Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

I noticed that signs are up saying Falls St. will be closed July 9-13th. Maybe this is so they can construct the crane?

I imagine so as the underground power and water lines have already been redone for the development. That’s why Falls Street was closed for a while there last year. I could always be wrong though. 

Edited by gman430

15 hours ago, apaladin said:

I noticed that signs are up saying Falls St. will be closed July 9-13th. Maybe this is so they can construct the crane?

Drove down Falls Street and it looks like the sign is up for the Residence Inn/Springhill Suites project not Camperdown. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Drove down Falls Street and it looks like the sign is up for the Residence Inn/Springhill Suites project not Camperdown. 

Residence Inn/Springhill Suites is on Spring Street though. Falls Street turns into Spring Street at Broad I believe. So I would think this closure would be related to Camperdown. :dontknow:

1 hour ago, SVL said:

Residence Inn/Springhill Suites is on Spring Street though. Falls Street turns into Spring Street at Broad I believe. So I would think this closure would be related to Camperdown. :dontknow:

Good point. Just seems like an odd location for the sign if it’s at Camperdown. If it is for that, it’s probably just to repave the road. It doesn’t take a week to install a tower crane and one can’t be installed without a concrete foundation in place first. 

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Good point. Just seems like an odd location for the sign if it’s at Camperdown. If it is for that, it’s probably just to repave the road. It doesn’t take a week to install a tower crane and one can’t be installed without a concrete foundation in place first. 

I have the impression and now assume that structures in the project will be erected one at a time...apartment, hotel, and then office/condo tower.  Does not appear to be sufficient room for all to be erected (with tower cranes, materials, equipment, etc.) at the same time in the  crowded construction arena. Is this a correct assumption?  

1 hour ago, cabelagent said:

I have the impression and now assume that structures in the project will be erected one at a time...apartment, hotel, and then office/condo tower.  Does not appear to be sufficient room for all to be erected (with tower cranes, materials, equipment, etc.) at the same time in the  crowded construction arena. Is this a correct assumption?  

Not quite. There is enough room on site for three cranes at once due to each of them having different horizontal boom heights. :tough: This is due to the buildings having separate heights. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Not quite. There is enough room on site for three cranes at once due to each of them having different horizontal boom heights. :tough: This is due to the buildings having separate heights. 

True- no different than this project in McLean, VA. (Which actually has a third crane in this hole now)9B063BC6-1ABF-4480-BDC4-13A3D2F62366.thumb.jpeg.65dc8dd5fb680696c227d6077429f21a.jpeg

The news everyone has been waiting for:

Falls Street, from E Broad Street to Japanese Dogwood

Monday, July 9, 2018

Falls Street closure to allow for crane setup at the Camperdown Apartment project. If the work is completed sooner than anticipated, Falls Street will re-open early.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/Calendar.aspx?EID=6190&month=7&year=2018&day=9&calType=0

On 7/2/2018 at 12:44 PM, SVL said:

The news everyone has been waiting for:

Falls Street, from E Broad Street to Japanese Dogwood

Monday, July 9, 2018

Falls Street closure to allow for crane setup at the Camperdown Apartment project. If the work is completed sooner than anticipated, Falls Street will re-open early.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/Calendar.aspx?EID=6190&month=7&year=2018&day=9&calType=0

On 7/2/2018 at 1:31 PM, gman430 said:

Excellent. Glad to see I was wrong. 

Curious...was (or has) a concrete foundation been setup for the crane?  Pics would be appreciated for location (know you will :tw_smile:)

1 hour ago, cabelagent said:

Curious...was (or has) a concrete foundation been setup for the crane?  Pics would be appreciated for location (know you will :tw_smile:)

One has to be. My guess is that it’s inside that large hole in the garage where the previous tower crane was located. Those concrete crane foundations take a month or so to cure and settle before the rest of the crane can be constructed. I’ll fly my drone over the site tomorrow and see. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

I don’t think there’s going to be any movement on the hotel piece until Auro’s Residence inn down the street opens for business.... unless someone with more time on their hands wants to see if they close on the property and construction loan before that

43 minutes ago, Spero said:

I don’t think there’s going to be any movement on the hotel piece until Auro’s Residence inn down the street opens for business.... unless someone with more time on their hands wants to see if they close on the property and construction loan before that

It starts construction in August or early September. That’s why the garage is being closed off on that side of the site as you can see in the above aerial pics. Auro is a large enough company that they can handle more than one hotel project under construction at a time.