The Battle of the Higher Ed Institutions

GRDadof3

Couldn't recall where to post GVSU Allendale news:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/04/grand-valley-board-approves-91m-renovation-of-academic-building.html

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – The Grand Valley State University Board of Trustees voted unanimously Friday, April 26, for a $9.1 million renovation of Lake Huron Hall on the Allendale Campus.

The renovations, which will be funded by the Campus Development Fund, are scheduled to be completed in August 2020.

Lake Huron Hall must look pretty dated, I can't even find pictures of it online. :)

On 4/29/2019 at 5:38 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Lake Huron Hall must look pretty dated, I can't even find pictures of it online. :)

1381490434_LAKEHURONHALL.png.bc25fa1ad6b2a99fb8d46591c29a6e8e.png

One of the first buildings after the original farm house at Grand Valley.  

Interesting links about the original architecture of the school (after you get past several paragraphs about John Ball's settlement down by the river to the east of the campus):

GVSU: physical history

GVSU: breaking ground

Funny how award winning architecture in one era can be considered an eyesore or failure in the next (I'm thinking mostly of Loutit Hall which was the original science building, and also the original field house that collapsed.)

Edited by walker
for typos as usual and to add a second better link
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

This article is odd.  The overall trend of a number of the state schools is relatively flat with a handful who have not adjusted to the demographic reality of birthrates/grad rates/choice patterns.  Seems like a handful of schools there should be lauded for their ability to sustain a stable school with fairly flat enrollment in that environment.  

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 11:01 AM, arcturus said:

Interesting article about the decline in enrollment of nearly all state universities, some drastic.  GVSU is hanging tough, now the 4th largest.

https://www.bridgemi.com/talent-education/fewer-students-tepid-state-funding-roil-michigan-public-universities

And even GVSU has gone down slightly the last two years after nothing but growth since its inception. They have had record freshman classes coming in but I believe retention has been the issue. 

43 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

And even GVSU has gone down slightly the last two years after nothing but growth since its inception. They have had record freshman classes coming in but I believe retention has been the issue. 

I don't think its retention. GVSU has the third highest retention rate (85% this year) in Michigan for first to second year students (behind only UM and MSU). 

• 2 years later...