My Pet Peeve

apaladin

I am a little bored so I thought I would post something that is a pet peeve of mine, but I don't lose any sleep over it so it's not that big of a deal. Why does the interstate exit signage that point to 385 off of Haywood and Pleasantburg say "Greenville" and not "Downtown"? Aren't you already in the city of Greenville if you are on Haywood and Pleasantburg? Why does the signage on 85 to 385 say Downtown Greenville if you are traveling south but no such signage if you are traveling North? The same is true for 185 only reversed. Shouldn't the signage be the same in both directions? Of course everyone knows the guy in charge of such signage is in Spartanburg and his prejudice to Sparkle City are evident. Here are a few examples of his favoritism of Spartanburg over Greenville: Business 85 in Sptbg is a "Freeway Loop" while the Southern Connector has no signage. The Chapman Cultural Center had interstate signage before it opened while the Peace Center has none. The Peace Center probably draws 100 times more peeps than the CCC. Wofford, Converse etc have multiple exit signs all over Sptbg. County while Furman and Bob Jones have one. Furman should have an exit sign at 185 if you're coming from Atlanta at least. A one time a year event that last 3 hours has a permanent sign on 85 in Spartanburg while the small 8 year old "Baseball Stadium" sign still stands at 85 and 385 in Greenville years after it was named Fluor Field. Chances are the BI-LO Center signs won't be updated either. I could go on but in general those "big green signs" are newer and in better shape that the ones in Greenville. Ok, I feel better now. Just sayin'

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because if they are going downtown northbound on I-85 they're going to take I-185 over I-385 to get there due to quicker travel times. You can put in the opposite if they are going southbound on I-85 also. They'll take I-385 over I-185 in that case to get downtown. 

Personally, the signage issue doesn't bother me and I have never really noticed it. Now the lighting along I-85 in the western part of the county? That's a different story. What's the point of having my tax dollars going to put those things up if you can't keep them on? 

I totally agree about the signs!  They should say "Downtown" or "Downtown Greenville" when you're at the Haywood Road @ I-385 on ramp.  The sign which says "Baseball Stadium" is equally stupid.  What's interesting is that I had no idea that someone in Spartanburg was the one making these decisions.  I thought it was some moron in Columbia.

I am a little bored so I thought I would post something that is a pet peeve of mine, but I don't lose any sleep over it so it's not that big of a deal. Why does the interstate exit signage that point to 385 off of Haywood and Pleasantburg say "Greenville" and not "Downtown"? Aren't you already in the city of Greenville if you are on Haywood and Pleasantburg? Why does the signage on 85 to 385 say Downtown Greenville if you are traveling south but no such signage if you are traveling North? The same is true for 185 only reversed. Shouldn't the signage be the same in both directions? Of course everyone knows the guy in charge of such signage is in Spartanburg and his prejudice to Sparkle City are evident. Here are a few examples of his favoritism of Spartanburg over Greenville: Business 85 in Sptbg is a "Freeway Loop" while the Southern Connector has no signage. The Chapman Cultural Center had interstate signage before it opened while the Peace Center has none. The Peace Center probably draws 100 times more peeps than the CCC. Wofford, Converse etc have multiple exit signs all over Sptbg. County while Furman and Bob Jones have one. Furman should have an exit sign at 185 if you're coming from Atlanta at least. A one time a year event that last 3 hours has a permanent sign on 85 in Spartanburg while the small 8 year old "Baseball Stadium" sign still stands at 85 and 385 in Greenville years after it was named Fluor Field. Chances are the BI-LO Center signs won't be updated either. I could go on but in general those "big green signs" are newer and in better shape that the ones in Greenville. Ok, I feel better now. Just sayin'

I rarely post on the Greenville UP page but feel I need to weigh in on your pet peeve.  The story about the "FREEWAY LOOP" signs is a little more complicated that you have assumed.  Looking back on it, I wish that it was "favoritism" that got those signs put up.

You see, back in 2000 a group of Spartanburg business leaders (including me) petitioned SCDOT to redesignate Business Loop 85 as Interstate 685.  The "guy in charge" (really just a district commisioner) was from Spartanburg but he and EVERYONE else at SCDOT were adamamently against our proposal.  We even lobbied Strom Thurmond, Ernest Hollings, the governor, and other big wigs to no avail.  Finally, after many meetings and presentations, SCDOT "compromised" (or got tired of our yammering) and stuck FREEWAY LOOP signs rather than Interstate 685 shields on existing overhead signs at I-85 exits 69 and 77.  The district commissioner, or the "guy in charge" as you say, played absolutely no part in that decision.  This man, while we were not acquainted, knew of my family and yes, in the beginning I did think he would support our cause.  

Regarding the other signs I gotta tell you that SCDOT marches to their own beat.  I'll stop short of calling them "morons" but they seem to be oblivious to the public and common sense.  Just a couple of years ago I discovered a sign on US-176 with it's directional arrow pointing in the WRONG direction.  After several unacknowledged letters, one of them to the same "man in charge" (who had since retired), I finally contacted a member of the Spartanburg county council who was able to get the sign corrected.

SCDOT is rolling out new signs on all South Carolina interstates.  The signs will have clearview font which is the new federal standard.  It is possible that the signs you want will be included in this rollout.

Prejudice in favor of The Sparkle City?  I think not.

• 2 months later...

Four months in and still no new or changed signage for the Bon Secours Wellness Arena, but really didn't expect any.

Photos of new signage going up: http://www.foxcarolina.com/slideshow?widgetid=100774

Some of the new signage was reviewed by the Design and Review Board at the November meeting and ultimately was approved. That is the signage being installed this week. Another application is currently making its way through the DRB for two new marquees: one on East North St. that will be larger than the current marquee, and one near the VIP parking lot on Church Street. Progress takes time.

Did they mean the green signs when you are coming into Greenville? As those still say Bi-Lo

If you mean the lighted marquee that stands in front of the main entrance, by the road, yes. That is to be replaced by a larger marquee, if the plan is approved. Eventually all Bi-Lo signage will be replaced, but the replacements first have to be designed, then approved by the city. I'm glad that the Welllness Arena management are taking their time to plan the transition properly rather than doing it willy-nilly.

• 1 month later...

Now six months have gone by and still no change to the interstate signs. They probably never will change them. Fluor Field had been there for 8 years and we still have the little baseball stadium sign.

You sound surprised. You shouldn't be because it's the SCDOT.

• 1 month later...

Lo and behold. It looks like the Bilo Center signs on 85 may finally be coming down. I noticed today that new posts are in place in front of the old signs so it looks like the BSW arena may finally be getting 85 signage. Those 8 year old small "Baseball Stadium" signs still remain however. Looks like Fluor would push to get signs on 85.

Archived