MSU Biomedical Research Campus - Phase II

GRDadof3

That's because apparently Michigan has a statewide economic sanction against Iran. That is interesting seeing it appear in there though.

• 1 month later...

MSU develops construction strategies for Grand Rapids research facilities

http://www.grbj.com/articles/77148-msu-develops-construction-strategies-for-grand-rapids-research-facility

"In regard to the former Grand Rapids Press building, Rappley said the planning team would likely assess whether it would be more cost effective to renovate the space or tear it down and rebuild. Historical considerations would be taken into account, she said."

Uh oh, the former press building may be historic.

"In regard to the former Grand Rapids Press building, Rappley said the planning team would likely assess whether it would be more cost effective to renovate the space or tear it down and rebuild. Historical considerations would be taken into account, she said."

Make a small bronze model to go in the lobby of a new building so that people can look and see the monstrosity that once wasted space at that location.

With some of the truly historic buildings that the city allowed to be knocked down (Catholic Central for example), I will be one mad guy if someone starts waxing poetic about the beauty and history of the Press building. I'm just giving fair warning. ;)

Joe

• Like 1

With some of the truly historic buildings that the city allowed to be knocked down (Catholic Central for example), I will be one mad guy if someone starts waxing poetic about the beauty and history of the Press building. I'm just giving fair warning. ;)

Joe

I will say having been in the Press building, it is pretty fascinating inside. It really feels like you've walked onto the set of Mad Men.

With that being said though, I can't in a million years see how you'd convert into a state-of-the-art research facility. I think MSU is just treading lightly because the old Press building probably has a lot of nostalgia attached to it from the "older" generations of city leaders. And the HPC might actually have some historic jurisdiction over the building. Who knows. Just because something is unattractive, does not make it historically irrelevant.

I find the old Women's Hospital in Chicago to be a horrible looking piece of brutalism, but it's certainly interesting (and people are fighting to save it). Or maybe it was torn down already...

http://www.theawl.com/2012/08/brutalist-architecture

I will say having been in the Press building, it is pretty fascinating inside. It really feels like you've walked onto the set of Mad Men.

With that being said though, I can't in a million years see how you'd convert into a state-of-the-art research facility. I think MSU is just treading lightly because the old Press building probably has a lot of nostalgia attached to it from the "older" generations of city leaders. And the HPC might actually have some historic jurisdiction over the building. Who knows. Just because something is unattractive, does not make it historically irrelevant.

Are the giant printing presses still inside that place?  It's been quite a while since I last visited there but I remember that print room, the noise and the smell of ink, etc.  It was pretty amazing all that was buried deep inside that building.  You are correct, it is like a set from Mad Men.  It's a bit of an anachronism these days.

Are the giant printing presses still inside that place?  It's been quite a while since I last visited there but I remember that print room, the noise and the smell of ink, etc.  It was pretty amazing all that was buried deep inside that building.  You are correct, it is like a set from Mad Men.  It's a bit of an anachronism these days.

Never been down to that section. I saw the loading dock area when ArtPrize had their finale' there last year. Or was it the kickoff?

Long gone. They moved when they built the printing plant out in Walker by I-96.

The presses in the new plant are brand new state of the art things.  The ones in the downtown building were the old fashioned, smeary-ink-if-you-rub-your-finger-across-the-page kind.  Does that mean they were dismantled and scrapped?  They looked like something that belonged in the Henry Ford museum alongside old steam locomotives.

Kent county got one offer for their vacant lot on Monroe.  However the offer was for less then what the county had originally paid for the land in 2004 and the county has decided not to sell.  The offer by Peter Secchia would have included the parking lot on the other side of Monroe.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/06/kent_county_rejects_25_million.html#/0

Kent county got one offer for their vacant lot on Monroe.  However the offer was for less then what the county had originally paid for the land in 2004 and the county has decided not to sell.  The offer by Peter Secchia would have included the parking lot on the other side of Monroe.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/06/kent_county_rejects_25_million.html#/0

So the county wants what they paid in 2004, even though most homeowners aren't getting what they paid in 2004? The county does realize that 2004 was about the market peak and everyone overpaid for land, correct?

Most of the downtown office buildings have sold recently for about half price. Why wouldn't the land be affected the same way?

• Like 1

What I find interesting is that Peter Secchia is probably "in the know" with what is planned for MSU's Research Center. I agree that they shouldn't really expect 2004 prices, but I also wonder if a somewhat 'lowball' offer with an option, not outright sale, shows the pace at which the MSU project will progress.

Or am I just reading tarot cards; putting some deep thought into nothing. :)

Joe 

• 2 months later...

MSU is looking to have their new Medical research building done by 2017.

My  guess is that as VAI grows its research programs the VAI will start to eye the space they are currently leasing to MSU.  Which means MSU is going to need a new building sooner rather then later.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/09/msu_begins_planning_for_world-.html

MSU is looking to have their new Medical research building done by 2017.

My  guess is that as VAI grows its research programs the VAI will start to eye the space they are currently leasing to MSU.  Which means MSU is going to need a new building sooner rather then later.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/09/msu_begins_planning_for_world-.html

It's more of a "campus" plan that they are working on, the first phase/building would be done around 2017.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/77739-msu-plans-model-biosciences-corridor-in-grand-rapids

Wood has updated their news page on this story and added video as well.  Things get confusing in the video about the post office being vacant, which it isn't.  But someone did let something slip out about the post office that they should not have.  That it was for sale and they later retracted that statement.  As we know the post office insists that it isn't for sale.  What else fits the puzzle of surrounding properties that became available to MSU after they purchased The Press site.  We know the county land is one of those properties.  I think the post office is the other, the price just wasn't right for MSU.

Isn't it strange that MSU is very interested in what the future of the post office / Rowe block looks like.  While at the same time saying that they know of nothing happening there.

I'm glad MSU is pushing the issue of what's next for the Post Office site. I could imagine a possible bidding war for that site if/when it is put on the market.

Anyone have a guess to where the USPS might be relocated if that's even a possibility? I assuming the USPS is still under a new construction, movement or closing moratorium too.  If it does hit the market, the plan to relocate has to come first.

Edited by trongrr