MSU Biomedical Research Campus - Phase II

GRDadof3

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

This project looks like it's just about wrapped up. Landscaping looks really sharp, with some cool park benches. I'll see if I can get some pictures today. 

Hard to believe 4 1/2 years have passed since the announcement. 

I noticed the landscaping and benches on a bike ride a few days ago, looking sharp. 

7 hours ago, The ATX said:

Grand Rapids has done an excellent job in creating a top notch medical district.  Where does Grand Rapids rank on a state or regional level as a research center or a treatment destination? 

I don't know if I've ever seen such a ranking, but Statewide I'd say only Ann Arbor UofM and the Wayne State University area in Detroit have similar biomedical clusters. UofM's is stronger than GR's. 

Nationally you have to get up to some pretty large Tier I/II cities to find similar biomedical clusters, and they're all pretty much tied to major universities (like MSU here now).

I was joking probably 6 - 8 years ago that the "cool dress" in Grand Rapids was going to be medical scrubs and sure enough, I see people in scrubs around town every day now. Especially at the Knapp's Corner Meijer. 

• Like 1

Grand Rapids is fortunate to be surrounded by world class healthcare systems. Spectrum Health is pretty routinely ranked on the national level in most publications and is one of the largest in the state. Mercy Health is tied to a healthcare system so large that it has lobbyists in Washington. Metro is now tied to UofM. And on the Lakeshore, Holland Hospital has been ranked a top 50 and 100 hospital nationally by a couple publications. Now we can add the MSU Medical School and Research Center to go along with the VAI. Plus, we have one of the largest mental health organizations in the country in Pine Rest. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Edited by GRLaker
  • Like 3

I've always wondered if they ever had discussions to rename Spectrum Health into the "Michigan State University Health System".  That type of rebranding would raise the profile of both organizations, and give MSU's program a tool to rival U of M's system.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MJLO said:

I've always wondered if they ever had discussions to rename Spectrum Health into the "Michigan State University Health System".  That type of rebranding would raise the profile of both organizations, and give MSU's program a tool to rival U of M's system.

It's not widely known, but Michigan State does have its own "health system." It's called the Health Team. They seem to serve more as a training health system that serves mostly Medicaid patients though, so they're not your typical healthcare organization.

12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Here y'all go:

35456618815_c6e5f68e5b_b.jpg

This section of sidewalk is open to the public now, they actually have it as a "detour" route because the other side is blocked with I-196 bridge construction.

35416598496_2630cc1434_b.jpg

35456617415_e1dc209cb1_b.jpg

Yesterday I saw kids using the benches outside of Biomedical for skateboarding.  Someone from the facility came running out to stop them.  It was funny, but not due to the benches most likely getting ruined if the skateboarding catches on.

I-196 bridge widening.

35289966432_9c66f899b9_b.jpg

5 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I really do like those benches. Seriously, skateboarders, dont mess those up!

I would give the corner a little more time, the whole of the site hasn't been fully developed yet.

Compared to the sarcophagus which was there before it's a night and day difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prankster said:

Very sterile. Hope they do some great things inside the building, because the outside doesn't do anything for that corner. 

Hey, not every corner in town can have dead retail space in it. :rofl:

I'm not against skateboarding, but seriously I can imagine riding those benches will do a lot of damage to what look like really expensive hand crafted wood benches. WTF.

1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I really do like those benches. Seriously, skateboarders, dont mess those up!

I would give the corner a little more time, the whole of the site hasn't been fully developed yet.

Post a sign that says all skateboarders that damage MSU property will immediately be subject to forced medical experimentation. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Michigan Street rebuild is just about wrapping up, at least this portion from Monroe to Ottawa. Looks purdy with the trees. 

If there's one thing GR has done way better than Detroit, it's planting trees every chance it gets downtown. 

35743562366_2a52d1744e_b.jpg

34944067014_7a07e4a599_b.jpg

34974287253_f1bcd32ebe_b.jpg

April 29th, 2015:

17129550850_f94b660d45_b.jpg

I did a walkabout downtown so I took some pictures of trees that the DDA has planted in the last 10 years or so. :)

34944261724_953361ccbb_b.jpg

35784524885_a861a173cd_b.jpg

Or even more recently, like outside of Wolfgang Pucks:

35743699516_2a1d9237ce_b.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Research labs are pretty much "not very exciting," nothing like those sci-fi movies make them out to be, but here ya go anyway:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/09/msus_88m_grand_rapids_research.html

I actually think the building doesn't look that bad from the highway side now. 

All and all I think the building came out well.

It's interesting that there is no name associated with this building yet.   Are they waiting for a bigger check than those written by Rich DeVos and Peter Secchia?

Also wonder if we will hear, anytime soon,  if there are any plans in the pipeline for the remainder of the property.

2 hours ago, mpchicago said:

All and all I think the building came out well.

It's interesting that there is no name associated with this building yet.   Are they waiting for a bigger check than those written by Rich DeVos and Peter Secchia?

Also wonder if we will hear, anytime soon,  if there are any plans in the pipeline for the remainder of the property.

In the picture it looks like they'll add a name or at least "MSU Biomedical" next to the logo.

39 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

On the back (highway) side, it has Sparty and Michigan State University. No other name on it yet. 

I really like the Spartan logo (note: I'm not a college football fan so have no love/hate relationship with either U of M or MSU- they are both fine institutions). I hope they add it to the Secchia building too. Much cooler than the inverted S that is up now (it looks off-brand to me; coming from a Marketing guy). :) can't wait for the building to fill with researchers and such. 

Joe

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I missed this the last time I was on the MIBiz website, but there a lot of interesting bits of information in this article:

https://mibiz.com/item/26165-msu-seeks-to-accelerate-medical-innovations

1.  MSU is creating MSU Health Care, which can partner with private companies much easier than it has in the past- a “1000 deeper dive into supporting medical innovation”.

2. The Research building in GR is a key component. 

3. They are already reviewing RFPs for building surrounding the research center. 

4. It’ll include a business startup incubator that will allow companies to Work alongside university researchers. 

The dean also uses the words “rocket fuel” and “innovation hub”.

I’m speculating that something big may be in the works  :)

Joe