Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

I'm not crazy about the actual design, but I think the massing and layout manages the site pretty well. There's lots of points for ground level engagement that they've addressed. Thumbs up on that! I am at least happy to see that it's not brick. 

I guarantee we'll see comments about the visual impacts on Falls Park. 

I like the design...it's crisp/unique and presents an overall appealing structure on South Main. I am pleased as well with the lack of brick. If there are plans for adding some strategic lighting...the structure will look awesome at night. What are the 'ledge-like' additions on the sides (approx. 6th floors)? They must have a purpose...curious what it is.  The entire Camperdown development is awesome....very attractive for South Main/Falls Park area. Downtown has really changed...many of the new structures are pleasing to the eye  (still do not like big white box on Rhett St.).  I remember downtown of the 60s-80s so well.

Edited by cabelagent

34 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Office building portion is smaller than originally proposed. Use to be longer. 

Also didn't realize they were planning a street from Main to Falls. 

Smaller? It’s five stories taller than originally proposed.  Or do you mean width (horizontal) wise?

Edited by gman430

28 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Smaller? It’s five stories taller than originally proposed.  Or do you mean width (horizontal) wise?

Well it would be the length technically. The building use to extend closer to the apartment building. 

But, yes, you are right. Look like they made up the space by going about another few stories in height. 

Edited by ausrutherford

14 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

I like it and do you guys see a faint see through pedestrian bridge or something on page 9? Coming off the side? Maybe they are just connecting with the existing parking garage for the Bowater building or maybe they are future proofing for more development. 

Page 16 shows "Future bridge to existing parking garage". Seems like an odd addition and seems more like what you mentioned about potential future development. 

9 minutes ago, Gville2012 said:

Page 16 shows "Future bridge to existing parking garage". Seems like an odd addition and seems more like what you mentioned about potential future development. 

It has to be to the Bowater garage. CAP owns it now, The city owns that land between the Main St. bridge and the garage or soon will.  

The building use to extend closer to the apartment building. 

I think that is a separate one story building that will be submitted later I assume. 

On 10/18/2017 at 4:56 PM, GvilleSC said:

I'm not crazy about the actual design, but I think the massing and layout manages the site pretty well. There's lots of points for ground level engagement that they've addressed. Thumbs up on that! I am at least happy to see that it's not brick. 

I guarantee we'll see comments about the visual impacts on Falls Park. 

This new office rendering is an improvement to the original "placeholder" design in several earlier renderings.  It is far from iconic, but at least it is not a blatant eyesore.  Unfortunately, the overall design and style of the development fails to meet the highest potential of such a prominent site.  For example, the complete absence of storefronts along Falls Street is cringe-worthy, not to mention the garage facade resembles a prison -- and this is less than a block off of Main Street.

I mostly agree, it's tolerable and much better than some of the other architecture going up but it doesn't look like it took much creative thought and doesn't step up the game here. Glad to see less brick but looks like a smaller box stacked oddly on a larger box. I see some of the buildings going up in sister cities and its hard to understand why ours are always so bland and uninspired.

11 hours ago, Skyliner said:

This new office rendering is an improvement to the original "placeholder" design in several earlier renderings.  It is far from iconic, but at least it is not a blatant eyesore.  Unfortunately, the overall design and style of the development fails to meet the highest potential of such a prominent site.  For example, the complete absence of storefronts along Falls Street is cringe-worthy, not to mention the garage facade resembles a prison -- and this is less than a block off of Main Street.

I agree... at some point the large old post office site across Falls Street will be a prominent redevelopment opportunity and could be another draw off of Main Street... with Falls Street linking both developments to the new Bohemian hotel and leading to the park. Missed opportunity for Greenville, but obviously the developer is more worried about their development than the future of Greenville, which I guess you cant fault them for.

Is there anything in place that the design review board could do to force store fronts, or is that only on Main Street?

2 hours ago, Gville2012 said:

I agree... at some point the large old post office site across Falls Street will be a prominent redevelopment opportunity and could be another draw off of Main Street... with Falls Street linking both developments to the new Bohemian hotel and leading to the park. Missed opportunity for Greenville, but obviously the developer is more worried about their development than the future of Greenville, which I guess you cant fault them for.

Is there anything in place that the design review board could do to force store fronts, or is that only on Main Street?

I have to assume that the developer scoped out the cost-benefit of retail on that side and determined that it wasn't worth the investment at this time.

Until that post office is replaced with something that will bring people over there (a convention facility, perhaps??), there's no real attraction to that side of the development. In other cities, I've occasionally seen retail built out at street level in existing parking facilities. Maybe when the time comes the same thing can be done on the Falls Street side of Camperdown.

3 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Comments are now posted online: http://sc-greenville.civicplus.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/4465?fileID=17442

There's concerns over the massing, more brick, and some other revisions to be considered.  It'll be interesting to see how this is revised.

As in they want more brick or they want less brick?

3 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

As in they want more brick or they want less brick?

The DRB wants the building to have brick up to the fifth level. They also want the building to have a 20 foot setback beginning from there. The first four floors would be up against the street. I actually really like this idea by the DRB as it will make the building skinnier which in turn will make it look taller. :) 

262A8291-A84E-42FF-BB4B-4499E2E800B9.jpeg

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

The DRB wants the building to have brick up to the fifth level. They also want the building to have a 20 foot setback beginning from there. The first four floors would be up against the street. I actually really like this idea by the DRB as it will make the building skinnier which in turn will make it look taller. :) 

262A8291-A84E-42FF-BB4B-4499E2E800B9.jpeg

One potential downside to the city's recommendations is that the developer may revert to the original design, a shorter and wider office building, which would look worse, in part because the bland recessed condominiums stacked on top would seem more like a secondary afterthought than a well-integrated part of the building.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gman430 said:

I like this version much better actually. Loving how the building ‘falls’ toward Main Street when looking at it from the side elevations. 

Looking forward to this getting built; the activity on site is already starting to get very busy!

• 2 weeks later...