Memphis Construction Photos

Memphis4ever

58 minutes ago, Memphis4ever said:

Downtown mobility center photos. 20220227_120736.thumb.jpg.c22ca5fe33e59b7896dbec287326a31e.jpg

20220227_120744.thumb.jpg.13a5b7bbd9c4458a44aec3e27c4a3eb2.jpg

20220228_161730.thumb.jpg.cb0c17d3fb2e3635d8dc4bc5b416ec87.jpg

Vance Avenue apartments, also they are demolishing the large warehouse next door. 

20220227_121013.thumb.jpg.ba8f41a168391f22b92df18c01159d96.jpg

20220227_120948.thumb.jpg.efa9fefb610dbc6e50d1196fb9576af2.jpg

20220227_120951.thumb.jpg.c86ddb96fe0c8aea4382c8880412df08.jpg

20220227_120955.thumb.jpg.1bf38ccdb6539135eab749fce1523021.jpg

I saw the other day that Carlisle was demolishing the warehouse also-- any idea what will go there?  More apartments possibly?

Also didn't you mention they have started work on the Grand Hyatt site?

Edited by DRG901

1 hour ago, Memphis4ever said:

Downtown mobility center photos. 20220227_120736.thumb.jpg.c22ca5fe33e59b7896dbec287326a31e.jpg

20220227_120744.thumb.jpg.13a5b7bbd9c4458a44aec3e27c4a3eb2.jpg

20220228_161730.thumb.jpg.cb0c17d3fb2e3635d8dc4bc5b416ec87.jpg

Vance Avenue apartments, also they are demolishing the large warehouse next door. 

20220227_121013.thumb.jpg.ba8f41a168391f22b92df18c01159d96.jpg

20220227_120948.thumb.jpg.efa9fefb610dbc6e50d1196fb9576af2.jpg

20220227_120951.thumb.jpg.c86ddb96fe0c8aea4382c8880412df08.jpg

20220227_120955.thumb.jpg.1bf38ccdb6539135eab749fce1523021.jpg

The building that is being demoed in the last few pics is a 3-story structure on the corner of South Front Street and Vance the Carlisles had purchased two years ago along with the old Nylon Net Building: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1378627,-90.0583905,3a,75y,250.42h,102.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEWwncjOjuJPam-BYH7MpUQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

47 minutes ago, DRG901 said:

I saw the other day that Carlisle was demolishing the warehouse also-- any idea what will go there?  More apartments possibly?

Apparently, there were some initial plans in place to redevelop it into apartments/condos as evidenced by this website I found via a Google search (https://339front.com/), but for reasons unknown - most likely structural-related - they decided to tear that down as well.

Edited by James Owen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been following this forum closely enough to know what the Mobility Center is, but I'm guessing transit.  Is there more literature avaiable with links here?  

And the two low-rise buildings in the second pic are quite handsome. Are they new?  What is the one on the right side (dead center of the photo)?

Finally, what are they having to demolish?  Looks old (historic?)... address? 

28 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I haven't been following this forum closely enough to know what the Mobility Center is, but I'm guessing transit.  Is there more literature avaiable with links here?  

And the two low-rise buildings in the second pic are quite handsome. Are they new?  What is the one on the right side (dead center of the photo)?

More info: https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2021/10/06/downtown-memphis-mobility-center-design-plans/5950015001/

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

The one in the middle is Waterford Plaza. It’s a condo mid rise building that overlooks the river. Been there awhile (built in ‘83). The white building to the left with the misaligned windows is the Hyatt Centric hotel that opened last year. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DRG901 said:

Also didn't you mention they have started work on the Grand Hyatt site?

No i have not mentioned any work at the Grand Hyatt site that work is expected sometime between now and June.

21 hours ago, James Owen said:

The building that is being demoed in the last few pics is a 3-story structure on the corner of South Front Street and Vance the Carlisles had purchased two years ago along with the old Nylon Net Building: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1378627,-90.0583905,3a,75y,250.42h,102.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEWwncjOjuJPam-BYH7MpUQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Apparently, there were some initial plans in place to redevelop it into apartments/condos as evidenced by this website I found via a Google search (https://339front.com/), but for reasons unknown - most likely structural-related - they decided to tear that down as well.

Hmm never really saw that project before, I am assuming that building was structurally deficient or like with the nylon net they would like to just build new construction to maximize the amount of units they can fit in the buildings.

21 hours ago, James Owen said:

I hate that they're tearing down the other warehouse.  I hated to lose Nylon Net building and now that one.  I knew that they owned the 339 Front building and had plans, but I had never seen the plans you posted.  It really sucks to lose those buildings.  I wonder how significant the issues were.  Like was it unsafe or made the project completely undoable, or if it was just easier and more cost effective to do.  

2 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

Ugh, I hate to see that. I hope they made every attempt to save it. I'm a little turned around - do we know what's proposed to replace it (if anything)?

I haven't seen anything at all.  I'm sure that it will just be incorporated into the Vance/Nylon Net project.  Now that it will be a new build, they will probably go taller to get more units, which is a positive.  The Vance building is 6 stories, so I would guess that would be what the Front St property would be too.  The new Intrator project across the street next to Gus' will be 6 stories too.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Ugh, I hate to see that. I hope they made every attempt to save it. I'm a little turned around - do we know what's proposed to replace it (if anything)?

