MSU Biomedical Research Campus - Phase II

GRDadof3

I do see a dedicated bus only lane east bound, is that already there?   It would be nice if those were landscaped islands rather than just concrete barriers.  The islands are also allowing for a "safe" zone at the cross walks in the middle of the east and west bound traffic lanes.  

It also appears that they are adjusting the curb a bit in front of the Rowe, making the sidewalks wider?

I can't tell whether the islands will be concrete or landscaped.

1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

I do see a dedicated bus only lane east bound, is that already there?   It would be nice if those were landscaped islands rather than just concrete barriers.  The islands are also allowing for a "safe" zone at the cross walks in the middle of the east and west bound traffic lanes.  

It also appears that they are adjusting the curb a bit in front of the Rowe, making the sidewalks wider?

This would be an extension of the eastbound bus lane that currently runs from the end of the Division-to-Ionia ramp to about Coit or Barclay.

The Rowe will indeed get a wider sidewalk, and so will the new MSU building. Seems they're eliminating the westbound right turn lanes at Monroe and at the Post Office to do this.

Other things I've noticed:

• new crosswalk (with median refuge) on Michigan at the east end of the bridge
  • southbound Ottawa gets a dual left turn lane onto Michigan
  • eastbound traffic on Michigan turning north onto Ionia/I-196 can safely queue past Ottawa, nearly to Monroe, without impeding through traffic
  • no more "swerving" for through traffic on Michigan - currently, when heading west, the lanes move right in the Ionia intersection and left in the Ottawa intersection, and when heading east, the lanes move left at Ionia

1 hour ago, getemngo said:

I can't tell whether the islands will be concrete or landscaped.

This would be an extension of the eastbound bus lane that currently runs from the end of the Division-to-Ionia ramp to about Coit or Barclay.

The Rowe will indeed get a wider sidewalk, and so will the new MSU building. Seems they're eliminating the westbound right turn lanes at Monroe and at the Post Office to do this.

Other things I've noticed:

• new crosswalk (with median refuge) on Michigan at the east end of the bridge
  • southbound Ottawa gets a dual left turn lane onto Michigan
  • eastbound traffic on Michigan turning north onto Ionia/I-196 can safely queue past Ottawa, nearly to Monroe, without impeding through traffic
  • no more "swerving" for through traffic on Michigan - currently, when heading west, the lanes move right in the Ionia intersection and left in the Ottawa intersection, and when heading east, the lanes move left at Ionia

Good eyes. I'll see if I can load a higher quality version. 

25213509504_87934c0c49_o.jpg

25844018755_c36033a061_o.jpg

9 hours ago, mielsonwheels said:

Is this going to coincide with the restructuring of the on and off ramps to I-196?

I believe so, according to that article you posted a little while ago. 

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/06/roundabout_reconfigured_i-196.html

I notice there are no bike lanes. Too much going on in this area to accommodate? 

25830626386_5ecb151623_o.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

MSU is almost completely closed in. What's the estimated completion/opening date? I do like that the silver metal panels look a lot like the convention center's. As you come up on it from the East, it almost looks like one massive campus. 

27324230054_a8540692c6_b.jpg

11 hours ago, john_denver said:

What again is going in street level?  Anything for the public or all MSU?  I assume being a Bio Med Research Facility they won't have any Italian restaurants...

I think there was some sort of cafe' on the plan but probably like the one at Cook Devos. 

• 5 months later...
On 12/1/2016 at 3:41 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Yes, I don't think they're gonna make it. All of that excavation work has probably shocked the roots as well, probably will die in a year anyway. 

I really hope they replant trees there, if they do. More trees would look great.  I do love the taller evergreens along the rock wall across Michigan though. 

1 hour ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

I really hope they replant trees there, if they do. More trees would look great.  I do love the taller evergreens along the rock wall across Michigan though. 

They will, those are concrete planter boxes that you see and the city is really pushing to have street trees wherever possible. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Nice photos of the MSU building in this article. Sounds like it'll be fully in action by November. Also says some of the windows were built to be converted to a skywalk if/when future development happens. 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2017/04/first_look_inside_msus_88m_med.html#incart_gallery

Joe

38 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Nice photos of the MSU building in this article. Sounds like it'll be fully in action by November. Also says some of the windows were built to be converted to a skywalk if/when future development happens. 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2017/04/first_look_inside_msus_88m_med.html#incart_gallery

Joe

I like the front, sides, and interior...But the back of that building is hideous. Notice how that wasn't included in the mix of pictures. It's unfortunate, because that's the side that faces the highway. 

16 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I like the front, sides, and interior...But the back of that building is hideous. Notice how that wasn't included in the mix of pictures. It's unfortunate, because that's the side that faces the highway. 

I'm hoping their thinking was it'll be covered up by whatever else is going to be built on that site, so why bother.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GRLaker said:

I've been wondering for a while if the back side was finished this way because of costs, or because they plan on having a parking ramp there. Sounds like they do plan on having a ramp at some point, so if it butts up against this building there would be no point in making the backside look nice.   With that said, I'm also not thrilled with looking at a parking ramp from the freeway either. I assume the parking ramp would also be apart of the development zone directly to the north connecting to that building too.  Maybe the 2 other development areas would hide the ramp. It will be interesting to see if we hear news on developing the other sites soon or if they will sit vacant for 10-15 years. That RFP never really took off or did I forget/miss something. 

msu_preliminary_2.jpg

Edited by mpchicago

• 1 month later...