Bridgestone HQ 30 stories - 460' | Retail.U/C

MLBrumby

So ... does anyone else think that the view of the top of this building from north or south is somehow a miss? The fins look good from the east and west, but from the north and south the mechanical penthouse (I assume that's what it is) looks weirdly exposed.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AUNash said:

So ... does anyone else think that the view of the top of this building from north or south is somehow a miss? The fins look good from the east and west, but from the north and south the mechanical penthouse (I assume that's what it is) looks weirdly exposed.

Yep. Was on the loop yesterday and it took me longer than normal to spot it. The height is meh and the fins obviously don't do much from that angle. It's beautiful from the east and west, though.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I expect I'll get flack for this, but I think the whole thing is underwhelming... from its less-than-noteworthy height, to its unremarkable design, to the fact that the sloped ramps of the parking garage can be seen when lit at night, to the color of the glass that gets lost easily amid surrounding buildings, and to the faint ("tepid") lighting effects on the outside. I noticed in the skyline shot someone posted from the Adventure museum that it simply gets lost in the view.  I find this one to be disappointing in light of what it could/should have been. 

They should've gone with that Flatiron design that was presented. Taller and more unique. <_<

• Like 1

Yeah, I was thinking how nice it would be if developers could build to anticipate future growth, similar to Vanderbilt and the Children's Hospital addition.  Omni and Bridgestone come to mind.  I get it, that the dollar and financing is the bottom line.  I guess it is a little different with hospitals.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, timmay143 said:

Yeah, I was thinking how nice it would be if developers could build to anticipate future growth, similar to Vanderbilt and the Children's Hospital addition.  Omni and Bridgestone come to mind.  I get it, that the dollar and financing is the bottom line.  I guess it is a little different with hospitals.

I couldn't agree more! its frustrating to see things like articles stating Nashville's huge lack of office space along with buildings like 1201 Demonbreun and 222 filling up before completion, all the while investors seem totally unwilling to contribute to larger speculative projects. I do understand some of the tentativeness after the still-recent recession, but Nashville has seemed to prove itself recently as a powerhouse in its own right. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, henburg said:

I couldn't agree more! its frustrating to see things like articles stating Nashville's huge lack of office space along with buildings like 1201 Demonbreun and 222 filling up before completion, all the while investors seem totally unwilling to contribute to larger speculative projects. I do understand some of the tentativeness after the still-recent recession, but Nashville has seemed to prove itself recently as a powerhouse in its own right. 

If I'm not mistaken I believe the office portion of 5th and Broadway is still spec at this point, so maybe developers are starting to get it. 

11 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

If I'm not mistaken I believe the office portion of 5th and Broadway is still spec at this point, so maybe developers* are starting to get it. 

Lending Institutions* Developers get it, but the banks they get loans from are far more hesitant to the risk of non-committed buildings.

1 hour ago, dmillsphoto said:

Lending Institutions* Developers get it, but the banks they get loans from are far more hesitant to the risk of non-committed buildings.

The other issues is that, in the wake of recession, companies and developers are literally pinching the copper from pennies in an effort to save on costs.

Thus, a developer's ridiculously high expectations for rent per sq. ft. tends to not align with a potential tenant's ridiculously low expectations for rent per sq. ft., and ultimately neither party is willing to pre-commit to an arrangement (but instead hold out for some purple unicorn).

Edited by urbanplanet17

I was at the Hans Zimmer concert last night at Ascend and was looking at this building at night. Either the lights down the side were not on or they were just very underwhelming because while I was looking at the Bridgestone logo and other buildings I didn't even notice the lighting scheme.

Are they turned on every night?

18 hours ago, bigeasy said:

I was at the Hans Zimmer concert last night at Ascend and was looking at this building at night. Either the lights down the side were not on or they were just very underwhelming because while I was looking at the Bridgestone logo and other buildings I didn't even notice the lighting scheme.

Are they turned on every night?

I don't think so.  I drove through town Saturday night and they were not on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skyscrapergeek said:

That's because it isn't. :shades:

6 hours ago, bellinibean said:

Definitely doesn't look any taller than Pinnacle.. emoji848.png2e2284425c028d33334cea4890515177.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Wikipedia, The Pinnacle is 417 feet with 29 floors while Bridgestone is 460 feet with 30 floors.

So while definitely too close to call at first glance, it's marginally taller.

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 3

I don't know the actual height; however, my guess is 415'ish.  There is too much visual evidence combined with google earth elevations to rule out Bridgestone being 3-4 stories taller than Pinacle.  We've seen the stacking plan for Pinacle which shows it at 417'.  I won't believe Bridgestone is 460' unless someone shows me  construction docs or a stacking plan.  It's more likely that some reporter (we all know how accurate Nashville reporters are, WW notwithstanding) misunderstood when someone said 416' or it's 460' including the underground parking.  Another example right here on UP, 505 is not 545' as written in the thread title.  SSP lists it at 550'. The stacking plan shows 524'.  Which leads to 5/3 clearly not being 490' when compared to 505 and L&C which are all at the same elevation approximately.  I would love to have a drone company fly around and check the heights of all the major buildings downtown but hey, it's only height right?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skyscrapergeek said:

I don't know the actual height; however, my guess is 415'ish.  There is too much visual evidence combined with google earth elevations to rule out Bridgestone being 3-4 stories taller than Pinacle.  We've seen the stacking plan for Pinacle which shows it at 417'.  I won't believe Bridgestone is 460' unless someone shows me  construction docs or a stacking plan.  It's more likely that some reporter (we all know how accurate Nashville reporters are, WW notwithstanding) misunderstood when someone said 416' or it's 460' including the underground parking.  Another example right here on UP, 505 is not 545' as written in the thread title.  SSP lists it at 550'. The stacking plan shows 524'.  Which leads to 5/3 clearly not being 490' when compared to 505 and L&C which are all at the same elevation approximately.  I would love to have a drone company fly around and check the heights of all the major buildings downtown but hey, it's only height right?

I agree with you.  Just like I don't think the JWM is going to be only 385'.  With the number or floors, including a 3-story crown and really tall floors below, it has to be over 400'.  Don't think we can always trust the numbers thrown out there.

• Like 3