MSU Biomedical Research Campus - Phase II

GRDadof3

• 2 weeks later...

The sidewalk covering they put up makes it look like we're a real city. :-P I personally can't recall seeing that anywhere in the city previously. They are hauling butt on this project.

What's the word in construction circles about the COVID shutdown? Working outside.....will work continue?

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grandrollerz said:

The sidewalk covering they put up makes it look like we're a real city. :-P I personally can't recall seeing that anywhere in the city previously. They are hauling butt on this project.

What's the word in construction circles about the COVID shutdown? Working outside.....will work continue?

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T) using Tapatalk

I believe construction was apart of the critical industries that can keep operating during quarantine. I know a partner at an interior design firm in the hospitality industry and consensus at the board meetings were minus ~70% as highly like scenario for the industry until Q3. How that translates into construction? I'm not sure.

22 hours ago, Chisox said:

I believe construction was apart of the critical industries that can keep operating during quarantine. I know a partner at an interior design firm in the hospitality industry and consensus at the board meetings were minus ~70% as highly like scenario for the industry until Q3. How that translates into construction? I'm not sure.

Construction is considered critical.  I work for a bathtub manufacturer and we haven't slowed any of our production because it's considered "critical".  I've been stuck down here in South Boston VA(cue banjos) working for the past two weeks because of it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MJLO said:

Construction is considered critical.  I work for a bathtub manufacturer and we haven't slowed any of our production because it's considered "critical".  I've been stuck down here in South Boston VA(cue banjos) working for the past two weeks because of it. 

Critical = just exempt from quarantine not market disruption.  

A lot of us are on catch-up. The economy was in over drive before this and we're just hanging on to the flywheel now not sure if the engine is still running and doing it with loads of social distancing and alcohol. 

We're just going to have to see. Everyone is on someone else's contract and assuming cash flow was good in Q4 2019 that will get us through Q1. Who has cash flow and is credit flowing? Does that even matter if the consumer isn't moving? 

Edited by Chisox
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Chisox said:

A lot of us are on catch-up. The economy was in over drive before this and we're just hanging on to the flywheel now not sure if the engine is still running and doing it with loads of social distancing and alcohol. 

This is a very interesting observation.  While it's a guess as to how this eventually plays out I can't help thinking it was fortunate to happen now than during an economy on uncertain footing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 11:59 AM, ironyisadeadscene said:

I really wish they had put apartments above this to add density to the north side of DT. And give employees and students a really great possibility of living where they study and work. 

Hopefully they'll do something like that with the future building that will face Monroe?

Joe

I noticed the other day that the building still has a lot to go. They basically built the long part of the “L” and are now working on the north side with the cutout/drive. It should be a pretty massive structure. Wonder if they brought the crane to work on the support beams for the northeast portion?

Joe

A couple of things I noticed with the steel framing: It looks like the top floor is recessed to provide for a rooftop patio, which I didn't pick up on in the earlier designs, which also creates a slight jog in the building on the East side. From the earlier renderings it looked a bit "blocky" but it's taking on a different form now with at least some variation in the facade. 

JFKAWGB33VC2NINJPJSA4RYDXY.jpg&key=1f4f8

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 9:00 AM, GRDadof3 said:

The big support poles are up on the Northwest corner. Looks pretty cool from the highway. 

image.png.c0cea1e2022cd53d0c063a180c1762

For as meh as this project has been, this corner is pretty sweet. Looking forward to riding by it this week. I'll try and snap a photo. 

18 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

What is mind blowing/mind numbing is that this “grand entrance” faces the newly built parking garage and a the loading dock for the other building... 

They made such a big deal about developing that GR Press for a high and better purpose than its old urban renewal design, and replaced it with....well...a homage to urban renewal design...

Totally agree!

• Like 2

x3 What joke, put it behind a precast concrete parking ramp. The restns of it looks like a little different version of the cubes on Michigan Street. Drive from GVSU at Lafayette to Monroe. No street level interaction at any of the boxes.  How s it any different then the City County Wall on Monroe except these have windows with shades of tinted glass.  At least City County has some vegetation to screen some of it.

• Like 3