MSU Biomedical Research Campus - Phase II

GRDadof3

Probably because they moved here, yes?

there were only three before they moved here. that includes both the DO and MD programs as well. Med schools just don't take up very much space as most of the classes can be in one room for the bulk of the lectures. you may have some smaller rooms for small group sessions. There will also be some lab space for anatomy and histology/pathology but that is about it.  very little for the students.  there is much more for admin and professors office space.

Contact lenses with OLEDs in them, nanobots delivering drugs in the body, self healing synthetic muscles, 3D printed organs, the Human Brain Project, and transhumanism. These things exist today and I can only imagine what they will spawn tomorrow.

So yes, there is a large amount of need for Biotech research / development. 

There is one thing that MSU is talking about bringing to Grand Rapids that might be a bit contentious in the community. Will be interesting when the news come out.

The first thing that popped into my head was this: http://stemcellresearch.msu.edu/recent-projects

I think any kind of biotech facility will be doing stem cell research, both embryonic and other forms. I was referring to testing on animals. I can't recall the term for this type of facility, but it starts with bio.... something.

I understand though that VARI has a large cache of mice that they test on, kept in warm confines in the lower bowels of the building. But it's so secretive that I don't think there's ever been an article on it.

I understand though that VARI has a large cache of mice that they test on, kept in warm confines in the lower bowels of the building. But it's so secretive that I don't think there's ever been an article on it.

Well testing, whatever the outcome, never ends well for the mice.  I suspect it would be hard for VARI to churn out an uplifting PR piece, at least not from the mouse perspective.   

Won't someone please think of the mice?!

You'd be surprised. The Humane Society keeps close tabs on these facilities. I'll bet there will be at least some uproar/picketing/etc.. I don't know though if it will be the post office site or the next phase...

Well testing, whatever the outcome, never ends well for the mice.  I suspect it would be hard for VARI to churn out an uplifting PR piece, at least not from the mouse perspective.   

Exactly. :)

• 2 months later...

OMG, this is hilarious. The only thing I can surmise is that this article went through a translator to another language and then back to English. :)

http://www.minewsfeed.com/grand-rapids/rfq-issued-for-new-msu-grand-rapids-biomedical-research-center/

"Michigan State University is deliberation dual smoothness options for a biomedical investigate core in Grand Rapids:....

"Meddlesome, smoothness and trickery." Love it. :)

Still looking for the designs that were put out for the recent RFP...

OMG, this is hilarious. The only thing I can surmise is that this article went through a translator to another language and then back to English. :)

http://www.minewsfeed.com/grand-rapids/rfq-issued-for-new-msu-grand-rapids-biomedical-research-center/

"Michigan State University is deliberation dual smoothness options for a biomedical investigate core in Grand Rapids:....

My understanding is that only three developers (who are not named) qualified via RFQ.  And that the RFP are not due until July 29.  I doubt we will see anything before then.

"Dual smoothness"? This thing has GOT to be awesome. :)

Joe

I think this is what it said before it got tossed into the translator:

http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2014/rfq-issued-for-new-msu-grand-rapids-biomedical-research-center/

Still hard to read but not as funny.

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds promising.

"As part of the request for proposals issued to three pre-qualified development groups, MSU is open to having other uses developed at the 4.1-acre site. Possible ancillary uses could include office, retail, commercial and even residential developments that would accompany the research center, university officials told MiBiz. -

This sounds promising.

"As part of the request for proposals issued to three pre-qualified development groups, MSU is open to having other uses developed at the 4.1-acre site. Possible ancillary uses could include office, retail, commercial and even residential developments that would accompany the research center, university officials told MiBiz. -

Could they maybe hide a parking facility in there that would serve Olds Manor so that place could be redeveloped into a nice hotel again?  Kind of like how the Amway Grand has its parking across Pearl Street.

Could they maybe hide a parking facility in there that would serve Olds Manor so that place could be redeveloped into a nice hotel again?  Kind of like how the Amway Grand has its parking across Pearl Street.

For all we know RDV is one of the approved 3 developers.   I can only imagine they would have something like that in mind if that were the case.   Especially with the mystery surrounding the post office. 

For all we know RDV is one of the approved 3 developers.   I can only imagine they would have something like that in mind if that were the case.   Especially with the mystery surrounding the post office. 

RDV has to be one of the developers. I can't imagine them sitting this one out. SIBSCO/Secchia/Rockford maybe another? Anyone think Orion is crazy enough to jump in on this? Or have the wherewithall? Who's left, CWD?

I don't remember where I read it, but two of the developers are Michigan based. And one is a national developer.

I have no idea who the developers are, but I think a good guess is The Christman Company.  They do a lot of work for MSU, including the College of Human Medicine, and the Biomedical and Physical Sciences facility in East Lansing.

It is likely that the national developer has partnered with a local developer. CWD is probably a good candidate for the local developer.  In the past they partnered with a Chicago developer for The Gallery on Fulton.  And CWD have experience in medical facilities (primarily Spectrum Health).

Edited by Gorath

I'm surprised there isn't more national interest. MSU sounds like a pretty solid tenant to me, and it'd be a good way for a national developer to get into this market.

Joe

I don't think there as many national large-scale infill developers as there used to be. And they're probably only looking at very hot downtown residential markets like Denver or San Francisco. Who knows.

Here's what I think would be cool for this site. The Eastern curved glass building would be MSU, facing up the hill and a bold looking buildling from the highway (unlike their drab HQ up the hill).

The Western curved masonry and glass building would be residential, 12 - 15 floors to capture views of the river North and South, with a bit of commercial thrown in. And taller than the Federal building!

Grass and forested courtyard in the middle (a real campus) with a walkway that connects to the tunnel that runs under the highway for future expansion/Monroe North connectivity.

14640307753_00c9c4f792_b.jpg

Watergate complex in DC was the inspiration. I know it has a certain reputation but the complex is probably one of the coolest to see in real life. Curvature!

watergate1.jpg

In fact, now might be the time for the city to consider adding a parking ramp behind Brassworks/Monroe Terrace to help alleviate staff and student parking at MSU, since MSU will be creating pressure in that area and the ramp would be an easy walk.

14433941068_c042a4f4f7_o.jpg

I don't remember where I read it, but two of the developers are Michigan based. And one is a national developer.

I have no idea who the developers are, but I think a good guess is The Christman Company.  They do a lot of work for MSU, including the College of Human Medicine, and the Biomedical and Physical Sciences facility in East Lansing.

Christman/RDV have to be involved.  Along with the Secchia Center, they also developed towers 25, 35, and I think the Holton Cancer Paviloin. 

http://www.christmanco.com/portfolio.asp?id=33&cat_id=2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...