion options are a post office that refuses to move and....city hall? Oh give me a break! This is a nonstarter.

They have a gigantic parking lot over on Fulton and Market that they need to fill in. And anything there will be automatically connected to the Skywalk system.

If DeVos wants that Post Office, he'll get it.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ant33 said:

So we're going to make a stadium specifically for the usl at about 8,000 seats? Idk if it's just me, but that's not that exciting seeing that we are virtually building another minor league stadium/arena. But it's better than nothing..

I highly doubt that Grand Rapids will ever host a top level professional team.

2 minutes ago, ant33 said:

So we're going to make a stadium specifically for the usl at about 8,000 seats? Idk if it's just me, but that's not that exciting seeing that we are virtually building another minor league stadium/arena. But it's better than nothing..

On twitter they were reporting 8k seats, but the grbj article stated 8k was the average size of USL stadiums. I'd bet they would build bigger than 8k.

14 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

I'm confused by this part: "Build a USL professional soccer stadium and recruit a team for the league, which plans to expand from 29 teams to 40 teams by 2020. Kaatz estimated a stadium could cost up to $40 million."

Wouldn't it make more sense for GRFC to move up into the USL? Why would we recruit a team for the league?

16 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I'm confused by this part: "Build a USL professional soccer stadium and recruit a team for the league, which plans to expand from 29 teams to 40 teams by 2020. Kaatz estimated a stadium could cost up to $40 million."

Wouldn't it make more sense for GRFC to move up into the USL? Why would we recruit a team for the league?

It is just vague language they are putting out there. The USL requires owners to be worth a lot of money, the owner of GRFC is not worth a lot of money (at least not the Millions that USL requires). So if it is GRFC that is going to be the USL franchise, they would technically have to restructure it and create a new organization with wealthy owners.

• GRDadof3 changed the title to Grand Action - Convention Ctr Expansion/Stadium/Hotel

My take on this whole thing is that Grand Action is just getting it out there that they're working on projects, as we've even asking here over the last few years if they're working on anything. 

Doug Small of ExpGR recently told me those exact numbers, downtown needs 500 more rooms and an expanded convention center (either attached to a new hotel or attached to Devos Place). Their success and the low hotel occupancy rates has apparently meant that they're missing out on conventions that would've been a shoe in for them. 

Here's the post office site, easily large enough for 120,000 sf of convention space and a hotel tower. 

Post Office Site.JPG

What's weird though is that they also highlighted the Calder Plaza area, meaning the actual city and county buildings and Calder Plaza. AKA bringing back the Jack Buchanan plan?

6 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Here's the post office site, easily large enough for 120,000 sf of convention space and a hotel tower. 

Post Office Site.JPG

What's weird though is that they also highlighted the Calder Plaza area, meaning the actual city and county buildings and Calder Plaza. AKA bringing back the Jack Buchanan plan?

Also noteworthy is that in the mlive article it says they'd prefer to go east and allow the post office site to be used for residential and retail. 

8 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Also noteworthy is that in the mlive article it says they'd prefer to go east and allow the post office site to be used for residential and retail. 

I hope they don't plan to tear down city hall and the county building. What about on the 5/3 parking lot? 

They even talked about a major soccer facility for youth soccer. I swear I think more people read this site than we realize. :) 

FYI, Trump will be here Friday night apparently. I fully expect him to take credit for all of this.

7 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I hope they don't plan to tear down city hall and the county building. What about on the 5/3 parking lot? 

They even talked about a major soccer facility for youth soccer. I swear I think more people read this site than we realize. :) 

A youth soccer facility would be awesome. I really want to keep this momentum going and turn West Michigan into a premier soccer destination in the Midwest.

Here's an idea that a friend of mine had: add on to the convention center on the river side, cantilevered over the river with partial glass floors to watch the new rapids underneath. I then thought, what about bringing it out around the Lyon Square amphitheather? You're then adding valuable conv center space without eating up valuable riverfront or downtown property. 

You could even add retail on the ground floor of the conv center expansion on the Lyon Square side, creating a little promenade area. 

Obviously this is just a box for massing, but make the architecture so dramatic that it would stun visitors coming into downtown. 

Conv Center Cantilever.jpg

Baton-Rouge-Municipal-Dock-1.jpg

76B84A57026B63784ECDC2508280ABB8.jpg

03187_000_N323.jpg

39 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Certainly, with room for a sea of parking. ;)

Soccer Stadium.jpg

Parking? Strike that from your statement. That's not the Grand Rapids way.

7 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Here's an idea that a friend of mine had: add on to the convention center on the river side, cantilevered over the river with partial glass floors to watch the new rapids underneath. I then thought, what about bringing it out around the Lyon Square amphitheather? You're then adding valuable conv center space without eating up valuable riverfront or downtown property. 

You could even add retail on the ground floor of the conv center expansion on the Lyon Square side, creating a little promenade area. 

Conv Center Cantilever.jpg

This is actually a really cool idea that would set DeVos Place apart from the rest. Glass floors along with balconies right over the water. Then a river entry point and entertainment area attached to the center and the trail. I love it. 

For GVSU to be FCS they would need to average 15,000 paid attendance over a rolling two year period. Realistically if you had a FCS college team/USL soccer team, building a 25,000 person stadium is going to cost a lot more then $40 million unless that's very bare bones type of facility.

I think having a large soccer field complex so you can have regional tournaments would have the highest boost for the cost.

Archived