The Battle of the Higher Ed Institutions

GRDadof3

On 11/12/2015 at 5:04 PM, joeDowntown said:

The Davenport University campus is actually pretty impressive. They've grown a lot in a small amount of time out in Caledonia.

Joe

I flew over the construction site Friday.  The scope of the project was much bigger than I envisioned.

On 4/24/2016 at 10:02 AM, arcturus said:

I flew over the construction site Friday.  The scope of the project was much bigger than I envisioned.

Are you aware of what is getting built on the corner of Kraft & 60th? Related to Davenport or a totally separate commercial endeavor?

10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Is it the massive warehouse structure? If so, it's for Lacks Industries. It is gigantic!

joe

Yes, that's a PlasticPlate expansion (division of Lacks). Can't find much online about it though. 

11 minutes ago, jdkacz said:

The Lacks site is huge!. But what I was referencing is out on the other side of the street closer to M-6. It appears its only been site preparation so far.

Which site is it? Can you point to it? :P

M-6.JPG

35 minutes ago, CHGRMI said:

I wondered the same thing, since I drive through there for work every day.

M-6_JPG_022739df115731d240ac79446e45ef44.jpg

Caledonia Township, 5464 60th Street. Highpoint Real Estate Group rezoned it from agricultural zoning to high-density residential, just recently in March/April. The inks probably not even dry on the permits. I'd assume it's the hotel project that was proposed there long ago finally being built. 

First development to coincide with Switch? 

4 minutes ago, jdkacz said:

It sure does not look that large from the road, but from what I could tell they are moving fast on it. Housing for Davenport would make a lot of sense.

Would be great to see what it looks like. There was a public hearing on it back in February, and then it went back to the PC in March and April, and there's no narrative, no site plan, elevations, nothing on the township's agenda. Just rezoning. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2016 at 8:17 AM, jdkacz said:

It sure does not look that large from the road, but from what I could tell they are moving fast on it. Housing for Davenport would make a lot of sense.

Drove by it and got a shot. It looks like either a dormitory or a Hampton Inn. This is the end of it, didn't get around to take a shot of the side.

Building by Davenport.jpg

13 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Drove by it and got a shot. It looks like either a dormitory or a Hampton Inn. This is the end of it, didn't get around to take a shot of the side.

Building by Davenport.jpg

Looks like the Tyvek gang got there first with their graffiti. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
15 hours ago, tSlater said:

I never liked the design, but walking past this a lot I now really enjoy it.  It's amazing what good choice in materials will do for a building.  A rare example of the building looking better than the rendering.

I know, Hard to describe it but I like it a lot too. Part of me feels like flat roof would've been better but the pitched roof does a nice job of making it feel more like the HH neighborhood to the East. And it's not PRETENDING to be a historic building. 

• 2 years later...

Raleigh Finkelstien the millionaire behind MC Sporting Goods, is back donating money this time to GRCC.   He's giving the school 2 million to upgrade the main building, and as a result, they are adding his name to the place.   I'm glad to see Finkelstien giving back to the community in big ways in recent years.  I didn't even know who he was before he donated to the new GVSU building on Layfeyette. 

BT5SWONPANHPXIS7KZDUBV2BYI.jpg

• Like 3

Historical Note: the building was originally the George A Davis Vocational and Technical High School named after the one time owner of the Stow-Davis Furniture Company (now part of Steelcase.)  I don't know if he donated the money for it or what.  It just goes to show you, over time it is hard to keep your name on a building.       

• Like 1