Sign in to follow this  
GRDadof3

MSU Biomedical Research Campus

I bet that thing will be a beast to bring down. I worked there for a brief time and had heard it was basically built to withstand anything. The old printing presses vibrated so much that it was built to be quite strong. Glad to see it come down. :)

Joe

I drove by and thought "all this big construction equipment is like a little boys dream".

Does anybody know why they took off just one panel on the parking lot side? My guess is to make it easier to get internal debris out.

I drove by and thought "all this big construction equipment is like a little boys dream".

Does anybody know why they took off just one panel on the parking lot side? My guess is to make it easier to get internal debris out.

Yeah, there are big dumpsters outside those holes in the wall.

According to the photo captions in the linked article, the top was indeed copper.

I have to imagine the top was copper and definitely worth salvaging.

Joe

I think it's going to be used as an artistic element in the new building. And it's doubly cool cause it's already green. :)

• Like 1

I wish they had set up a live webcam to watch the demolition. It looks really fascinating as they move through each section but it's colder than snot outside.

Wow! They are using a wrecking ball.  You don't see that used anymore.

The demolition is pretty intense. Can't wait to see the land cleared and the new building take shape.

GO GREEN!

So... no iconic images of someone chaining themselves to the demolition equipment in an effort to prevent the destruction of this  building?  

Someone tagged the thing! 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/03/graffiti_artist_tags_former_gr.html

I like the comment from the guy at the city: "seems like a waste of paint." *Same guy voted for the toothpick Jesus to win ArtPrize*

Yesterday I caught a glimpse of that waste of paint.

Seems mighty worth it to me.

2rsusnB.jpg

I bet Bob Becker painted that 30 years ago.