Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

11 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

Wow....this appears different with each rendering available. This one must be OK as it's from the developer (Centennial American).

Yeah it's  definitely  changing a little  each time. Overall,  looking a little more Plain Jane and boxy,  losing some of the finer details and character points. The concrete bays on the top side of the upper box almost giving a brutalist nod to the old gnews building. Need to go ahead and get this one up as the tinkering seems to be going in the wrong direction. :whistling::P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Yeah it's  definitely  changing a little  each time. Overall,  looking a little more Plain Jane and boxy,  losing some of the finer details and character points. The concrete bays on the top side of the upper box almost giving a brutalist nod to the old gnews building. Need to go ahead and get this one up as the tinkering seems to be going in the wrong direction. :whistling::P

I feel like it's missing something. The white on the top two thirds just doesn't seem right. Seems incomplete. Wish they would get a little more creative with the design. Especially since this will be what everyone sees from Falls Park. 

9 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I wasn’t crazy about the brick when it was first added, but I had not seen this angle. What I DO appreciate about the way the brick has been done, is that it gives the impression of an existing warehouse-like building at the base. 

Wasn't Camperdown Mill white brick? Maybe that's the idea.

Interesting window-washer-platform feature 2/3 of the way up the bottom portion (that's the first thing I thought when I noticed it).

On 11/9/2018 at 2:49 PM, Den2Gvl said:

I feel like it's missing something. The white on the top two thirds just doesn't seem right. Seems incomplete. Wish they would get a little more creative with the design. Especially since this will be what everyone sees from Falls Park. 

Yes. Really what I would like for some of these new buildings downtown is a different paradigm. Not everything has to be boxes and rectangles. "Fitting in with the surrounding area" doesn't mean everything needs to look exactly alike. Here are a few quick examples of some regional buildings about this size that would look way better in my opinion. 

Lincoln building in Greensboro 

th?id=OIP.7oJvKUoXZuEelXROeQBgLAHaJ4&w=161&h=201&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

Meridian in Cola

meridian%20from%20cap%20ctr.jpg

BOA in Cola

th?id=OIP.w3Woa1VS2aqEAezxY9lC-QHaLK&w=143&h=216&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

Wells Fargo in Roanoke 

See the source image

If it has to be more modern something like this would suffice: 

See the source image

or even this

th?id=OIP.SuKn1MVSuG2yVLbFyjAx3AHaGx&w=219&h=200&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

There are tons of examples. I'm just not sure why so many of these have to be so boxy, bland, and uninspired. It doesn't have to be anything world changing or awe -inspiring, just something a little different from what we have, something to add a little different flavor. 

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Thanks for a new vantage point of the construction! 

I wonder how the rental rates for these apartments will compare to other units downtown?  The location is prime and it's not wood framed, so I would think that it would be substantial. 

Doubt they last long as apartments. They will be turned into condos within 10 years. Mark my words...

• 2 weeks later...