Quad-East Loop (I-795)

DCMetroRaleigh

GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY -

City and county leaders held a news conference Monday afternoon at Greenville’s City Hall to discuss a project to link four cities by highways.

They said the project called "Quad-East" will promote economic growth.

The four highways in question would connect Wilson, Greenville, Kinston and Goldsboro. 3 of the sides of the quad already exist—it's the part from Kinston to Greenville that remains to be built.

The idea is to connect the cities, to benefit the medical school in Greenville, the Global Transpark in Kinston, and Seymour-Johnson Air Force Base in Goldsboro.

http://www.wcti12.com/news/leaders-meet-to-discuss-quadeast-highway-loop-project/-/13530444/22802226/-/t3v4wj/-/index.html

I was under the impression that the McCrory administration would lessen the spending on things like interstate upgrades for low-traffic rural highways for dubious economic development benefit, and instead focus spending on areas where there is congestion. Does there really need to be an interstate highway between Kinston and Greenville?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I can understand building nice highways from RM, Wilson and Goldsboro to Raleigh. But anything east of there is a waste of money. You can now get from Wilson to North Raleigh and downtown in 35-40 minutes. That drive used to be over an hour.

There is already a four lane road that takes you from Kinston to Greenville anyway, hwy 11, and it's already a fast trip. They need to finish building the 540 loop in Raleigh...this drive to North Raleigh from Fuquay Varina is killing me...50 minutes to an hour everyday one way. Total BS (for like a 20 mile drive) Hate politics in Wake co. (Yes, I consider raleigh eastern NC)

Additional note...these new highways in eastern NC do not spur development. The towns are already low in population and all these roads do is kill downtowns because there is no longer any traffic flowing through them.

Edited by RaleighHeelsfan
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Get with your mates and vote the farmers out.  That is the only way to change the political dynamic in NC.  I have said for years NC is 20+ years behind when it comes to infrastructure.   Example, interstate access didn't connect to the states major port until the 80's, urban loop around the largest city when many cities had finished loops and began improving inter-metro connections, many interchanges are still under-built and some are still hanging around since the 60's.   Want to effect change, vote the farmers out and vote more cosmopolitan candidates in.  No need to sell out political beliefs to be cosmopolitan.  

What NC has going against is a spread out population each node believes they deserve the same scraps from the table.  This is a holdover from the agricultural past.  IMO, Down East projects should be concentrated around wilmington and Greenville thats it.  Develop strong metros with plenty of jobs that way infrastructure money can be spent more efficiently.  As far as Raleigh, I would not finish 540 until 440 is completely overhauled which includes updated interchanges.  I will say that with Charlotte as well.  Finally, I Would be jumping up and down trying to stop NCDOT from trying to build a loop around WS.  Makes zero sense.  Why not build one complete loop around Gboro and WS sort of DFW setup.  Oh and why not complete a middle parkway across the state to Charlotte.  Wait that makes too much sense....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, you are 100% right about 440 in Raleigh. It is a total joke. Right around NC State, the flea market and I-40 exit...it reduces to two lanes for several miles. It is 2017!!! How have they not widened that? Yet 440 is 4 lane (with street lights I might add) from Cary (crossroads) to Apex. Makes NO sense.

About the 540 southern loop. Trust me, it needs built now. The traffic is worse in Southern Wake co than anywhere in the triangle except maybe the stretch on 40 to RTP and back. North Raleigh got a free loop while everyone else has to pay. Such BS.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:42 PM, NcSc74 said:

Get with your mates and vote the farmers out.  That is the only way to change the political dynamic in NC.  I have said for years NC is 20+ years behind when it comes to infrastructure.   Example, interstate access didn't connect to the states major port until the 80's, urban loop around the largest city when many cities had finished loops and began improving inter-metro connections, many interchanges are still under-built and some are still hanging around since the 60's.   Want to effect change, vote the farmers out and vote more cosmopolitan candidates in.  No need to sell out political beliefs to be cosmopolitan.  

What NC has going against is a spread out population each node believes they deserve the same scraps from the table.  This is a holdover from the agricultural past.  IMO, Down East projects should be concentrated around wilmington and Greenville thats it.  Develop strong metros with plenty of jobs that way infrastructure money can be spent more efficiently.  As far as Raleigh, I would not finish 540 until 440 is completely overhauled which includes updated interchanges.  I will say that with Charlotte as well.  Finally, I Would be jumping up and down trying to stop NCDOT from trying to build a loop around WS.  Makes zero sense.  Why not build one complete loop around Gboro and WS sort of DFW setup.  Oh and why not complete a middle parkway across the state to Charlotte.  Wait that makes too much sense....

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...