Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

AC hotel: http://sc-greenville.civicplus.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/4710?fileID=19121

**waits patiently for somebody to complain that it’s not tall enough, too boxy, has boring/ugly colors, and is not as good as the one in Spartanburg** :whistling: 

Don't have to; you already said everything that needs to be said!

Won’t make you wait too long gman:
Spartanburg’s AC is 100,000 times better. 
However, I do like the design and think they could’ve done much worse. 
In all fairness, I wouldn't trade what's going on in Spartanburg for what's going on in Greenville. Projects everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

18 hours ago, gman430 said:

AC hotel: http://sc-greenville.civicplus.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/4710?fileID=19121

**waits patiently for somebody to complain that it’s not tall enough, too boxy, has boring/ugly colors, and is not as good as the one in Spartanburg** :whistling: 

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Take the dated looking style of the old Greenville News building, which was once considered modern and trendy, and trade it for the new trendy and soon to be dated style of everything being built today.  In another 20 years, people will be looking at it and wanting to get rid of that outdated eyesore.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sc smitty said:

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Take the dated looking style of the old Greenville News building, which was once considered modern and trendy, and trade it for the new trendy and soon to be dated style of everything being built today.  In another 20 years, people will be looking at it and wanting to get rid of that outdated eyesore.  

Or they’ll just re-clad it with brick. jfc

17 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

The only thing I take issue with is how terrible the side that faces the plaza looks. It's flat and boring-- too much stucco.

If I could only change one thing with this redesign, it would be this. Needs more glass, brick, or something to break it up. Pretty funny though how the office building proposed for BridgeWay Station looks better than any building proposed for Camperdown. 

Edited by gman430

42 minutes ago, sc smitty said:

Exactly!  Precisely why time-tested architecture should be used.  I haven't seen the Spartanburg AC in person yet but the photos of it look great, and it looks like a building that will be considered beautiful in 100 years, too.

19 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Exactly!  Precisely why time-tested architecture should be used.  I haven't seen the Spartanburg AC in person yet but the photos of it look great, and it looks like a building that will be considered beautiful in 100 years, too.

I mean, I guess there ARE people who like downtown Disney with all of its false construction. It's not for me.

13 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

I mean, I guess there ARE people who like downtown Disney with all of its false construction. It's not for me.

There isn't anything that is false about designing a building with quality materials, good proportions and detailing.  Buildings have been using elements of classical Greek architecture for thousands of years.  Does this make them fake?  A building can use time tested examples of good proportion and design, and take elements of the past and reinterpret them  to create something modern and of it's time without recreating an exact replica of the past. 

On 2/15/2018 at 11:55 AM, gman430 said:

Didn’t notice this until now but the revised design also includes more height along Main Street due to additional guest rooms being added. 

Also facade changes including elimination of windows and changing some materials to stucco, leaving more flat, empty walls compared to the old design. The south facade looked better before as viewed coming up Main St from the river.

Old design:

636372968059198242-AC.MainStNorthRenderi

Proposed design:

636543960304288184-new-hotel-from-origin

19 minutes ago, sc smitty said:

Also facade changes including elimination of windows and changing some materials to stucco, leaving more flat, empty walls compared to the old design. The south facade looked better before as viewed coming up Main St from the river.

Homewood Suites redux.

Propose something striking (although I wasn't crazy about the first iteration of the AC design) as a first offer, aiming for something about half way between highway hotel village and downtown elegant (but closer to highway hotel village).

Or so it seems to me. I would think the DRB would be more protective of a site across the street from the Peace Center and just up from the Falls. Imagine a design on par with the Spartanburg AC on that site.

53 minutes ago, sc smitty said:

Old design:

636372968059198242-AC.MainStNorthRenderi

Proposed design:

636543960304288184-new-hotel-from-origin

This shows a pretty stark contrast. Hopefully the DRB has some weight to throw around here. This needs to be good. 

57 minutes ago, apaladin said:

So no tower crane? Can this crane reach that high since it will be at least 14 stories counting the garage. 

I think you’re confused. This crane is ONLY for the parking garage which is three stories tall. Three separate tower cranes will be installed for the office, hotel, and apartment buildings once the parking garage panel installation is complete and the boom crane removed. 

Edited by gman430