Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

Guess I'll be the odd one out again. I wasn't too keen on the earlier version but this new one seems, boxier, brickier, and plainer. I do like the ground level features of this one better, buy there was way more detail and variety in the earlier one. For example, I much prefer the multi-tone gray bricks on the end to the current all brown with "x" s. This just seems to be a downgrade in most aspects, looks cheaper and less character; again not that the earlier was great either.

22 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Guess I'll be the odd one out again. I wasn't too keen on the earlier version but this new one seems, boxier, brickier, and plainer. I do like the ground level features of this one better, buy there was way more detail and variety in the earlier one. For example, I much prefer the multi-tone gray bricks on the end to the current all brown with "x" s. This just seems to be a downgrade in most aspects, looks cheaper and less character; again not that the earlier was great either.

LOL...you should perhaps consider following another website.  You seem to become dismayed, disappointed, unhappy, etc. viewing depictions of future structures for downtown Greenville.  It's not healthy and ages you quickly....    :)

Edited by cabelagent

15 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Haters gonna hate. Move to Charlotte if you don’t like it. :thumbsup:

:P THAT'S original, took awhile to come up with that did it? 

Not about hate, as I've said before, I just like to see a little more creativity, variety, and forethought into some of these. Some modern boxes are understandable and fine but I would like to see less of those than we are. I don't think 90% of these new developments need be 6-8 story boxes. :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

:P THAT'S original, took awhile to come up with that did it? 

Not about hate, as I've said before, I just like to see a little more creativity, variety, and forethought into some of these. Some modern boxes are understandable and fine but I would like to see less of those than we are. I don't think 90% of these new developments need be 6-8 story boxes. :thumbsup:

This is taller than 6-8 stories isn't it? Also, modern seems to be what the powers that be are going for. It is what it is. I'm just glad it's growing like this.

3 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

This is taller than 6-8 stories isn't it? Also, modern seems to be what the powers that be are going for. It is what it is. I'm just glad it's growing like this.

Modern may be what the powers that be want, but it's fine for people to have opinions about it.  And I personally think you can do a general modern look, but still have more creativity and variety; architecturally, aesthetically, and even heightwise. 

BTW, check out some of the comments on the BB&T rendering article, a lot of those posters aren't happy with some of the new architecture, it's not just me. 

And for the record, I love that we're growing as well, with some great projects too! As I've said before, I just want to see some great architecture with our great projects!:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

Modern may be what the powers that be want, but it's fine for people to have opinions about it.  And I personally think you can do a general modern look, but still have more creativity and variety; architecturally, aesthetically, and even heightwise. 

BTW, check out some of the comments on the BB&T rendering article, a lot of those posters aren't happy with some of the new architecture, it's not just me. 

And for the record, I love that we're growing as well, with some great projects too! As I've said before, I just want to see some great architecture with our great projects!:thumbsup:

Yep. It is what it is. I like most of the stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Thx...good, should be a prime location for a successful restaurant. I hope there will also be a big Chic-Fil-A in the area :) 

Edited by cabelagent

GvilleSC will be happy with this. 

The new materials and elimination of windows on the North elevation facing Broad Street were the main points of discussion, with the three panelists unanimously recommending the proposed stucco elements be returned to the previously approved metal panels.

“I don’t think that the stucco simplifies the building,” panelist Danielle Fontaine said. “Most important corner in Greenville, and it deserves in materials to be treated as such. I believe it deserves better material than stucco.”

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/front-row-april-design-review-board-urban-panel/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

GvilleSC will be happy with this. 

The new materials and elimination of windows on the North elevation facing Broad Street were the main points of discussion, with the three panelists unanimously recommending the proposed stucco elements be returned to the previously approved metal panels.

“I don’t think that the stucco simplifies the building,” panelist Danielle Fontaine said. “Most important corner in Greenville, and it deserves in materials to be treated as such. I believe it deserves better material than stucco.”

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/front-row-april-design-review-board-urban-panel/

Bravo, Danielle! Thanks for the shoutout, gman!