bic

Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex [Proposed]

152 posts in this topic

It's been a long time since I've been able to start a thread for a major new project and it feels great to have the opportunity do so. Let's try to keep all of the discussion about this project in this thread just to keep things simple. Now, onto the proposed development:

Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex

"A $200 million private investment by the Orlando Magic and its partners that would create jobs, and provide dining, hotel and entertainment options and continue the revitalization of Downtown Orlando and the Parramore neighborhood."

-Alex Martins, Orlando Magic president

4036817_G.jpg

TIMELINE

The City of Orlando approves a deal to sell 7.82 acres of land currently occupied by the Orlando Police Station and a public parking garage to the Orlando Magic for $12.7 million. Link to article

LOVE that its going to reopen Pine St.  I hate when I-4 is congested and I get off at OBT to take Michigan --> Division home that I then have to do South --> Garland --> Pine, instead of just being able to go straight to Pine.  However, it's too bad that all but certainly, I won't be living at 55W anymore by the time it is done.

With that said, the timeline in the powerpoint suggested that it's going to be two-phased, The Magic offices and new/replacement parking garage first before the city vacates the OPD HQ.  

So first thing is the rescue mission fully vacating... then Demo of most/all of the current parking garage... so that they can build a new parking garage on the site of the rescue mission, and the offices on the western portion of the garage.  Curious to see what they'll do with the eastern half where Draft is until OPD vacates.

Seems like a good layout. I doubt the buildings will be as tall as the renderings. And 30K retails is kind of low to be a destination.

Would be nice to see the football stadium, this and the new police HQ under construction at the same time and then maybe someone announce something on that empty lot next to hughey HQ.

From the renderings it looks like the current buildings rescue mission are in wont be touched. Does anyone know if that parcel of land on the NW corner was or will be bought out? or will they try to re purpose the historic buildings? The main building was built in 1925, so it would be nice to see them save a little bit of the history and character on the west side of I4. maybe it could possibly be a bar or eatery when the soccer stadium and complex is complete.

Oh now I have time to think of it...I would probably swap the location of the condo with the garage. Nobody wants to live right next to I-4.

Oh now I have time to think of it...I would probably swap the location of the condo with the garage. Nobody wants to live right next to I-4.

Isn't this a hotel and convention center?  I didn't think condos were a part of this plan.  If so, who would actually want to live in an "entertainment center"?

I am guessing that they will have a 7-11 in this...

2 people like this

Isn't this a hotel and convention center?  I didn't think condos were a part of this plan.  If so, who would actually want to live in an "entertainment center"?

It looks to be like the building in the northeast parcel of the site is designed to be residential and aside from its proximity to I-4, I don't see a problem with its location near an entertainment center. While Church Street itself may get rowdy during event nights, the residential building is directly neighbored by a parking garage, a courthouse, I-4, and the backside of the proposed convention center hotel-- not exactly Bourbon Street. Heck, it'll probably be more family-friendly than 55 West's location.

BTW, this concept is totally a smaller-scale version of L.A. Live, which is the entertainment/hotel/convention center complex adjacent to the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

la-live.jpg

2020811845.jpg

Hopefully we can get a statue of T Mac in our complex. A house of Blue's would be nice too...

It's totally a smaller scale of the L.A. Live, in the rendering I noticed the towers with lights and screens, very similar. I was thinking maybe a Hilton, W, or Renaissance Hotel would do well here. House of Blues as well with all the changes going on in Downtown Disney. What would be other good establishments to have? And is that green roofing throughout the development?

I can't get into the idea of Gondola transportation in most circumstances, but if there was another cluster of entertainment near the Citrus Bowl then the total stretch could be bigger and better than LA Live and could be connected by something cool like that.

I am sorry to be so negative....for such a huge complex if the amount of commercial space is only 30 000 sq ft...that's sad. How can that be a destination?

To put 30K square ft commercial space into perspective...that's about 2 1/2 H&M store in Florida Mall, or a very small bowling alley, and a Macy is bigger than 30K. No major retails store will go into that space without knowing there is a cluster of shops.

I am sorry to be so negative....for such a huge complex if the amount of commercial space is only 30 000 sq ft...that's sad. How can that be a destination?

To put 30K square ft commercial space into perspective...that's about 2 1/2 H&M store in Florida Mall, or a very small bowling alley, and a Macy is bigger than 30K. No major retails store will go into that space without knowing there is a cluster of shops.

I completely agree with you that the commercial space is small and not efficient for retail. From what I understand, they are mostly focusing on dining and entertainment. I know space does not allow it, I would like to see something like Bayside in Miami with dining and marketplace. 

I completely agree with you that the commercial space is small and not efficient for retail. From what I understand, they are mostly focusing on dining and entertainment. I know space does not allow it, I would like to see something like Bayside in Miami with dining and marketplace. 

I assumed the 30K commercial spaces include dinning and entertaintment....unless restaurants are counted separately....

I assumed the 30K commercial spaces include dinning and entertaintment....unless restaurants are counted separately....

Yes it is counted for dining. That's why I don't believe focus is on too much retail. 

It looks to be like the building in the northeast parcel of the site is designed to be residential and aside from its proximity to I-4, I don't see a problem with its location near an entertainment center. While Church Street itself may get rowdy during event nights, the residential building is directly neighbored by a parking garage, a courthouse, I-4, and the backside of the proposed convention center hotel-- not exactly Bourbon Street. Heck, it'll probably be more family-friendly than 55 West's location.

Don't forget the Union Rescue Mission.

Apparently it's staying put.

I think the answer can be found in your comment "I assume[d]". 

Now if that damn church would praise with the less fortunate. 

2 people like this