Patrick Cannon...Charlotte's new --> old mayor

cltbwimob

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I hear a "pro transit" person say that they are anti streetcar I want to hear what their alternative proposal for high capacity transit to the east is -- in the absence of that I gotta just dismiss them as an ideologue.

Yeah I tweeted him and asked how/why he can be both.

Thanks for the advice.  <insert Phil McCracken joke here>, and others ad nauseam

I can't support Phil because his brother 'Big Ern' has a much better grasp of municipal policy:

post-18626-0-94808300-1433340095_thumb.j

and he is a big supporter of local charities:

post-18626-0-44653900-1433340978_thumb.j

"these kids nearly got Munsoned"

Any interest in turning this into a mayoral election thread?  Or is there already one?  Anyway, Charlotte Agenda has a quick-hitter (as is their style) on candidate Peacock.  Seems like not a complete nutjob, which is nice and surprising.  Confusingly to me, though, he is "into transit", doesn't want Charlotte to become Atlanta, yet is (apparently very) against streetcar.  Not that I'd ever vote Republican on anything, but I'd take some UP guidance from people who know the issues more better than me.

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/5487/22-things-i-learned-in-49-minutes-with-mayoral-candidate-edwin-peacock/

Peacock is the Republicans best shot. He's fairly moderate. If he can't win in Charlotte, no republican ever will again.

Peacock is one of the most moderate republicans I've seen.  I don't agree with him on everything, but he seems like a sensible guy that would get the job done and loves the city.  If it's between him and someone else and the decision is difficult, that's a good problem to have for us.

at the risk of devolving into the superficial...

Peacock is more than a little douchey. He doesn't pass my 'I would have a beer with him' test. But, then again, our last mayor is in federal prison.

Rereading the old comments on his transit policy I am still unsettled by the language he used. There was so much hedging that my fear is he would pull a Guv McCrory/McPope once in office.

Frankly I am tired of hearing candidates talk about what CANT be done for budget reasons. I really want to hear about ways that they hope to GET things done despite tight budgets. It is epochly stupid to let budget concerns be the sole driver of policy in one of the fastest growing cities in the country (cough-Atlanta-cough-Phoenix-cough-Houston-cough). Some bad decisions just can't be undone. 

at the risk of devolving into the superficial...

Peacock is more than a little douchey. He doesn't pass my 'I would have a beer with him' test. But, then again, our last mayor is in federal prison (Cannon didn't pass the beer test either).

Rereading the old comments on his transit policy I am still unsettled by the language he used. There was so much hedging with language that my fear is he would pull a Guv McCrory/McPope once in office.

Frankly I am tired of hearing candidates talk about what CANT be done for budget reasons. I really want to hear about ways that they hope to GET things done despite tight budgets. It is epochally stupid to let budget concerns be the sole driver of policy in one of the fastest growing cities in the country (cough-Atlanta-cough-Phoenix-cough-Houston-cough). Some bad decisions just can't be undone. 

This is what I'm afraid of. I'm willing to bet that once he gets in, he'll be a mere extension of the powers to be in Raleigh, and veto the hell out out of anything that would be seen as liberal or "big government spending". Republicans will never have a majority in Charlotte again on the city council (barring the NC General Assembly gerrymandering the hell out of the districts, like with Greensboro's City Council and the Wake County Commissioners), but I still don't want someone who will impede Charlotte's progress.

Also, can a mod change the title of this topic to Charlotte Politics, or something of that nature?

Rereading the old comments on his transit policy I am still unsettled by the language he used. There was so much hedging with language that my fear is he would pull a Guv McCrory/McPope once in office.

Yep.  And even the Observer's endorsement was all about "**IF** he can resist caving to the crazies in his party....".  Well, unfortunately, I don't think that's possible.  Nor can I trust him not to.

He is. In all liklihood I will vote for him or Jennifer Roberts. I think DC brings a strong sense of professionalism and decorum to the council that is otherwise missing

agree. I've liked him so far.

I see that Scott Stone is a contender on the republican side again. I'm surprised his humiliating defeat in 08 didn't keep him from ever considering office again. I follow him on Facebook because a friend of mine used to work for his campaign and he's sticking with the same positions that got him absolutely destroyed in his last election. Why even waste your time, money, or energy running for office when you literally have no shot? Charlotte will never go to someone that is relatively far to the right.

Peacock is the only chance of the republicans, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him lose the primary since further right republicans will show up for the primaries and independents will not. Independents on the other hand will not vote for Stone, but might vote for Peacock.

Peacock is the Republicans best shot. He's fairly moderate. If he can't win in Charlotte, no republican ever will again.

Doubt that it has anything to do with the brand of Republican. It has to do with the fact that the substantial majority of Charlotteans are lock-step Democrat now.

Yeah, I really can't see a Republican being elected in Charlotte again. Most major cities in the U.S. tilt more to the left, and the majority of these cities have Democrats as mayors. Charlotte also as a minority-majority, which would be another barrier for a Republican to overcome. The primary is really the main event for this election year.

Doubt that it has anything to do with the brand of Republican. It has to do with the fact that the substantial majority of Charlotteans are lock-step Democrat now.

Charlotte republicans have long been a minority in the city and McCrory dominated elections here. I'm sure Charlotte is more democrat now than it used to be, but you have to remember that South Charlotte has been getting the bulk of growth and continues to today. Those areas are solidly red and it doesn't really seem to be getting any bluer. Even though I don't like Ballantyne and generally dislike the republican platform, I like that they're there to balance things to some extent. I never want one party to have all of the influence.

Peacock's platform seems to be relatively similar to that of Mayor Pat. He has a small, but legitimate shot at winning. He even won the Plaza Midwood district in the last election he ran in. Scott Stone on the other hand would suffer another humiliating defeat if he's on the ticket for the general election.

Larger question: afer voting in the likes of Patrick Cannon, should Charlotteans even be allowed to vote ?

For their own mayor? For any office at all?

Yes to both questions, no matter how bad their choices.

Full disclosure: I voted for Mitchell in the Democratic primary and Peacock in the general election. Anyone who paid the slightest attention to Cannon and the campaign should have seen flags all over him. When an eminence grise like Harvey Gantt takes sides in a primary (he endorsed James Mitchell over Cannon) it's a huge red flag. I instantly knew Cannon was bad news.

Did most Charlotteans see this? No. Most Charlotteans didn't even vote. We had an 18% turnout. But state-wide voters gave us the GOP in Raleigh. Now if you want to prevent them from voting again, why, I'm all ears!  :rolleyes:

Do you know Mayor Dan, the Developers' Man?

Clodfelter was a co-sponsor of legislation restricting cities from using residential design standards. Granted, he exempted historic districts (he lives in one).

Now, a similar law is poised to pass in Raleigh. So much for local control.

Archived