Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

High traffic retail/restaurant: Target and a Cheesecake Factory, due to the visibility and land around it for parking.

Is the building to be sold as part of a sale-leaseback transaction (meaning the Greenville News would stay), or a pure sale (meaning the Greenville News would move)?

When this news first broke, it was a pure sale, but I don't think it included the printing facility, just the offices on Main.  The whole thing needs to go.  It could and should be a major mixed-use development, IMO.  That may require the entire property though.  

gman430, I don't think anything new broke.

This is a huge eyesore, and I'm excited about the idea of something else going there.  Whoever buys it will almost certainly want/need to tear it down and put something else there.  Good to hear that the city will demand something exceptional there.  It's a huge focal point downtown.

The formula will probably be the usual mixed-use concept, with height setback due to it being on Main Street.  I'm not sure another hotel would work at this point, but office space (nice new headquarters, anyone?) and maybe some residential space would work.  This is prime retail and restaurant space, for sure.

If Greenville County wants to move its offices downtown, and abandon County Square so something else can be built there, this seem to be a great opportunity for that as part of a larger development...

I agree with Mixed-use and spectacular, an Anchor/magnet that would attract more people downtown whether its to work, shop, or for entertainment.  I'd like to see someone open a high visibility cooking school downtown, not sure if that could be squeezed in but with all of our famous chefs and restaurateurs, its seems like a good fit.  I could see a cooking school attracting weekend visitors for short classes as well as students young and old from all over to the area. Would tie in nice with our gastronomy festivals such as Euphoria and FFG too.  It doesn't quite fit the "spectacular" descriptor though, oh well.  

It might be a better spot for a visitors center too come to think of it.

Edited by gvegascple

Not understanding all this energy being focused on replacing the News building. I'll defend this building, Landmark Tower and City Hall as eras of architecture that add to an urban fabric and should not be lost.

Why is the energy and focus not being placed on the VACANT lot just across the street?????

10 years from now, if some have their way, Greenville's downtown will be nothing but red brick buildings, all with a round element on the roof. LOL.

Not understanding all this energy being focused on replacing the News building. I'll defend this building, Landmark Tower and City Hall as eras of architecture that add to an urban fabric and should not be lost.

Why is the energy and focus not being placed on the VACANT lot just across the street?????

10 years from now, if some have their way, Greenville's downtown will be nothing but red brick buildings, all with a round element on the roof. LOL.

The vacant lot is not on the market.  The News building is too small to be the highest and best use for the site, IMO.   

Agreed.  The Greenville News building was built when downtown was lucky to get new construction.

In my view, a lot of architecture from the '50s-'70s did not age well and should be redone where possible.  Georgian, Neo-Renaissance, Neoclassical, etc. architectural styles are timeless. 1960s office boxes? Nope.

The vacant lot is not on the market.  The News building is too small to be the highest and best use for the site, IMO.   

LMAO!  :rofl:  :rofl:

So, so many empty lots and parking lots downtown, and suddenly the Greenville News building is not the "best use for the site".  Rich!

You's be's funny Vicky.  :good:

LMAO!  :rofl:  :rofl:

So, so many empty lots and parking lots downtown, and suddenly the Greenville News building is not the "best use for the site".  Rich!

You's be's funny Vicky.  :good:

Trolls gotta troll

The News building is basically a single-use dead zone.  The people working in the building don't even walk in the front door.  There is nothing for pedestrians  to do but walk past it.  I accept that the architectural style should be respected. But, given the proximity to the river, the park and the Peace Center, plus the considerable size of the site, there are infinitely better uses for it.  I'd wager that more than half of the office space is unused now.  

Edited by vicupstate
  • Like 1

Let's look at the evidence from some of the recent projects downtown:

• ONE (Main @ Washington) - Primarily glass and brown or beige brick and stone.
  • Hyatt Regency / NOMA Square - If you find brick on that property, please let us know.
  • 100 East - Dark grey brick and stucco.
  • RiverWalk - Tan brick
  • Peace Center - Eliminated and covered red bricks with lots of glass and grey stone.
  • 22 South Main Street - Grey stucco.
  • Liberty Square - recent renovations look great.
I could continue to list other projects that were built within the last decade (McBee Station, Carolina Ale House, The Fieldhouse, Wells Fargo Plaza, The Bookends, etc.), or other projects recently proposed (North Ridge, North Main at Stone Avenue, Aloft Hotel, etc.). Red brick is minimally implemented (if at all) in these structures.
  • Like 1

That building doesn't have nearly enough history to its name to justify leaving it there. Just because it's old, or from a certain period of architecture (a very sucky one at that), doesn't mean we must leave it there.

I can think of hundreds of better uses for that prime piece of property. Seriously.

Seriously Greenville, my point stands. Downtown is riddled with empty lots.....one just across the street from the Greenville News building. It would be smart for the city to push for development of those empty lots FIRST.

Many can call the Greenville News building sucky, but is a period that Greenville should try to preserve. Back in the 60's, people called classic architecture sucky and covered up the front of beautiful buildings with metal cladding.....all that cladding is being removed now. In the 80's, people found mid century modern "Brady Bunch" style homes sucky and tore many down. Those same homes now command a premium in most cities.

With the large windows on the Greenville News building, it could be incredible modern, urban style "loft" apartments.

But whatever, the local developers and city will do what they do, and we all now how "FABULOUS" local Greenville developers are (sarcasm), with Hughes being the exception.

Seriously Greenville, my point stands. Downtown is riddled with empty lots.....one just across the street from the Greenville News building. It would be smart for the city to push for development of those empty lots FIRST.

Many can call the Greenville News building sucky, but is a period that Greenville should try to preserve. Back in the 60's, people called classic architecture sucky and covered up the front of beautiful buildings with metal cladding.....all that cladding is being removed now. In the 80's, people found mid century modern "Brady Bunch" style homes sucky and tore many down. Those same homes now command a premium in most cities.

With the large windows on the Greenville News building, it could be incredible modern, urban style "loft" apartments.

But whatever, the local developers and city will do what they do, and we all now how "FABULOUS" local Greenville developers are (sarcasm), with Hughes being the exception.

I would certainly prefer that the empty lot across the street to be developed first, but that lot isn't for sale and as far as I know, no development is being planned there.  I don't know how the city would go about encouraging development there, but if you have any ideas, I'm all for it.

This thread deals with The Greenville News building, which is for sale.  I don't see why an empty lot across the street, which as I said, needs to be developed, should preclude us from discussing this building.  And since we are on the topic, I stated that I personally do not like it.  I don't have the knowledge of architecture that you and some others here have, but in my opinion it's an ugly building that does nothing for downtown.  Not only that, but it doesn't address the pedestrian well at all.  It is definitely a "walk on by" kind of building, much like any other building which is not built in an urban fashion.  It even has a freaking entrance to the underground parking building on Main Street, which is deplorable.  For such a prime location downtown, I think that's a waste.  But then again, I don't care for Brady Bunch style split-level homes either.

I must be a throwback to the 60's because I like the building; open up the front courtyard to the street and the tapered columns become visible.   The pure white is the worst part; a bit of smog and it's suddenly off-white.

It would be a good location for a visitor's center.

Agreed.