Memphis Construction Photos

Memphis4ever

On 9/14/2021 at 10:51 PM, DowntownUrbanite said:

Photos of the Cobblestone Landing construction taken on September 11, 2021 along with the 9-11 Memorial in front of the renovated convention center, the now topped out 2nd hotel at One Beale, and the rear of the old Butcher Shop Building under rehab.

BDFD332A-6DD3-400D-B95D-2345A4FE5F79.jpeg

7B8679D4-CB86-486C-87FD-3C1B4BAEF1EA.jpeg

E79636C9-9DD5-457C-B11F-994843330433.jpeg

F6123D65-4DA1-4642-BA62-FF8951195139.jpeg

D2B7FF8F-E3B7-42C2-BB93-77C544979B2F.jpeg

B5D8D578-F53D-4F83-A2B2-06C2EE998C5F.jpeg

8D172FFA-B5B7-416E-9F75-E56FEFB39FC8.jpeg

Look like the downtown development is progressing along quite nicely.  It's odd that there's been no interest in developing the land  where the 911 memorial was placed, because there's several acres there.  Unless the city is keeping it for their own use.  The cobblestone is going to really change the river front. 

Edited by JTM1

1 hour ago, JTM1 said:

Look like the downtown development is progressing along quite nicely.  It's odd that there's been no interest in developing the land  where the 911 memorial was placed, because there's several acres there.  Unless the city is keeping it for their own use.  The cobblestone is going to really change the river front. 

The city of Memphis bought the property in 2012 from Lonestar for $10 million.  They wanted to get rid of any industrial use along the riverfront and use the property for a "park like setting" or green space.  To me, I think it looks awful.  Just a barren open space that has no purpose and gets no use.  When they demolitioned the cement terminal, they should have kept the 4 silos with the iconic Memphis signs.  They should have also kept all the trees around the terminal, and they should have never cut down all the trees along the riverfront.  Then they could have built a park around that.  Having mature trees and a tower would have made it a cool, unique space and a desirable place to visit.  But no, Memphis tends to make lots of poor decisions.  At least they kept the signs and put them in storage.  

38 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

The city of Memphis bought the property in 2012 from Lonestar for $10 million.  They wanted to get rid of any industrial use along the riverfront and use the property for a "park like setting" or green space.  To me, I think it looks awful.  Just a barren open space that has no purpose and gets no use.  When they demolitioned the cement terminal, they should have kept the 4 silos with the iconic Memphis signs.  They should have also kept all the trees around the terminal, and they should have never cut down all the trees along the riverfront.  Then they could have built a park around that.  Having mature trees and a tower would have made it a cool, unique space and a desirable place to visit.  But no, Memphis tends to make lots of poor decisions.  At least they kept the signs and put them in storage.  

The area where the flags are was a surface parking lot for The Pyramid,  if I remember correctly.  And the area the silos were was just that (an industrial area that did have a cool sign on top, yes).   I think it's better as a park/field at the moment but if I recall correctly there was some kind of proposal or idea for a hotel at that area that was a parking lot previously (it's been many years).   

EDIT:  Actually I may be off if the flags are closer to where the silos were (sorry, I haven't actually been down there recently and have only seen the 9/11 memorial in this photo)

Edited by DRG901

16 hours ago, DRG901 said:

The area where the flags are was a surface parking lot for The Pyramid,  if I remember correctly.  And the area the silos were was just that (an industrial area that did have a cool sign on top, yes).   I think it's better as a park/field at the moment but if I recall correctly there was some kind of proposal or idea for a hotel at that area that was a parking lot previously (it's been many years).   

EDIT:  Actually I may be off if the flags are closer to where the silos were (sorry, I haven't actually been down there recently and have only seen the 9/11 memorial in this photo)

Yes, part was parking, but it was the part closer to the Welcome Center.  I'm fine with a park there, I just think it would have made a much better park if they kept the silos and the trees/landscaping.  Also would have been able to keep the iconic Memphis signage coming over the bridge.  The hotel proposal was the surface parking lot that is below front street, just north of the Mud Island parking garage.  However, the mayor said that wouldn't work because that land is part of the civic commons, which is in the Memphis Charter and must stay owned by the city and be used for public purposes.  

25 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Yes, part was parking, but it was the part closer to the Welcome Center.  I'm fine with a park there, I just think it would have made a much better park if they kept the silos and the trees/landscaping.  Also would have been able to keep the iconic Memphis signage coming over the bridge.  The hotel proposal was the surface parking lot that is below front street, just north of the Mud Island parking garage.  However, the mayor said that wouldn't work because that land is part of the civic commons, which is in the Memphis Charter and must stay owned by the city and be used for public purposes.  

Gotcha, thanks, sounds familiar now, couldn't remember what happened with the hotel proposal.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 5:06 PM, MDC26 said:

Appreciate this. I remember those tall towers and they would've made some unique art pieces. along the riverfront.  It's a prime location and located on Bass Pro Drive makes it ideal for something unique. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I’d be interested in seeing some Memphis city (not Mississippi or Arkansas) construction photos too.  Idon’t think there is a lot of major construction underway overall, just smaller projects. Perhaps the new hotel at One Beale St.?   I saw that the renovated concourse at the airport is due to open in coming days

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 11:18 AM, East Side Urbanite said:

Can somebody please post some recent photos of projects in Memphis?

I don't have pictures, but what I can tell you is the Caption by Hyatt (former William C Ellis building) is nearing completion along with the Aloft on BB King & Jefferson (conversion of old Tenoke Building). Both are expected to open later this spring.

Also, more steel framing is going up at Liberty Park for the new Sports & Event Center currently under construction.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2022 at 4:24 PM, James Owen said:

I don't have pictures, but what I can tell you is the Caption by Hyatt (former William C Ellis building) is nearing completion along with the Aloft on BB King & Jefferson (conversion of old Tenoke Building). Both are expected to open later this spring.

Also, more steel framing is going up at Liberty Park for the new Sports & Event Center currently under construction.

They are being posted under those topics, i have not posted any of the caption, fairgrounds or aloft in the last 2 weeks though.  I have some pics coming

Thanks for posting those!  Excited to see what the fountain will look like.  

I know it's not pictured, but I'm amazed at how long the Aloft hotel is taking.  I think they started working on it back in 2019, maybe even 2018.  Before there were even designs for the Hyatt Centric.  

• 2 weeks later...