Shockoe Bottom Ballpark (Proposed)

wrldcoupe4

Looks like a major announcement is forthcoming regarding the possibility of a new baseball stadium in Shockoe Bottom. In addition to the a new ballpark, the plan is expected to address long term stormwater infrastructure issues, a redesign of the 17th Street Farmer's Market, heritage sites related to Richmond's role in the slave trade, as well as commercial development. Sources have said that a major retailer (rumor on the street is a grocer) and hotel have committed to the project.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/latest-news/sources-mayor-to-present-shockoe-ballpark-proposal-monday/article_d9b59046-4803-11e3-9f98-001a4bcf6878.html

http://www.nbc12.com/story/23909158/mayor-to-reveal-shockoe-bottom-baseball-stadium-proposal-monday

The projected is intended to provide a new ballpark for the Flying Squirrels while freeing up approx. 60 acres of property along the Boulevard for major mixed use development. 

Looking forward to seeing the plan.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm particularly supportive of this. It's time to finally shut the traps of all the NIMBYs who would rather have a blighted structure or surface lot in such a neat, urban neighborhood on the rise. The grocer/hotel commitment prospect is the thing that intrigues me the most. If they can snag a full-service hotel like a Hilton, as well as even a Trader Joe's, man, the Bottom would be set.

Throw in Main Street Station's renovations, the farmer's market plaza and the Franklin St. reopening under MSS and you have the most exciting contiguous area of development.

Come on, somebody on here has to know some gossip.  I can't wait until Monday.

A Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods would be a game-changer down there.  The key to this development is there has to be enough going on around the ballpark that it doesn't feel deserted when there are no games going on.

It's official. (or at least as a plan).

A Hyatt, kroger, 750 apartments, ballpark, potential for high rise office development and interactive historical exhibit on slave history etc

And a long winding pedestrian plaza along main st. Station.

Look at the RTD

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/minors/baseball/flying-squirrels/shockoe-ballpark-plan-to-top-million-investment/article_b462e898-d3f0-5abf-86ad-63a0a3e21d80.html

So if I'm viewing this correctly, this development would flank Broad St between 17th and 16th? 

And is the large tower north of Broad the potential office site? That seems like an unlikely place for high-rise office development. I would imagine most businesses looking for high-rise space would prefer to be closer to the business core unless we're talking about a tenant interested in leasing the entire building. 

LovingRVA has been unveiled got check it out now its filled with renderings!!

You know, I'm not sure I like the idea of the 17th Street promenade. 

I'd rather see a 17th Street Farmer's Market replacement (something covered and structural). 

Even Roanoke's market building is something Richmond could aspire to: 

CMB-front2012.jpg

Perhaps they could slice the 17th street promenade in half and put a market building in the southern half and make the northern half a plaza. You'd have an open pedestrian space book-ended by a market building and stadium and flanked by restaurants, cafes and clubs. 

I used to share the same opinion, but the more I think about it, the more an adaptable multi-use plaza type space works. Faneuil Hall in Boston, which is similar in dimensions as to what would work on this location, felt gimmicky to me. A space that can serve as a farmer's market on market days (a la SOTJ market) and serve other purposes throughout the year (festivals, game day promenade, etc) seems to work better, at least to me.

An outside source Ballpark Digest has picked up most of the facts we know and put it into an article. Apparently, it says updated, which means they must have been following this for quite some time. Interesting website.

http://ballparkdigest.com/201311116785/minor-league-baseball/news/squirrels-ballpark-plan-includes-hotel-apartments-grocery

Although the rendering is very nice and the description sounds great I don't believe this is an appropriate development for Shockoe bottom; I believe the project will face many halts, delays, and expense overruns due to the unearthing of historic artifacts, buildings, and possible people from centuries before.

I am all for Shockoe's revitalization, restoration & development and I do believe there are elements of the plan that will work for the bottom, just not the ballpark.

They should redevelop the piece of property on the Blvd, as a more sunken field to allow for urban-style street frontage including restaurants, bars and retail. Then street-scape the Blvd over the bridge to Movieland so it would be a very pedestrian/bike friendly, well/lit corridor all the way to Broad St.

I've changed my view now and am quietly pushing for a neat ballpark overlooking the James and the skyline in Manchester, a national slavery museum in the Bottom, and a huge high-density mixed-use development on the Boulevard. I'm a minority on that, though, even though it seems to be the plan that would (to me) keep everyone happy.

Archived