Stone Avenue at Main Street mixed use development.

gman430

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was hoping for a little height on this key corner. Would have been a great site with great views of downtown. Very lukewarm on this project.

I spoke to two of their staff members last night, and the drawings shown are in their words a 'first draft', literally. 

I specifically recommended adding height and prominence on the corner.  They said they had already heard that comment several times, and that changes in that regard are a definite.  

Did you see the comment in the Greenville news where some people view Noth Main as being a neighborhood families and were upset to see the number of studio and one bedroom apartments. Apparently its dangerous for single people to live in the same neighborhood and families.

Did you see the comment in the Greenville news where some people view Noth Main as being a neighborhood families and were upset to see the number of studio and one bedroom apartments. Apparently its dangerous for single people to live in the same neighborhood and families.

Don't read too much into that.   The media is always looking for the 'conflict' in any situation.  One or two people out of a hundred does not constitute a majority either.   While I wasn't at the ENTIRE meeting, I think the concern is centered around increased traffic on side streets (Rowley) being dangerous to small children.

Don't read too much into that.   The media is always looking for the 'conflict' in any situation.  One or two people out of a hundred does not constitute a majority either.   While I wasn't at the ENTIRE meeting, I think the concern is centered around increased traffic on side streets (Rowley) being dangerous to small children.

What are small children doing in the street??

What are small children doing in the street??

Children aren't adults, they don't know better when they are very young.  The volume of traffic will increase exponentially, so the risk is greater.  That's the logic, but obviously any development will increase traffic, so it is flawed, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.  This is a bigger development than I had thought.  Will dramatically change the intersection.  The question is, does it fit into the master plan effectively?

Interesting. This is a bigger development than I had thought. Will dramatically change the intersection. The question is, does it fit into the master plan effectively?

I agree, this will make a huge impact on the development of The North End. I hope they can effectively make that portion of Main Street feel smaller and more intimate. It always seems rather wide, but I think that is partially the undeveloped nature and setbacks in the vicinity. Can't wait to see how this moves forward.

Don't forget about the development proposed across Rowley Street also. That will add even more density and mixed uses to this project.

Wow I guess I didnt put two and two together on where that Rowley St. development was. I thought THIS was that development but had grown in scale. That whole corner is going to have a lot going on.

Archived