Memphis Construction Photos

Memphis4ever

On 10/4/2022 at 10:06 AM, dxfret said:

Downtown Memphis seems very empty, not a lot of traffic and little street activity. Almost like a small town. 

COVID hit many cities very hard, in general. Foot traffic is down almost in every city downtown in the country. 

Memphis does super well compared to a lot of cities in its tier group, though. Beale Street and the National Civil Rights Museum generates a ton of pedestrian traffic. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Glad to see. Hopefully the credit crunch will not hurt too bad. I think cheaper real estate prices can help bring more developers your way. I know a few that have pulled up stake and left Nashville for Chattanooga or are doing projects in both.

Nashville is just too expensive for the locals to do business here now and Memphis is ripe for them to do some really nice projects.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 5:05 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Glad to see. Hopefully the credit crunch will not hurt too bad. I think cheaper real estate prices can help bring more developers your way. I know a few that have pulled up stake and left Nashville for Chattanooga or are doing projects in both.

Nashville is just too expensive for the locals to do business here now and Memphis is ripe for them to do some really nice projects.

I hope what you say is true, but one could’ve made the same statement about Birmingham and Atlanta. Meaning to say, since ATL’s prices are so high, BHM would attract developers because of the cost difference. It hasn’t happened. Is the  CHA example an anomaly? Again, I hope you’re right, and thanks for the vote of confidence. 

Edited by The Guardian of Memphis

• 2 months later...

Was in Memphis yesterday, and it was nice seeing the construction going on while driving around.  Sorry, didn't get any pictures.  The mobility center was coming along nicely.  I noticed that the Memphis Cycle & Supply building in the Edge has come a long way and had all new windows.  Demolition is happening on the buildings in the Edge that are being razed for the University Lofts.  Domino's Village at St. Jude has been fully bricked, and construction ground work has already started for the new towers.  The Dental School addition is nearing completion.  The Aloft hotel is close to being completed, but couldn't tell anything new from the previous two times I saw it.  The façade work for Café Lit on Madison looks completed.  Looked like they are working on the new restaurant space at the Westin parking garage.   And the new infill building on Main in the pinch looks close to being completed.  I have no idea what's going there, but it is two levels, and the 2nd level is recessed, probably for a patio.  Didn't drive to check Tom Lee Park, Nylon Net project, the space above McEwan's, or Orleans Station.  

Edited by MDC26
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Was in Memphis yesterday, and it was nice seeing the construction going on while driving around.  Sorry, didn't get any pictures.  The mobility center was coming along nicely.  I noticed that the Memphis Cycle & Supply building in the pinch has come a long way and had all new windows.  Demolition is happening on the buildings in the Pinch that are being razed for the University Lofts.  Domino's Village at St. Jude has been fully bricked, and construction ground work has already started for the new towers.  The Dental School addition is nearing completion.  The Aloft hotel is close to being completed, but couldn't tell anything new from the previous two times I saw it.  The façade work for Café Lit on Madison looks completed.  Looked like they are working on the new restaurant space at the Westin parking garage.   And the new infill building on Main in the pinch looks close to being completed.  I have no idea what's going there, but it is two levels, and the 2nd level is recessed, probably for a patio.  Didn't drive to check Tom Lee Park, Nylon Net project, the space above McEwan's, or Orleans Station.  

That's the Edge District where those two things are happening. The Pinch District is the area north of I-40 between The Pyramid and St Jude's campus.

3 hours ago, James Owen said:

That's the Edge District where those two things are happening. The Pinch District is the area north of I-40 between The Pyramid and St Jude's campus.

That’s what I meant. Brain fart. Thanks for pointing it out. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

It’s amazing to see all this going on: the Oliver, Vance 7, mobility center, st. Jude expansion, brooks museum, sterick and 100 n. Main on the way. Good times!!

Yes. Orleans Station, and lots of other things here and there. 100N Main and Sterrick haven’t started yet, so crossing fingers on those. And we were so close with the Grand Hyatt. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 9:38 PM, TheKernel91 said:

Saw this on Social Media  

Screenshot_20230805_112657_Instagram.jpg.35c206b6c6c06ea98c29f3150eb8c0db.jpg

That's a great shot! 

Memphis really has a good downtown bone density of buildings. I'd love to see another 3-5 in the 300-500 foot range, and another 3-5 in the 200-300 foot range. Then the skyline would be almost perfect.

• Like 3

Memphis has always been a low rise city in keeping with its delta and river geography. The downtown skyline profile has mirrored this and has not drastically changed in decades. Since 1970 only the Pyramid and Raymond James bldg have added significant height and bulk to the profile. Commerce Square, First Tenn, 100 N Main, Sterick, Lincoln Tower and a few others all predate that year. Far too many empty lots.  Hopefully the renovation plans for the empty 100 N Main, Sterick and Raymond James bldgs will materialize. 

Edited by Nothingspectacular
  • Thanks 1