• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

Charlotte Arts and Science Council

Should Charlotte Raised the Hotel/Motel Tax for the Arts & Science Council?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should Charlotte Raised the Hotel/Motel Tax for the Arts & Science Council?

• No
    • Yes
    • Not my concern

The Charlotte Arts and Science Council is again requesting taxpayer money for its projects. See this article for the details. It would seem to me that rasing the tax to 16% could actually hurt the city as that is a significant expense for businesses & conventioneers to take on when considering to sent people to the city.

So the question is, should the Charlotte City Council raise the hotel/motel tax for the ASC?

Well I would much rather see the hotel tax spent on arts rather than a NASCAR museum, but the funding source for the arts is really the car rental tax and would not be funded at all by the hotel tax.

That said I can't really answer the poll, since it's not a realistic option.....however, the $100M spent on NASCAR could easily have convered the public share of all the arts proposals, plus more.

And the private companies have committed money.....about $45M alone between BofA, Wachovia, and Duke.......how much more do they need to give, considering how much additionally they give to essentially every non-profit organization in the region.

News 14 story about the ASC plan:

http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/top....asp?ArID=94123

Private funds would pay for $100 million of the entire cultural arts plan. The private sector would also raise $65 million in endowments and absorb $42 million in operating costs that the city was paying for.

In return, the public sector would request an increase in the car rental tax and agree to $41 million in tax increment financing. The additional tax revenue would pay for $67 million.

Wachovia is also studying the idea of creating a "cultural campus" on S. Tryon by adding the Mint Museums to their project that already includes plans for the Becthler and a 1,200 seat theater.