Bridgestone HQ 30 stories - 460' | Retail.U/C

MLBrumby

^^^ :rofl: Sounds like your already right in the middle of all the "action" that your wallet allows; why leave that? 

On subject; what do y'all think about a potential new tallest in SoBro rather than the CBD?  I think it may be odd at first but over time I could see the CBD, SoBro, Gulch, Music Row and West End's boundaries growing together (which I think we're seeing the beginning stages of) and all being considered the CBD.

My take has been for a long time now that the old "CBD" versus "Sobro" distinction is obselete.  The more office developments keep popping up along Demonbreun, the more obvious it is that Sobro is part of the CBD.  Sobro between KVB and Broadway is at least as much of a "business district" as the area from Broadway to Charlotte.  And it is no less "central."  So that's why I think that at some point the definition of "CBD" will at include everything from Charlotte south to KVB or even further.

• Like 4

^^^ I see what you guys are saying about the lines becoming a little blurry, but I think that's part of the beauty of our cities growth. The "core" has become large enough that we need different names for different areas to help distinguish location.

In my mind, the one word that has become obsolete is "downtown". I know so many people who's idea of "downtown" is anything within 440. I can't tell you how irritated I get when someone tells me to meet them "downtown", when they really mean midtown, 12th S, Elliston, etc.

• Like 2

I say, let Highwoods and Tony duke it out on who is going to go higher.  Tony announces that 505 is going to be 750ft...then Highwoods announces that the Bridgestone Tower will be 760ft.  Then Tony ups his to 770...and the race is on!  :yahoo:

Reminds me of when The L&C Tower was 409 and then years later the NL Tower was 452.  Both insurance companies trying to outdo each other in height. So far, no one has taken on the ATT tower....yet.

Reminds me of when The L&C Tower was 409 and then years later the NL Tower was 452.  Both insurance companies trying to outdo each other in height. So far, no one has taken on the ATT tower....yet.

Although those weren't projects running simultaneously, so I wouldn't really consider it a competition. Life & Casualty was 1957. National Life & Accident was 1969/70.

Actually, as history would tell it, the Chrysler Building was in a race with 40 Wall St for the worlds tallest. The architect of 40 Wall St claimed the title while under construction, but Walter P. Chrysler secretly built the spire of his building INSIDE the building itself. They then hoisted the spire from inside after 40 Wall St had topped out, thus becoming the worlds tallest.

But you're right. The Empire State Building trumped them both only 1 year later.

Edit;

Fun fact. The Chrysler Building is still considered to be the worlds tallest brick building (despite its steel skeleton). Over 3.8 million bricks were hand laid on it's facade. Incredible!

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 2

There's a breaking news story on the Tennessean that says Bridestone picks SoBro site for it's headquarters, but it's for subscribers. Anybody have access? 

"Bridgestone Americas plans to move its corporate headquarters from the airport area to a new office tower that Highwoods Properties would build south of Broadway."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/11/10/bridgestone-americas-headquarters-sobro/18790957/

@ 4th and Demumbrum!  Groundbreaking expected on Tuesday.  

Edited by Bezoar
  • Like 4

Bridgestone Americas plans to move its HQ to a new office tower that Highwoods properties would build south of Broadway. Groundbreaking Tuesday at 4th and Demonbreun. Project will go on 1 acre that Highwoods recently purchased from Tony.

All via the Tennessean. 

Edited by RandomHero

Does anyone wonder if Bridgestone has had a tower design cooking for a while now, and have only been shopping for a place to build it?

With the sale of this site to Highwoods, it seems like that substantially decreases the chance of Tony's design seeing daylight. Additionally, the convention center site rebuild seems to have been designed without much feedback from any major businesses that would reside there. Maybe Bridgestone passed on that site for the reasons already discussed, but also because of a lack of willingness to modify the site to meet their needs...

Does anyone wonder if Bridgestone has had a tower design cooking for a while now, and have only been shopping for a place to build it?

With the sale of this site to Highwoods, it seems like that substantially decreases the chance of Tony's design seeing daylight. Additionally, the convention center site rebuild seems to have been designed without much feedback from any major businesses that would reside there. Maybe Bridgestone passed on that site for the reasons already discussed, but also because of a lack of willingness to modify the site to meet their needs...

I kind of doubt that. One, that would mean they would have to pay for the architectural plans themselves, and two, they had no idea the size or shape of the lot they would be picking.

P.S. -- that's not to say that they WILL use Tony's plans...but given the time frame, it would seem to make more sense to go to a site with ready-made plans and use their architect to make more minor modifications.

• Like 1

There's a breaking news story on the Tennessean that says Bridestone picks SoBro site for it's headquarters, but it's for subscribers. Anybody have access?

Clear browsing history/ cookies. Bam, back to free trial.

And this news is awesome.

Edited by satalac