Bridgestone HQ 30 stories - 460' | Retail.U/C

MLBrumby

Nevermind the Suntust building getting mis-labeled...

It's going to be significantly shorter than the still-renders. Looks more like 375'.

I would believe this video least of all the renderings we have seen. None of them are perfectly accurate, but a static image is significantly more likely to be correctly proportional than a video, IMO.

^I guess I'm going to have to be the nay-sayer on this. I don't like it at all. It frankly looks like a taller suburban office-park building. Boxy and not very inspiring (and the "fins" don't help). I thought we were getting Sheet Music. Add to that, it's too short. It should be soaring. Very disappointed. :ermm:

The architectural renderings will tell all that.

The height # itself really doesn't matter if it's not going to be a new tallest (IMO), but the building will make quite an impact on the skyline.

Yeah. I'm not too particularly worried about the height; I'm extremely happy with the added density and street activity. This and SoBro are really going to bring a big city feel to the area...just from the renderings minus SoBro it's odd seeing the added density. 

This announcement could have taken place at Franklin Park or Ovation, but Bridgestone chose downtown. I'm hoping this entices other companies to follow their move downtown. This is only great news, in my opinion.

I think the scale looks great from the video. A new tallest at this location would look awkward.

Edited by gannman
  • Like 4

^I guess I'm going to have to be the nay-sayer on this. I don't like it at all. It frankly looks like a taller suburban office-park building. Boxy and not very inspiring (and the "fins" don't help). I thought we were getting Sheet Music. Add to that, it's too short. It should be soaring. Very disappointed. :ermm:

The fins resolve the design, IMO. Without the fins you'd only rely on the mullions to separate each plane. Everything from what I can tell in the renderings is fairly proportionate; the only thing that I think it a bit odd is placement of the void height wise and the treatment of the columns at that point. Raise the void and you have some wiggle room with column placement. 

• Like 1

The fins resolve the design, IMO. Without the fins you'd only rely on the mullions to separate each plane. Everything from what I can tell in the renderings is fairly proportionate; the only thing that I think it a bit odd is placement of the void height wise and the treatment of the columns at that point. Raise the void and you have some wiggle room with column placement. 

If there was a "void" on each side...about ¾ of the way up, I think it would help the design a lot...to take away from the perception that this is just a box.

This announcement could have taken place at Franklin Park or Ovation, but Bridgestone chose downtown. I'm hoping this entices other companies to follow their move downtown. This is only great news, in my opinion.

I think the scale looks great from the video. A new tallest at this location would look awkward.

With all due respect, they did not choose downtown Nashville. The state paid them $50,000,000.00 to locate here. FieldmarshalDJ should be furious! Tax payers of the state of Tennessee paid for this. According to WW, they could have chosen any state that had a direct flight to Japan.

Amazing, free market Capitalist's taking local and state money to finance a tower! AS if a multi-billion dollar company could not finance their own tower. In any case, nice tower, but 30 stories and 460 feet. Been there. Done that a multitude of times.

• Like 1

With all due respect, they did not choose downtown Nashville. The state paid them $50,000,000.00 to locate here. FieldmarshalDJ should be furious! Tax payers of the state of Tennessee paid for this. According to WW, they could have chosen any state that had a direct flight to Japan.

Amazing, free market Capitalist's taking local and state money to finance a tower! AS if a multi-billion dollar company could not finance their own tower. In any case, nice tower, but 30 stories and 460 feet. Been there. Done that a multitude of times.

With all due respect, I can almost guarantee that we weren't the only ones offering that kind of incentive package. I'm sure cities and states were probably throwing everything they could at Bridgestone to relocate there. So...yes, they did choose Nashville... ;)

"The economic impact on the city far exceeds whatever we're putting into it," Nashville Mayor Karl Dean said.

"I don't know how many things you can compare this to, in terms of its importance for the state and downtown Nashville," Haslam said.

^I agree...

Edited by mirydi
  • Like 1

What's going to be a little "sweet justice" for going so safe with the 30 floors, w.r.t. the video above... is when the Sobro is built, I think the Bridgestone sign will not be visible from many spots east of downtown... especially the stadium.

ML  you are correct. Another 30 story building at 460 feet. The First Tennessee Bank Tower is 404, L&C is 409, Pinnacle is 417, The Snodgrass is 452, The 5th 3rd is 492, The ATT is 617. Until we have something to really break the height barrier, this is just another 30 story 400+ foot tower in Nashville. Nothing much to be excited about.

This will be good infill like the Sobro, but until we get 700+, true sculpture in architecture will not be realized in Nashville.

With all due respect, I can almost guarantee that we weren't the only ones offering that kind of incentive package. I'm sure cities and states were probably throwing everything they could at Bridgestone to relocate there. So...yes, they did choose Nashville... ;)

^I agree...

I agree, does not make me happy with it. The State reduces tuition incentives for people to go to college here, but they will finance a private enterprise to build a tower who could easily finance themselves.

ML  you are correct. Another 30 story building at 460 feet. The First Tennessee Bank Tower is 404, L&C is 409, Pinnacle is 417, The Snodgrass is 452, The 5th 3rd is 492, The ATT is 617. Until we have something to really break the height barrier, this is just another 30 story 400+ foot tower in Nashville. Nothing much to be excited about.

This will be good infill like the Sobro, but until we get 700+, true sculpture in architecture will not be realized in Nashville.

I agree, does not make me happy with it. The State reduces tuition incentives for people to go to college here, but they will finance a private enterprise to build a tower who could easily finance themselves.

Hey now John, I thought it was 300' or bust? Maybe it's time to change that to 700' or bust... :yahoo:

I think it is incentive money well-spent - and OH MY GOSH John.... what in the world do you mean by "The State reduces tuition incentives for people to go to college here"...... the Gov. just announced FREE community college tuition to all HS students..... (I disagree but there you have it)...

http://republic3-0.com/tennessee-promise-free-community-college-for-all-students/

I kind of agree with both sides here; it's good for Nashville that one of Nashville's largest Corp's is relocating downtown, but at the same time I'm disappointed that a new tallest isn't being produced from this.  Why go underground parking, and why not go ten to fifteen more floors for additional tenant space and room for Bridgestone to grow.  Heck a company like Bridgestone in Nashviile should be in the largest tower in town, and to be honest I'm shocked Bridgestone doesn't want there name on a new tallest with the kind of move they're making.

• Like 3

I think it is incentive money well-spent - and OH MY GOSH John.... what in the world do you mean by "The State reduces tuition incentives for people to go to college here"...... the Gov. just announced FREE community college tuition to all HS students..... (I disagree but there you have it)...

http://republic3-0.com/tennessee-promise-free-community-college-for-all-students/

Community College? Please! How about more student loan money for real colleges like MTSU and UT. It has been shown time and time again, the dropout rate at Community Colleges is higher, and persons holding Associate Degrees are less accepted than persons with 4 year Bachelor Degrees. No disrespect to those holding a Community College Degree, but those wanting 4 year degrees from Universities should be given more money, especially for Masters and Doctoral Degrees.

Hey now John, I thought it was 300' or bust? Maybe it's time to change that to 700' or bust... :yahoo:

Done!

Edited by Urban Architecture