Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gman430

Stone Avenue at Main Street mixed use development.

63 posts in this topic

And here we go: http://m.wyff4.com/blob/view/-/21780510/data/2/-/xl1u9ez/-/Aug--20-version-of-plan.pdf

Public meeting tomorrow: http://m.wyff4.com/news/draft-of-stonenorth-main-plan-to-be-revealed-at-meeting/-/17443906/21780010/-/2nmelp/-/index.html

edit: whoops...forgot there was already a thread on this.  :blush:

Edited by gman430

No renderings?

Preliminary renderings will probably be released at tomorrow's meeting.

Edited by gman430

Was hoping for a little height on this key corner. Would have been a great site with great views of downtown. Very lukewarm on this project.

They're definitely going for "neighborhood" and following the Stone Ave Master Plan. I'm ok with it so far.

Was hoping for a little height on this key corner. Would have been a great site with great views of downtown. Very lukewarm on this project.

I spoke to two of their staff members last night, and the drawings shown are in their words a 'first draft', literally. 

I specifically recommended adding height and prominence on the corner.  They said they had already heard that comment several times, and that changes in that regard are a definite.  

1 person likes this

I'm surprised people living in that area would support more height on that corner. 

I'm surprised people living in that area would support more height on that corner. 

Maybe because Stone is kind of in a valley so it can have more height and not be too obstructive/over-powering? I think more height on that corner is needed as well to set a standard for this side of Main.

Did you see the comment in the Greenville news where some people view Noth Main as being a neighborhood families and were upset to see the number of studio and one bedroom apartments. Apparently its dangerous for single people to live in the same neighborhood and families.

Did you see the comment in the Greenville news where some people view Noth Main as being a neighborhood families and were upset to see the number of studio and one bedroom apartments. Apparently its dangerous for single people to live in the same neighborhood and families.

Don't read too much into that.   The media is always looking for the 'conflict' in any situation.  One or two people out of a hundred does not constitute a majority either.   While I wasn't at the ENTIRE meeting, I think the concern is centered around increased traffic on side streets (Rowley) being dangerous to small children.

All traffic is dangerous to small children. Keep your kids out of the road and the problem is solved.

Don't read too much into that.   The media is always looking for the 'conflict' in any situation.  One or two people out of a hundred does not constitute a majority either.   While I wasn't at the ENTIRE meeting, I think the concern is centered around increased traffic on side streets (Rowley) being dangerous to small children.

What are small children doing in the street??

What are small children doing in the street??

Children aren't adults, they don't know better when they are very young.  The volume of traffic will increase exponentially, so the risk is greater.  That's the logic, but obviously any development will increase traffic, so it is flawed, IMO.

The size is about what I expected. I did expect a different architectural style though and a bit more retail. But I can certainly live with that proposal.

Interesting. This is a bigger development than I had thought. Will dramatically change the intersection. The question is, does it fit into the master plan effectively?

I agree, this will make a huge impact on the development of The North End. I hope they can effectively make that portion of Main Street feel smaller and more intimate. It always seems rather wide, but I think that is partially the undeveloped nature and setbacks in the vicinity. Can't wait to see how this moves forward.

I love the density, but hope the design will be a better fit for the neighborhood than the renderings indicate. Some details certainly are "different". The window layout on the backside of the main building seems hideous, in my opinion.

Don't forget about the development proposed across Rowley Street also. That will add even more density and mixed uses to this project.

Edited by gman430

Main at Stone

Rowley at Stone

River at Broad

Church at Uni Ridge

Augusta at Thurston

Keep um coming!

Don't forget Rhett at Wardlaw (under construction) and the new mixed-use development at the corner of Washington and Richardson. Another phase of RiverPlace may finally be visible on the horizon as well, if the rumors are valid. Any updates available regarding the "Gateway" site plans?

Don't forget about the development proposed across Rowley Street also. That will add even more density and mixed uses to this project.

Wow I guess I didnt put two and two together on where that Rowley St. development was. I thought THIS was that development but had grown in scale. That whole corner is going to have a lot going on.

Anyone know when this, and the one on Rowley/Stone, are planned to start?

3rd quarter 2014 and 1st quarter 2014. 

Edited by gman430