MSU Biomedical Research Campus - Phase II

GRDadof3

On 6/24/2022 at 10:41 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Since we're always thinking of these things in additional development terms (lol), maybe they'll have to expand North of I-196. Since they're already partnered with MSU and MSU owns that land...

yeah, just from clicking around on the parcel viewer, it looks like MSU owns about 3 acres north of the highway. i didn't realize that before.

23 hours ago, walker said:

GOOD NEWS, there's another new tenant for the Doug Meijer Medical Innovation Building.  It's a "Startup Office Incubator"  according to the WOODTV news article and what I think may be their official press release below.  After reading the links I'm a little fuzzy about what they are offering exactly other than some new office space  and some mentoring and the hope that if some young tech entrepreneurs move in on the same floor together then they will talk to each other and develop some "synergy" and come up with something great.  I'm old so it's probably not important that I understand what they are up to, and likely there's more to this than they are telling right now anyway.

WOODTV: new-incubator-in-grand-rapids-supports-tech-startups

spartan-innovations-and-health-innovation-partners-announce-startup-office-incubator-the-bridge-on-medical-mile-in-downtown-grand-rapids

Sounds similar to other incubators/tech spaces (like Start Garden). Hoping they'll pull in entrepreneurs that are leveraging the labs / BAMF facilities or MSU Grads looking to push research findings to commercial products. That would help differentiate what's already out there (Start Garden seems to incubate smaller businesses / side hustles turned into full time businesses).

Joe

• 3 months later...
On 6/24/2022 at 9:15 AM, GRDadof3 said:

I heard Dr Chang of BAMF speak at a Chamber event recently and that company is really impressive. I didn't realize they had the only cyclotrons in the world that they developed and have patents/FDA approval for that detect cancer and then cyclotrons that treat cancer. In the fraction of the time and way more precise than radiation or chemotherapy (molecular level precise). They expect a huge rush in patients from all over the country once they get fully up and running. They gave one example with one form of cancer (prostate) that once you're diagnosed traditionally, it's just basically you're waiting to die. Whereas with BAMF they have a proven 80% survival rate with their treatment. I'm paraphrasing obviously. 

. . . Cool stuff happening here in GR. 

In case your curiosity is peaked:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2022/05/bamf-health-brings-worlds-most-advanced-medical-scanning-technology-to-grand-rapids.html

An interesting story in the Detroit Free Press today, somewhat similar to the Mlive article, about Doug Meijer's so far successful fight against prostate cancer leading him to invest in BAMF so people who do not have his means can take advantage of their advanced technology without having to fly to Germany for treatment. 

You need a subscription to access:

Free Press: new cancer center had help from one of michigans wealthiest families    

If you don't currently have a subscription and can't find your credit card just now there's this work around:

https://archive.ph/

edit: here's the raw https address to plug into the archive link:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/columnists/carol-cain/2023/05/06/new-cancer-center-had-help-from-one-of-michigans-wealthiest-families/70182507007/

Edited by walker
  • Like 1