Idk I think memphis definitely has preserved enough of the grit and grind lol.  Some of those warehouse buildings i am ok with loosing it will help the city feel a little more refreshing.  We do need a bit of a glass era here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

Idk I think memphis definitely has preserved enough of the grit and grind lol.  Some of those warehouse buildings i am ok with loosing it will help the city feel a little more refreshing.  We do need a bit of a glass era here.

I personally like to preserve as much as possible, because once its gone, its gone.  You can't produce that era of buildings anymore.  I'm ok with keeping the façade like they are with the Wm Ellis machining building.  Like how Carlisle originally planned to do the Nylon Net building.  It keeps things unique with character.  The other empty lots and cinder block buildings can get the glass.  

That is really turning into a cool area.  I honestly had no idea the Broad Ave area existed with all of the storefronts until after it was revitalized, even though I've frequently visited Memphis my entire life and also lived there 4 years.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

That is really turning into a cool area.  I honestly had no idea the Broad Ave area existed with all of the storefronts until after it was revitalized, even though I've frequently visited Memphis my entire life and also lived there 4 years.  

I believe this area will be "discovered" by alot of Memphians soon. It's known because of the original Broadway pizza location and the other popular shops there, but it's not mainstream like Overton Square persay. It's usually crowded at weekend nights. These apartments will bring more attention.

Edited by TheKernel91

42 minutes ago, TheKernel91 said:

I believe this area will be "discovered" by alot of Memphians soon. It's known because of the original Broadway pizza location and the other popular shops there, but it's not mainstream like Overton Square persay. It's usually crowded at weekend nights. These apartments will bring more attention.

In a way it sort of reminds of what South Main was back in the early 90's or so with art galleries and things like that-  then you get more apartments and people and things really seem to take off.   There's also the apartments to the West being built at the corner of Sam Cooper and E Parkway that will open before these-  and it was recently announced there are townhouses  to be built in between (link below)  so there's going to be a lot of people living in the area soon.   I'm sure we'll see more residential announced in the coming  years.  Should really become one of the next hot areas.

Broad Avenue Townhouses proposed for land bounded by Sam Cooper Boulevard to the south, Broad Avenue to the north, and Hollywood Street to the east. - Memphis Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Edited by DRG901
  • Like 1

Broad has become one of my favorite neighborhoods to visit when I'm home. There are really cool shops, restaurants and other points of interest — and it's all very pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly. I'd certainly considering living in those apartments.

4 hours ago, DRG901 said:

In a way it sort of reminds of what South Main was back in the early 90's or so with art galleries and things like that-  then you get more apartments and people and things really seem to take off.   There's also the apartments to the West being built at the corner of Sam Cooper and E Parkway that will open before these-  and it was recently announced there are townhouses  to be built in between (link below)  so there's going to be a lot of people living in the area soon.   I'm sure we'll see more residential announced in the coming  years.  Should really become one of the next hot areas.

Broad Avenue Townhouses proposed for land bounded by Sam Cooper Boulevard to the south, Broad Avenue to the north, and Hollywood Street to the east. - Memphis Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Definitely about the residential. I forgot about the townhouses in planning. Yea this part of North Midtown/Binghamton are on the upswing. It will be interesting to see more things come along with the residential growth.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder do suburbs and small towns in other metros have tight restrictions on apartments developing in their area. Germantown has taken a strong stance in the last few years about multi-family unless it's mixed use. Still, they have concerns when it comes to this project, it keeps getting turned down after modifications.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/local/suburbs/germantown/2022/03/27/viridian-development-germantown-multifamily-housing/7159374001/

*Edit... I meant to post this in the Greater Memphis areas thread. Sorry

Edited by TheKernel91
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

I wonder do suburbs and small towns in other metros have tight restrictions on apartments developing in their area. Germantown has taken a strong stance in the last few years about multi-family unless it's mixed use. Still, they have concerns when it comes to this project, it keeps getting turned down after modifications.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/local/suburbs/germantown/2022/03/27/viridian-development-germantown-multifamily-housing/7159374001/

*Edit... I meant to post this in the Greater Memphis areas thread. Sorry

Some do, some don't.  I know for a short period Jonesboro had an apartment moratorium.  I can understand not wanting any rentals or apartments in a single family neighborhood, but a completely separate and undeveloped area that's at the very edge of the city limits, I don't see any reasons not to approve it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

Some do, some don't.  I know for a short period Jonesboro had an apartment moratorium.  I can understand not wanting any rentals or apartments in a single family neighborhood, but a completely separate and undeveloped area that's at the very edge of the city limits, I don't see any reasons not to approve it.  

Right. I understand they are trying to be smart with the limited amount of land they have left. At this point mixed-use is the best use unless they just want residential for the remaining.

3 minutes ago, TheKernel91 said:

Right. I understand they are trying to be smart with the limited amount of land they have left. At this point mixed-use is the best use unless they just want residential for the remaining.

I think its more of a mindset that apartments/multifamily=bad