CSX line just north of Laurens Road: history/status?

mallguy

Does anyone have any info about the history or current status of the CSX rail line that parallels Laurens Road to its north and crosses Verdae, Woodruff and Haywood Roads?

When I was a kid ('70s and '80s), I remember that it was an active rail line, and there was a wooden trestle near Washington Street between downtown and Laurens Road.  It now seems pretty dead.

Do trains still operate on it?  Was this a former Clinchfield line?  Why hasn't a short line taken it over?

I don't see it becoming a passenger line; Greenville, and particularly that line, don't have the population density for that.

Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have any info about the history or current status of the CSX rail line that parallels Laurens Road to its north and crosses Verdae, Woodruff and Haywood Roads?

When I was a kid ('70s and '80s), I remember that it was an active rail line, and there was a wooden trestle near Washington Street between downtown and Laurens Road.  It now seems pretty dead.

Do trains still operate on it?  Was this a former Clinchfield line?  Why hasn't a short line taken it over?

I don't see it becoming a passenger line; Greenville, and particularly that line, don't have the population density for that.

Thanks.

My understanding is that the city plans to make it a bus rapid transit (BRT) line.  They envision it connecting several "hubs" along that path, such as CU-ICAR, Verdae, and downtown.  I believe the city owns all or most of the line now.  The last discussion I heard about this was several years ago though.

My understanding is that the city plans to make it a bus rapid transit (BRT) line.  They envision it connecting several "hubs" along that path, such as CU-ICAR, Verdae, and downtown.  I believe the city owns all or most of the line now.  The last discussion I heard about this was several years ago though.

The BRT idea is dead. The County owns the portion from Laurens to CUICAR. The City owns it to downtown. The rest from DT to TR is now part of SRT.

The other part of the trail of course (city and county) are planned extensions for SRT.

The BRT idea is dead. The County owns the portion from Laurens to CUICAR. The City owns it to downtown. The rest from DT to TR is now part of SRT.

The other part of the trail of course (city and county) are planned extensions for SRT.

I wasn't aware that the BRT proposal for the track between CU-ICAR and downtown is dead.  That's unfortunate.

Archived