MSU Biomedical Research Campus - Phase II

GRDadof3

55 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I've thought about a skywalk, but i think the building would have to be pretty tall (and entry would be near the top of the building) and it would be insanely long. :)

In the MiBiz article, they talk about tenants from MSU, plus companies from Israel, Chicago, and Grand Rapids (including Spectrum Health). Maybe a lot of the space is already accounted for?

Joe

The MLive article says they're talking to 5 potential tenants already. Pretty exciting.

3 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

"The size of the building has not been finalized, though VanGessel said he expects it to range from 200,000-square-feet to 250,000-square-feet, and it could be seven- to nine-floors high. That’s larger than the MSU research center, which is a six-story, 162,800 square-foot-building."

https://www.mlive.com/news/2018/12/new-research-building-puts-msu-grand-rapids-at-epicenter-of-healthcare-innovation-university-says.html

And from another article: 

According to VanGessel, renderings of potential design concepts exist, but the partners are not yet ready shared them. Still, he said the new building will keep with the design themes of the research center.

“There’s elements of it that will be a sister building of sorts,” he said. “We don’t want it to look out of place, yet we want it to be special.”

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/second-phase-of-msu-s-grand-rapids-research-center-to-help-bring-innovation-to-market

Sounds good to me! 

9 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

We neeeeeddd the renderings, give us the renderings. Just like the RDV remake of the 5/3 building. Give.us.the.crack. :rofl:

Tired of this bullcrap. :)  j/k love all of you developers/change makers. 

Pretty soon we'll need to start making an entirely separate list of not just predictions/developments we are excited about, but just RENDERINGS we're excited about. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 12:24 PM, joeDowntown said:

I’d love to see something that really makes a statement (of course, I’m sure we’d love to see that with every project downtown). I’ve always thought it would be cool to have something that “leans out” over the expressway offramp to sort of span the gap between the bottom of the hill and the top of the hill. I thought this building (part of MBRE’s portfolio)  was kind of interesting (imagining the highest point stretches east).

A41A7A51-3470-4FEE-A305-2A2AE227F676.jpeg

File this under "noone cares" - my friend works in that building! haha. It's in a weird spot in suburban Chicago that has a grocery store, apartments, a gym, etc. on the campus but it's all very car-centric. 

2 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Pretty soon we'll need to start making an entirely separate list of not just predictions/developments we are excited about, but just RENDERINGS we're excited about. 

Pictures. Look at the pretty pictures.... :rofl:  OK I'm looking forward to a little time off soon. 

2 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

File this under "noone cares" - my friend works in that building! haha. It's in a weird spot in suburban Chicago that has a grocery store, apartments, a gym, etc. on the campus but it's all very car-centric. 

Let me guess, somewhere in the Itasca-Schaumburg-Arlington Heights sprawl? 

1 hour ago, GVSUChris said:

Yeah, it's a bit of a suburban bunker. What I like is the shape of the building. The bottom reminds me of the 5/3 / Vandenburg plaza bunker wall that extends across Lyon and Monroe. :)

On 12/18/2018 at 9:44 AM, joeDowntown said:

Yeah, it's a bit of a suburban bunker. What I like is the shape of the building. The bottom reminds me of the 5/3 / Vandenburg plaza bunker wall that extends across Lyon and Monroe. :)

At least in that case the bunker wall is facing the expressway where it's a little more justified.

I know this isn't related to Grand Rapids, but it relates to an earlier discussion about MSU working with a healthcare system to have an MSU hospital. Looks like MSU partnered with McLaren to build a new hospital next to the MSU campus. While it's not a Michigan State University Healthcare, it does seem to be a strong partnership. Could we eventually see McLaren make inroads into Grand Rapids by way of that partnership?

mclaren-building-rendering.jpg

6 hours ago, GRLaker said:

I know this isn't related to Grand Rapids, but it relates to an earlier discussion about MSU working with a healthcare system to have an MSU hospital. Looks like MSU partnered with McLaren to build a new hospital next to the MSU campus. While it's not a Michigan State University Healthcare, it does seem to be a strong partnership. Could we eventually see McLaren make inroads into Grand Rapids by way of that partnership?

MSU already has  similar partnerships with Spectrum which is a larger organization with a wider focus, and more programs.   I'm not sure what benefit McLaren would have trying to enter this market unless it was some kind of merger with Spectrum.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 5:59 PM, MJLO said:

MSU already has  similar partnerships with Spectrum which is a larger organization with a wider focus, and more programs.   I'm not sure what benefit McLaren would have trying to enter this market unless it was some kind of merger with Spectrum.

Having worked in healthcare in West Michigan most of my career, I can't imagine McLaren trying to enter the Grand Rapids market. They don't have the name recognition in this area, regardless of quality of care and as MJLO pointed out, MSU has already chosen to partner with Spectrum. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Sooo... wonder when we'll hear an update on this project? They said possibly January and now we're into Mid - March... 

I think in late January/into February the trustees had to sign off on the agreement with the for-profit arm of the development. I haven't heard anything since that. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

MSU hired a new president, who is a research scientist/physician  it’ll be interesting to see if his background puts more emphasis on this project (or changes it)  

Sure seems like a slow news cycle for development (in general). Wonder when they’ll share more detailed plans?

Joe

• Like 1

Starting this fall...curious as to who the ground floor tenant is.  At first I read this as a building with 600 parking spaces in it and was thinking "How tall is this going to be?" but then I saw the site plan and realized that's going to be behind this building.  Anyway, more cranes ahead!  =)

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/construction-on-msu-medical-innovation-center-in-grand-rapids-to-begin-this-fall?fbclid=IwAR0gieN3NuU15_egpEI4IraNXRSjEWu0l8V2LwjlYFSRRQL9rKZ4sMyD0go

• Like 2