MSU Biomedical Research Campus - Phase II

GRDadof3

It's about time.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/76224-city-may-join-county-in-land-sale

Reminded me to drag out the old streetcar study of yesteryears, and what they envisioned for this land as a TOD:

http://www.ridetherapid.org/assets/files/1v/grand%20rapids%20streetcar%20final%20report%202008july03.pdf

I think the mix is county land (the parcel just above I-196), then city, then MSU, then city?

Don't forget the other county lot across the street is mentioned as a possibility too:

The county also owns a parking lot across Monroe Avenue from its riverfront property; that site likely will be included in the RFP as an optional purchase. The lot is immediately north of Quality Auto.

Sorry for stealing the image, Gorath, but if you don't mind my tweaking a bit...

306293_10100453719454395_1966557876_n.jp

All in all, this is a lot of damn land.  I wonder if MSU intends to hold on to those lots for their own parking?

Edited by RegalTDP

Since it's not connected to another project, like the original MSU - CHM was, maybe MSU will be able to be a little more bold. Let's hope so.

Take your pick. Various biotech buildings around the country/world.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=biotechnology+building&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43148975,d.aWM&biw=1280&bih=592&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=6pczUbboA-nWygHK14HoAg#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=biotechnology+building&oq=biotechnology+building&gs_l=img.3..0i24l6.24264.25670.2.25841.14.7.0.7.7.1.205.584.5j1j1.7.0...0.0...1c.1.5.img.JslOolKqpSQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43148975,d.aWc&fp=7009ae8d5eae85fd&biw=1280&bih=592

Since the federal courthouse across the street is never going to go anywhere, maybe they can do something to spruce up that section of Michigan Street. The federal building is green, MSU's colors are green...

As long as we're putting out our wants and hopes, I hope they build on half the parcel and sell the other half to a residential developer.  That parcel can fit 3 buildings of CHM's size, and I'd hate to see all that space go to a single building surrounded by landscaping and parking.

644180_10100456101540675_1674304551_n.jp

I know that stretch of Michigan is a dead zone, but I still think a city block's worth of land should have a city block's worth of use.  I'll give MSU a pass if they hire Frank Gehry to design an iconic masterpiece, but otherwise, I don't want to see another Press building taking up the whole block.

As long as we're putting out our wants and hopes, I hope they build on half the parcel and sell the other half to a residential developer.  That parcel can fit 3 buildings of CHM's size, and I'd hate to see all that space go to a single building surrounded by landscaping and parking.

644180_10100456101540675_1674304551_n.jp

I know that stretch of Michigan is a dead zone, but I still think a city block's worth of land should have a city block's worth of use.  I'll give MSU a pass if they hire Frank Gehry to design an iconic masterpiece, but otherwise, I don't want to see another Press building taking up the whole block.

Interesting. I don't know if MSU would build residential (dormitory basically) on site? What's the enrollment estimated to reach at peak? 400 students?

I guess I was thinking something along the lines of UM-Flint/Dearborn  not only Med School

I can't imagine that kind of investment without some major input from the MSU Board, and I haven't seen or heard anything along those lines. I could be wrong. I think right now it's mainly focused on expanding their medical research work (which they have been open about in the press). I believe MSU is trying to beef up their research work to be more comparable with other Big Ten schools. Check out their FRIB project and other research expansions at their East Lansing campus.

If you're hoping for more than that, you'll probably be disappointed when they start making announcements. :)

Is the county / city land being offered for sale as one RFP or separate RFPs?

If both sold in one RFP, do you think MSU would sell their property.  Or is MSU the interested buyer?  I'm guessing that someone approached the county about buying their land.  But the county has to sell it via RFP.  Will we see another RFP like the city did at Fulton/Ionia tailored toward one developer.

Not to get off topic, but when will U of M enter the GR market? Heck, they have a Flint campus, why not GR? ;)

Joe

They did. It was the Junior College -- this was founded as a preparatory school for Michigan. There's a reason their colors are maize and blue. 

Is the county / city land being offered for sale as one RFP or separate RFPs?

If both sold in one RFP, do you think MSU would sell their property.  Or is MSU the interested buyer?  I'm guessing that someone approached the county about buying their land.  But the county has to sell it via RFP.  Will we see another RFP like the city did at Fulton/Ionia tailored toward one developer.

From the article:

"Swanson made it clear that bids will be able to be made on the three

county parcels without having to bid on the city lot, if the city

becomes part of the RFP, or the county’s lot across the street. She

hopes to have the RFP issued by the end of March."

• 2 months later...