Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

Some good news I just received:

According to the city and contractor (B&G), the tower crane was only to be used for the parking garage portion (first three floors) of the apartment building. Now that this portion is complete, they took it down. A new different tower crane will go up in the future for the apartments. The entire project is still moving forward. :thumbsup: Whew. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Some good news I just received:

According to the city and contractor (B&G), the tower crane was only to be used for the parking garage portion (first three floors) of the apartment building. Now that this portion is complete, they took it down. A new different tower crane will go up in the future for the apartments. The entire project is still moving forward. :thumbsup: Whew. 

Thanks gman....that is great news! I was about to blame Lindsey Graham or somebody for it falling through....

16 minutes ago, SVL said:

So I'm hearing this crane was taken down so a new taller crane could be installed.  Anyone else hearing this?  The office building is supposed to be taller than originally planned, right?  

Yes to both questions. A new taller crane has to be installed for the office building either way as this one was too short on both the vertical height and horizontal boom length. Same goes for the hotel at least when it comes to the horizontal boom length. 

Edited by gman430

15 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Yes to both questions. A new taller crane has to be installed for the office building either way as this one was too short on both the vertical height and horizontal boom length. Same goes for the hotel at least when it comes to the horizontal boom length. 

Cool. So, do you think multiple cranes will be installed here?  Seems likely...

Hmmmm..... if this is the case, why did it take so long to take the crane down? Anytime someone uses the word "future" i.e.: "a new one will go up in the future I immediately get skeptical. If this is indeed moving forward quickly, why didn't they say in 2 weeks or next month, the use of the word future is not good IMHO. The future could mean anything and makes me think this project has stalled. IF the crane was only put up for the first 3 floors, then why was it so high for only 3 floors? Maybe I am be overly skeptical due to all the past failures. This would be an absolute disaster for downtown if this project stall/fails. Hope I am totally wrong.

Edited by apaladin

3 hours ago, btoy said:

There is still working going on at the site everyday, as long as that it the case you guys need to calm down and stop worrying.

Indeed including today even. I contacted CAP and they told me the project is not stalled and is still moving forward. 

• Like 1

Went by several construction sites today.  Nothing going on at Camperdown at all. Still some equipment on site but not being used, saw 2 workers. Hotel at Fluor Field also featured no activity. No workers on site. Hotel on Washington was booming, lots of workers, trucks and equipment. Have to wonder about Camperdown and the hotel at FF. Hoping these are just delays, lulls and not stoppages. 

27 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Went by several construction sites today.  Nothing going on at Camperdown at all. Still some equipment on site but not being used, saw 2 workers. Hotel at Fluor Field also featured no activity. No workers on site. Hotel on Washington was booming, lots of workers, trucks and equipment. Have to wonder about Camperdown and the hotel at FF. Hoping these are just delays, lulls and not stoppages. 

Saw workers at Fluor Field hotel yesterday when I drove by at 4pm erecting steel for the third floor and there are workers on the Camperdown site right now from looking at the webcam. Notice the yellow boom crane. Lol. Chill out. None of the projects are on hold. 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jet-set said:

SO much time is spent waiting on inspectors also.

I'd love to see some verticalization but with the nature and scale of this project I do wonder how long that will take.

Completion is slated for late 2019 so we still almost have two full years before it’s fully built out. 

50 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Was at the Peace Center across the street from the Camperdown site Saturday afternoon. No work on a nice day. Still think taking the crane down is a bad sign. Hope I am wrong.

There were workers on site Saturday morning. Go back to yesterday morning on the webcam and you will see this. And if it was on hold, Brasfield & Gorrie would have pulled all of the equipment off site. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

Was at the Peace Center across the street from the Camperdown site Saturday afternoon. No work on a nice day. Still think taking the crane down is a bad sign. Hope I am wrong.

I am hearing that two new investors have bought this project over. Their names are Bob Ellis and Grant Peacock. "This is a major project and will not be a quick build", they are quoted as saying, "but we are hopeful any delays are temporary"

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

I am hearing that two new investors have bought this project over. Their names are Bob Ellis and Grant Peacock. "This is a major project and will not be a quick build", they are quoted as saying, "but we are hopeful any delays are temporary"

Any white trucks on site? :lol:

I was right about the crane: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/asklafleur/2018/02/05/camperdown-project-greenville-sc/1074124001/ This should calm any nerves or doubts people had. 

“The portion of the project that required use of a crane has now been completed," said Meg Burton, communications manager (Brasfield & Gorrie) for the company.

Burton directed any further questions related to the project to Centennial American Properties.

Centennial American Properties is the master developer of the entire Camperdown project. This means Centennial American Properties is in charge of the entire development, according to Rebecca Gault, a representative for the company.

As for the change in cranes, "We are transitioning from cast in place construction to precast construction," Gault said. "The two constructions types require different types of cranes."

Because each building requires its own crane, :yahoo: Gault said the coordination in the type, height, radiuses and location of the cranes is vitally important.

According to Centennial American Properties, during the next stage of construction we can expect to see additional work on the garage. Once complete, construction on the large building will begin. Each building will start at different times, but by late summer, Centennial American Properties expects the office, apartment and hotel will be coming out of the ground. 

The project has not run into any delays at this point and the entire development is expected to be complete by late fall 2019. 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

EE28BFF1-5280-4870-A7A5-C521B987D1D0.jpeg

Check out the change in density from the top of this pic to  the bottom! I know that just out  of frame at the bottom are the Erwin Penland stuff and there is some densification going on but this particular pic really shows the difference. It would be nice to have that kind of density all the way to the Church St. Bridge. Hopefully all the parking lots will be developed soon. 

• Like 1