Bridgestone HQ 30 stories - 460' | Retail.U/C

MLBrumby

I was checking out the YouTube site of the company that did the video, and noticed that on their self promotional video, they had some preliminary images of the Bridgestone project at the 40 second mark. These were uploaded about a month ago, telling me that the scale and details of this project must have been worked out several months ago.

They are good at keeping secrets.

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 2

One last thing...Has anybody given any thought that this might be a preliminary design, and there could be some tweaks like we've seen so many times with other buildings like the SoBro, Buckingham, Eakin etc? I mean think about it. Highwoods only came into the picture within the past few weeks, so obviously this design had to come in that time frame, right? Maybe even sooner...They didn't have that last piece of property till last week, and without it, this design would have never worked. I'm thinking there will be some tweaks before everything is said and done. If this design was done that quick just to get something out there, that's a very good possibility. Who knows, maybe it is final, but I wouldn't bet my money on it. It's just hard to comprehend how fast everything moved on this, and something isn't adding up. 

Thoughts?

I doubt there will be anything major.   HIghwoods had all the permitting tee'd up and ready to file and was just waiting on yesterday's announcement.   Their hope is that the site breaks ground late Dec., although the public announcement is early 2015.    Look for the site to be fenced off in a few weeks.    

As noted there is plenty of parking. Also, they may not be utilizing the entire office space initially ... or for years. They can sublet the unused space out and yet still control the space as growth warrants.... just my guess.

Weird, isn't it?  It's like they don't anticipate any company growth. 

I couldn't help but notice while looking at the Sheet Music render that the Bridgestone tower is pretty much the same tower, just doubled up. Of course the curve part was taken out, and the terrace was added, but It's basically the same tower, just two of them. I don't see what some of the fuss is about really. 

3GOLlTh.pngscreen-shot-2014-11-11-at-30224-pm-600_z

Edited by mirydi
  • Like 2

I couldn't help but noticing while looking at the Sheet Music render that the Bridgestone tower is pretty much the same tower, just doubled up. Of course the curve part was taken out, and the terrace was added, but It's basically the same tower, just two of them. I don't see what some of the fuss is about really. 

3GOLlTh.pngscreen-shot-2014-11-11-at-30224-pm-600_z

I see what you are talking about.  And there are the two setbacks at the top on both sided of the tower.  Going to make a huge impact on the skyline coming in from 65S and 24/40.  Hopefully when I make it home for Christmas ground will have been broken.  

Also I think it would have been cool if the outer fins curved in towards each other at the top. 

Edited by bruceman73

I couldn't help but noticing while looking at the Sheet Music render that the Bridgestone tower is pretty much the same tower, just doubled up. Of course the curve part was taken out, and the terrace was added, but It's basically the same tower, just two of them. I don't see what some of the fuss is about really. 

Fair point. I think people were more disappointed that we didn't get the 41-story variant that had been floated around several times.

sheet-music-jpg*304.jpg

I can see the resemblance, though. That sheds more light on a comment I read about "Bridgestone officials deciding to remove the curved elements".

• Like 1

Fair point. I think people were more disappointed that we didn't get the 41-story variant that had been floated around several times.

sheet-music-jpg*304.jpg

I can see the resemblance, though. That sheds more light on a comment I read about "Bridgestone officials deciding to remove the curved elements".

You would think since they are in the tire manufacturing business, they would have left the curved element. I guess we will just have to wait for our curved element when the JW Marriott is built :-)

Edited by bruceman73
  • Like 3

Good pics.   We've never met, but I had a hunch that might have been you standing a few feet away (were you by chance dressed similarly to the photo in your avatar?).   

I was indeed wearing those same obnoxious slacks...! I'll have to come to a meet sometime soon so I can put a face on each of you.

• Like 4

Clarification: I do like the tower, albeit a giant glass box, I just had sticker shock at what the state was giving in incentives. I just had no idea. It will take awhile getting used to that tax payer crunch. My property taxes are sure to go up with all of this development. I can see people selling their units at 5th and Main if property taxes get too high.

• Like 1

Clarification: I do like the tower, albeit a giant glass box, I just had sticker shock at what the state was giving in incentives. I just had no idea. It will take awhile getting used to that tax payer crunch. My property taxes are sure to go up with all of this development. I can see people selling their units at 5th and Main if property taxes get too high.

John, the idea is that any costs spent on upgrading the infrastructure and any revenue forfeited in property taxes on the property would be more than offset in increases in sales and other taxes from the construction activity and the influx of new workers and activity. I'm not saying it will actually work out that way, but that is the theory.  I would be interested in seeing the numbers comparing upgrade infrastructure costs in the core vs. new infrastructure costs in a greenfield.

• Like 2

John, the idea is that any costs spent on upgrading the infrastructure and any revenue forfeited in property taxes on the property would be more than offset in increases in sales and other taxes from the construction activity and the influx of new workers and activity. I'm not saying it will actually work out that way, but that is the theory.  I would be interested in seeing the numbers comparing upgrade infrastructure costs in the core vs. new infrastructure costs in a greenfield.

I am with you in your skepticism.  New workers moving to the area don't necessarily generate additional revenues for Davidson County sufficient to offset the long-term tax forgiveness.  If they all bought houses in Davidson County to generate new residential property taxes and did all of their shopping in Davidson County to boost the local-option sales taxes, that might cover it.  But that is a large number to recover.

On a positive note, I learned at Tuesday's MNPS School Board meeting that Bridgestone is making a significant commitment to the Music Makes Us program benefitting a large number of public school students.  This kind of creative mutual benefit public-private partnership arrangement shows promise.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1