Bridgestone HQ 30 stories - 460' | Retail.U/C

MLBrumby

It is a very easy location to get to. I used to work right down the road from there, and the commute was almost painless coming from Mt. Juliet. I see this being very attractive to someone wanting to stay in the suburbs but maybe avoid the cost of Cool Springs. The only thing that I hated about that area was the lack of food options on Elm Hill. There is a Waffle House and a Jack in the Box, then you have a few places on Donelson Pike. I never understood why there were such few options for so many businesses being around there.

• Like 1

It is a very easy location to get to. I used to work right down the road from there, and the commute was almost painless coming from Mt. Juliet. I see this being very attractive to someone wanting to stay in the suburbs but maybe avoid the cost of Cool Springs. The only thing that I hated about that area was the lack of food options on Elm Hill. There is a Waffle House and a Jack in the Box, then you have a few places on Donelson Pike. I never understood why there were such few options for so many businesses being around there.

Phat Bites, Fat Moes, Jersey Mikes, Champions bar & grill @ Marriott, Joey's Pizza, Romas Pizza, Vittles, etc

• Like 1

I drove by tonight.  A TON of action at the Sobro but the Bridgestone tower is still just a parking lot.  I am sort of surprised that it's not at least fenced off.  :ermm:

I don't think they will start until the last Metro vote. With that being said, tHey could start now after seeing the support they have on the council. It passed last night with a 38-1 vote.

I don't think they will start until the last Metro vote. With that being said, tHey could start now after seeing the support they have on the council. It passed last night with a 38-1 vote.

That is correct.  The next vote is in two weeks.  It would be imprudent to start construction without having that final vote approved and the legislation signed by the Mayor.  Because one never knows what is going to happen.

Side note:  it was interesting to me as an audience member at last night's Council hearing that D35 CM Bo Mitchell (also a State Rep) voiced the most opposition to the tax abatements but ended up voting for them and CM Josh Stites from Donelson cast the lone opposing vote. 

Edited by bwithers1

Scale is all over the place in those stills. I realize it's not the easiest thing to do with perfect accuracy but in all but the third pic, it's rendered shorter than pinnacle even factoring in angle of pov. The last pic shows it considerably shorter. Even if you chalk it up to inaccurate scaling, I still don't see how a 30 story building reaches 460' without a significant crown, especially when a third of the building is garage. I think this will end up being closer to 420'. Of course it will come down to floor heights etc. Hope I'm wrong. Even so, it'll still be a great addition to Sobro.

• Like 1

I know some disagree, but I think Bridgestone looks especially ugly/subpar from this angle. Sheet Music, conversely, made it look as graceful as NYC's Flatiron from this vantage point. Very very disappointing.

I couldn't agree more.  It basically looks like the UBS Tower if it had a facade renovation.  Also, it might just be the fact that it's a video still, but it looks really short from that angle. 

• Like 2

I know some disagree, but I think Bridgestone looks especially ugly/subpar from this angle. Sheet Music, conversely, made it look as graceful as NYC's Flatiron from this vantage point. Very very disappointing.

There was some good conversation around this yesterday on why Perkins & Will did what they did regarding the curves. The two biggest factors were cost (curved glass is especially expensive) and the fact that "rectangular desks don't fit well into semi-circles." I'm ultimately happy that this building will be built - there are some intricacies that are new to Nashville that almost make up for the round bits being chopped off.

• Like 1

There was some good conversation around this yesterday on why Perkins & Will did what they did regarding the curves. The two biggest factors were cost (curved glass is especially expensive) and the fact that "rectangular desks don't fit well into semi-circles." I'm ultimately happy that this building will be built - there are some intricacies that are new to Nashville that almost make up for the round bits being chopped off.

I sure hope they keep all the curves on the JWM design...and don't change to a box.

I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to be at the meet. :ermm:

I'm curious what exactly you mean by the last part of your post?