Packard Plant redevelopment

TMcKay9

This redevelopment still has many hurdles but it would be awesome if it comes to fruition.  There are many successful examples around the country of these plants being redeveloped into awesome mixed use neighborhoods.  People are drawn to places like this!

http://news.yahoo.com/video/interview-detroits-potential-packard-plant-184039621.html

• 3 years later...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/12/2013 at 3:52 PM, TMcKay9 said:

This redevelopment still has many hurdles but it would be awesome if it comes to fruition.  There are many successful examples around the country of these plants being redeveloped into awesome mixed use neighborhoods.  People are drawn to places like this!

http://news.yahoo.com/video/interview-detroits-potential-packard-plant-184039621.html

Since TMcKay9 posted this a lot has happened as far as ownership goes but not much has happened on the ground, and not surprisingly his old Yahoo link is broke.

But so far the best use of this property in my opinion was made by one of my favorite singers:

Extraordinary Lindsay Lou

This post was just an excuse to show off the video, but if you really want to know what's currently going on with redevelopment of the Packard Plant:

Packard redevelopment could begin in spring    

• 11 months later...

Development is coming slowly but here’s some news:

“A ‘Packard Plant Brewery coming soon’ sign was posted to a building in the 1600 E. Grand Blvd. block of the site.”

“Construction is expected to begin in spring 2018 with an expected completion date in 2019.”

brewery article

Still like the  Lindsay Lou video the best and this gives me an excuse to post it again:

On 1/8/2017 at 10:47 PM, walker said:

But so far the best use of this property in my opinion was made by one of my favorite singers:

Extraordinary Lindsay Lou

Lindsay Lou and her band the Flatbellys often perform in breweries

• 8 months later...

In order to keep this forum crawling along, I'm posting this update that appeared in the Detroit News the other day:

"Developers of the Packard Plant project celebrated the progress of cleaning up the four-story administration building Saturday at a private party with family and friends. 

The first phase of the project broke ground in May 2017, which included revitalizing the administration building and a nearby building. The project is estimated to cost $23 million and developer Fernando Palazuelo is financing the entire project himself. 

Palazuelo touted the progress they have made in the last year having ripped up the floor, cleared asbestos and saved historical contents from the former auto plant administration building at 1580 East Grand Blvd." 

developers-celebrate-progress-packard-plant-cleanup

Looking at the accompanying video, everyone looks happy at the party but it looks like they've still got a long way to go.

Here's a link to the project's website:

Packard Plant Project Website

Archived