Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

I find the hotel to very interesting and I think it will be a nice addition to our city. It almost looks like a different building depending on where you are looking at it. The pedestrian path that leads from Main and Broad into the plaza has the potential to be really cool. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. 

AC Hotel

Big improvement. I especially like that the rooftop is now active space. Main street and the plaza both seem to have good pedestrian interaction.  

32 Broad St. office building

Not radically different but plaza seems to be changing significantly. 

Hotel looks some better, but it still looks like garbage compared to the Spartanburg hotel. It just doesn't have much presence or impact... it says "just good enough."

Slide 8 (link 2) shows the "impact" of the architecture of the proposed project (again, GREAT project, terrible architecture). Why does it have to be so flat and boxy??? No imagination, creativity, or bold concepts. Just plain boxy low-mid rise infill. The city gets one chance here folks...

Edited by distortedlogic

Thanks for feedback!  Wondering now...there's more height with the office/condo tower (according to rendering)...is it too tall for the area? I was hoping hotel would be 10 floors. I think the area will be exciting to visit when all is completed! I am old enough to remember the old news building with the big clock!

Edited by cabelagent

While I agree that the hotel looks a lot better, I'm not a huge fan of metal siding. I'm still not impressed with the fairly random assortment of materials even if they're better. I realize what their architectural 'inspirations' were... but it feels a little forced to me. Some of this is more of a general critique of contemporary commercial architecture. I'd day as contemporary architecture goes, it's above average - but you can put me in the camp of this design not being worthy of being located where it is.

A few things that concern me about this project: The enclosed plaza, with one large unbroken mass of building on the back side, I am just not sure about the feel of the plaza. I don't see anyway to get to the river from the plaza? The project needs some way to get to Falls Park. A set of grand steps like the Peace Center would be great.  The project does not extended the city off of  Main Street, there is no way to connect with the land  ( future development) behind the old Bowater  building. I just don't think the project is very Intergated into the city, at this point.

Thanks for the update.  Is Stadium 105 APARTMENTS or 70 CONDOS?  There still seems to be some disagreement on what the plan is currently. 

Must be apartments. Otherwise I would think they would have had design changes and thus a new application for approval? it's unfortunate that they couldn't make it a more attractive and industrial-inspired design. Hopefully it doesn't hurt the sales for Traverse on Markley. 

Everything got approved last night from Camperdown to Stadium

Something doesn't add up to me. They turned down the previous proposal for the hotel because it didn't fit what they were looking for, but they approve the redesign that is the exact same building with a few more frills on the siding? If this were a whole different design it would make sense, but it is basically the same size, shape, design, type of architecture, etc, with just a few tweaks to the exterior. :wacko: