Where do you get news these days?

nashvillwill

With the demise of The City Paper, I'm finding it rather difficult to find a source of Nashville news. Sure, the NBJ is very adequate for what it covers. But business is business. I also like to hear about other topics like sports and culture. The Scene is so infrequently updated, that it doesn't quench my thirst. The Tennessean is subscription only and I wouldn't pay a dime for it anyways. The news channel websites cover a good range of topics, but they are basically just headlines with no meat.

Is there something that I am missing? Any recommendations?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These days I stick with a mixture of the above publications.  I also sometimes check out this website: http://nashvilleguru.com/...which isn't exactly a news website, but it is fairly regularly updated with all the local events, new restaurant and store openings, and other cultural happenings, all broken down by neighborhood.  I thought it might be worth mentioning in the off chance that some of you guys weren't aware of it. 

The Tennessean is subscription only and I wouldn't pay a dime for it anyways. 

It's easy to get around it. Just clear your cookies and it resets the free trial function for their site. There is some good info on there, but you have to skim around to find it. I'd like to find a better publication for local news as well. 

I read the Planning Commission agenda staff reports and the Metro Historic Zoning Commission agendas, which in turn roll up to the Council Agendas.  So in other words, the council bill might give a description of a rezoning, but you have to go back to the planning commission agenda when the item passed in order to get the details if you haven't been following that particular case closely.  Sometimes I read the BZA or Traffic and Parking Commission agendas as well.  Permits are listed but there is a lot to sift through.  Everything from adding a fence to redoing electrical for a store build-out to foundation permits for midrise apartment buildings are all in one place.  I rarely have time to read all of that.  I would also caution with the Planning stuff that just because Planning approves something doesn't necessarily mean the the Council will, or that the applicant will actually have the resources to start the project once the city approves it.  Most famously, WES has been through all of these stages and yet . . .

TheMHZC reports are mostly houses or garage additions, but lately there have been lots of references to the Broadway-area buildings with their constant requests to demolish historic windows and put up tacky balconies and garish rooftop decks.  They also have lots of signage requests.  I'm glad that MHZC keeps things classy somewhat, although the Pub5 building is a pretty good example of multiple past owners doing work without permits in order not to have to follow historic limitations.  The fact that they are doing some of that work without permits, or not following the details of the permits, makes me wonder why the use and occupancy permits for those businesses don't get pulled, but Nashville is seriously lax in enforcement of codes.  Then when Nashville finally does enforce codes, it seems draconian by comparison.

May sound silly, but I do get a lot of news from facebook and twitter or similar sites. May not be traditional, but you can get some good stuff on there if you have accounts. For example, I follow On the Forecheck, Section303, etc. for Preds stuff. Historic Nashville for some Nashville stuff.

Archived