Sign in to follow this  
fotoman311

740 Michigan St - Lofts on Michigan mixed-use development

Fresh photo of 740.

It is mesmerizing just sitting and looking at this in comparison to its surroundings. It is a beast! Just amazing.

And with the new project potentially coming just a few meters down the street, this area is going to be on fire in 2 years.

WP_20150808_11_01_31_Pro.thumb.jpg.93354

It is impressive driving past this building.

What again will go on the ground floor and why the high ceilings?

I wondered the same thing. They're extremely tall ceilings. Almost looks like you could get a mezzanine in some of those spaces. 

They look tall enough to handle restaurant exhaust and other equipment without causing too much disruption to the apartments above honestly.

They look tall enough to handle restaurant exhaust and other equipment without causing too much disruption to the apartments above honestly.

Good point. Maybe they wanted to have the space be capable of a large restaurant operator. Maybe they have one signed up. 

I'm just speculating, but It was Mark Sellers (Hopcat, GRBC, Stellas, etc.) that sold the land to 616.  If I remember correctly, Mark wanted to build a restaurant there, but decided that he didn't want to be a developer/building owner.  So if there is a restaurant going in there I'd give it a good chance that Mark Sellers would be the operator.  However it doesn't seem like Mark to have not announced what it would be.

So something to do with 7 monks is on the planning commisions agenda this week. I don't think it's a liquor license, but perhaps something to do with zoning.  Does anyone know if 7 monks is planning on taking up the entire commercial space of this property?

33 minutes ago, MJLO said:

So something to do with 7 monks is on the planning commisions agenda this week. I don't think it's a liquor license, but perhaps something to do with zoning.  Does anyone know if 7 monks is planning on taking up the entire commercial space of this property?

I would doubt it. That's a lot of space for a beer tasting room.

10 hours ago, MJLO said:

This is what the packet states- Requesting the approval of sales and on-site consumption of alcohol, live entertainment, and outdoor seating, in association with 7 Monks Taproom, a proposed full-service restaurant and taproom.  Also, it says after they are in, there is still an additional 8800 sq ft of retail available.

Edited by ctpgr34
addition

7 Monks (and City Built) were both on the list a couple weeks ago as well.  City Built seemed like just a formality and got the OK without a peep. 

7 Monks was the opposite and the agenda item was tabled as open.  They had not met with any neighborhood associations (that has since happened), there was much concern with it being the 11th liquor license in the vicinity, the current parking situation is bad two blocks away from other Michigan businesses (a lot of no-driveway homes right there), the Birch Lodge lawyer had his say, someone was shot and killed over parking there a couple years ago...  Fun stuff.

This meeting sounds like a start over.