Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fotoman311

740 Michigan St - Lofts on Michigan mixed-use development

36 posts in this topic

sounds like a great addition, I hope the "mid-town" area truly becomes a separate destination/identity from downtown complete with its own skyline of midrises and visible from the 196. This might be just the beginning. 

Over 70% of the parking spaces will be underground and the apartments will be market rate.  I feel like I am dreaming.  Thank you 616!  This area might explode in growth and change over the next 10 years.

I'm still stunned that this project actually is designed to be built at the street, over one story in height, mixed-use, and doesn't feature a huge blank wall facing the street.

Are they sure they know that they are in Grand Rapids? Dont they have some variances they need to apply for?!?! Turn the entire ground floor into a parking garage, maybe?

God knows they are like the first developers on that stretch of Michigan st. that would actually do a project like this WITHOUT doing one of those things.

How do they expect to attract any sort of business to the ground floor retail without a drive thru? :dunno:

1 person likes this

I think Third Coast (Omelette Shop) did a good job on Michigan St. This new development will definitely help improve the neighborhood feel. Way to go 616!

Joe

I'm still stunned that this project actually is designed to be built at the street, over one story in height, mixed-use, and doesn't feature a huge blank wall facing the street.

Are they sure they know that they are in Grand Rapids? Dont they have some variances they need to apply for?!?! Turn the entire ground floor into a parking garage, maybe?

God knows they are like the first developers on that stretch of Michigan st. that would actually do a project like this WITHOUT doing one of those things.

1 person likes this

I think Third Coast (Omelette Shop) did a good job on Michigan St. This new development will definitely help improve the neighborhood feel. Way to go 616!

Joe

The physical form and materials of the Omelette Shoppe are good, and there is transparency with lots of big windows.  But, you can't actually enter it from the "front" door on the southwest corner facing Michigan.  If you are a pedestrian, which is how I typically get there since I live nearby, you have to walk all the way around the building to the entrance facing a driveway and a stairwell leading the parking lot.  This is not good urbanism.  The door to El Barrio is also not facing Michigan, but at least it faces an actual street on the east side of the building, only making you walk halfway around the building.  There is also outdoor seating on the sidewalk, making the walk to the entrance inviting.

Imagery:

10757911964_139c3df166_o.jpg

CRANE ALERT:

So I’m sitting in Van’s Bakery on Fulton this morning having a cup of coffee and eating a bear claw and I overhear an old guy at the next table talking to the lady that runs the shop.  They are talking about new apartments going up with retail space on the first floor and a parking ramp in the basement.  The gist of the conversation is that this is property that he used to own which he’s glad he sold and both of them can’t figure out who’s going to live in all the apartments going up.  Being an old guy myself, who no longer knows enough to keep to himself, I insert myself into the conversation.  I ask if this is downtown and mention that there are supposedly long waiting lists for downtown apartments.   Turns out they are not talking about downtown but rather about this project at the southwest corner of Michigan and Eastern.  The old guy is Kurly the former owner of the bar that used to be on this property, Kurly’s Korner.  

After I leave Van’s I take a little drive over to Michigan and Eastern and see for myself that the developers are finally moving on this project.  There is a pretty big crane there and they are putting in pilings for the foundation.  No camera on my phone, someone else will have to take the crane pictures.   

Edited by walker

I was going to say something last week during demo, but could find the thread. Lot is fenced off and they seem to be making quick work on the site.

I also noticed an Erb Thai banner on the former Donks space today.

Not to get too far off topic, but did all Donks close?

Looks like they changed the giant handle on top to a giant diving board.  The rest looks unchanged, thankfully.. looks like it should be a good building.

post-10929-0-72871700-1411471949_thumb.j

I could've sworn there were construction photos here, but I guess I was wrong.

rayMxrv.jpg

I could've sworn there were construction photos here, but I guess I was wrong.

rayMxrv.jpg

I have taken a few but I can't remember now where I put them.

This project scaled up fast. 

17334269731_75f3f0485f_b.jpg

17148430049_4f69a72bd3_b.jpg

And when I say scale, I mean scale.

16712195154_6d55c931c9_b.jpg

1 person likes this

Are there any plans for that yellow house next to it?   I'd love to see Michigan from Fuller to college be lined with nothing but buildings like this. 

None I've heard of.  It would be neat to see it restored, however.