Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

2 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Cool deal! So there will be three cranes on this one site? Why is the condo crane still up?

Not quite. The plan is to move the current crane at the apartment building site to the office/condo site. They’re not done having to lift material to the roof which is why the crane is still up. 

2 hours ago, greenvilleguy said:

Does anyone have an idea when they will announce other retail/restaurant tenants?  I thought we would have heard something by now.

I was thinking the same.  I am hoping that this is a site for some more national chain destination retailers, especially large ones (enough gift shops!), but who knows.

33 minutes ago, GVLover said:

What is happening?

Official groundbreaking of hotel. Looks like it will have a restaurant and bar very similar to the Oak & Honey one at the Residence Inn/Springhill Suites. Oh and it’s still stalled: 

C13-B2-D9-E-4-E27-46-BA-859-F-811-A41-BA

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, btoy said:

Since that article has a pay wall why don't you give us a bit of a summary.

The hotel planned for the former Greenville News spot in the heart of downtown will have five unique dining concepts that the project's developers say collectively will bring something entirely new to Greenville. 

The AC Hotel by Marriott will include restaurants and bars inspired by larger cities but rooted in Greenville’s charm, said D.J. Rama, President and CEO of Auro Hotels, who is developing the hotel.

That dynamic approach will flow through everything from menu to design, Rama said.

Previously, Auro and the Camperdown project’s developer, Centennial American Properties, had discussed the food and dining concepts as possibilities. On Tuesday, Rama and Centennial president Brody Glenn confirmed details, stopping just shy of stating definitive names of restaurants.

Each dining concept will have its own operator and will be fully accessible by the public, Rama said. On the bottom level of the hotel will be a tapas bar-inspired restaurant, on the second floor will be a speakeasy bar.

Atop the hotel’s 16,000-square-foot rooftop will be three to four unique experiences and food and beverage operations. Auro has enlisted a design firm that did Atlanta’s popular Ponce City Market to do the rooftop, Rama said.

Edited by gman430

10 hours ago, apaladin said:

It's pretty pitiful looking if you ask me. Hate the spider leg looking thingy's on top. Barely 7 stories. Should have been 10-12. Barely taller than the G-News building. Looks just like all the other mid-rise hotels downtown. :tw_confused:

I don't disagree with you on aesthetic details, but on what basis do you claim it should be 10-12 stories? Why not 20? 30?

It's not 10-12 for the same reason its not 20 or 30 stories. The developers have done their assessment of the market and this is the risk they're willing to take. Their skin in the game.

And as for me, I like all the mid-rise buildings going up. Gives downtown a more European flavor. May Greenville never go the way of ATL or CLT.

Edited by Exile
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, apaladin said:

It's pretty pitiful looking if you ask me. Hate the spider leg looking thingy's on top. Barely 7 stories. Should have been 10-12. Barely taller than the G-News building. Looks just like all the other mid-rise hotels downtown. :tw_confused:

Agreed, and the neon lights aren't my favorites either.

They need to start over.

5 hours ago, Exile said:

I don't disagree with you on aesthetic details, but on what basis do you claim it should be 10-12 stories? Why not 20? 30?

It's not 10-12 for the same reason its not 20 or 30 stories. The developers have done their assessment of the market and this is the risk they're willing to take. Their skin in the game.

And as for me, I like all the mid-rise buildings going up. Gives downtown a more European flavor. May Greenville never go the way of ATL or CLT.

This is a good post. There is height in this development. The apartments and office buildings have height. Everything doesn't have to be tall. And you're absolutely right again that it's their money in the game.

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Agreed, and the neon lights aren't my favorites either.

They need to start over.

No starting over. This has broken ground. I'm okay with it. Everyone isn't going to like everything going on.

• Like 3

Nice, but they need to update their delivery date. Ist quarter 2020 we all know is not happening. Maybe 1st quarter of 2021 but that is a long shot. 2022 seems more probable and that is only if they get started by the end of summer. They could start losing leases if this delivery date is indeed off by 2 years. You would think some of these are not waiting 3 years from now to open up which is the likely scenario. 

Edited by apaladin

3 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Nice, but they need to update their delivery date. Ist quarter 2020 we all know is not happening. Maybe 1st quarter of 2021 but that is a long shot. 2022 seems more probable and that is only if they get started by the end of summer. They could start losing leases if this delivery date is indeed off by 2 years. 

1st quarter is probably the first component opening of phase II? There's no reason to think that the apartment building couldn't be finished by then.