Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

17 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

We're getting way off-topic here, but what's actually quite interesting is this: when comparing the three counties that you consider peers in South Carolina, look at the income and poverty levels. Richland's numbers are jarring, but their concentration of office jobs is arguably higher than other portions of the state. 

Charleston County:

Bachelor's Degree over age 25: 41.9%

Median Income: $57,882

Poverty:  13.3%

Richland County:

Bachelor's Degree over age 25: 37.7%

Median Income: $52,082

Poverty:  16.9%

Greenville County:

Bachelor's Degree over age 25: 33.3%

Median Income: $53,739

Poverty:  12.4%

I'm pretty sure this is manufacturing related.  You can definitely earn a solid income in a manufacturing career with good experience, but no formal degree.  I'm not sure in the difference in amount of manufacturing jobs between here and Richland, but I know we are completely saturated with opportunity up here.  Greenville is one of the strongest manufacturing regions in the country.

• 4 weeks later...

Dang!

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2019/06/28/condos-downtown-falls-tower-sells-16-million-dollar-worth-one-day-downtown-greenville-sc/1593636001/

10 condos totaling $16MM sold in one day!  Where are these people getting this money from? !:shok: Guess the demand for high end housing is till there. 

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Maybe it will prompt Hughes to build his new tallest concept! :wub:

Until the DRB shoots it down. :lol: It’s too tall, it’s not brick, it has a helicopter pad, doesn’t have a round thing on the front of the building, etc. :fun: 

Edited by gman430

4 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Until the DRB shoots it down. :lol: It’s too tall, it’s not brick, it has a helicopter pad, doesn’t have a round thing on the front of the building, etc. :fun: 

:lol: Don't forget  "It doesn't fit in with the neighborhood, needs to be more reflective of Greenville's past, doesn't fit the scale of downtown, and we don't want to lose the quaintness of downtown." 

We all know they don't like anthing that isn't an 8 story box. :rolleyes:

^^^ Not valid criticisms, IMO.  I don't recall them having any problems with the height. The project was submitted separately for each component. Therefore it was on the agenda often. The developer also made chanegs after getting an approval. That is not on the Board. They kept him to a high standard, IMO.    

I can't think of one building they said was too tall.  

28 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

^^^ Not valid criticisms, IMO.  I don't recall them having any problems with the height. The project was submitted separately for each component. Therefore it was on the agenda often. The developer also made chanegs after getting an approval. That is not on the Board. They kept him to a high standard, IMO.    

Did the proposed Hughes building go to the DRB? 

Edited by GVLover

35 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

I think you are getting mixed up- we are joking about the concept for the new state tallest that came out from Hughes a few months ago, just conceptual apparently; not any part of camperdown. We're just poking a little fun at the DRB about how they critique and comment on different designs. 

Edited by distortedlogic

10 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Dang!

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2019/06/28/condos-downtown-falls-tower-sells-16-million-dollar-worth-one-day-downtown-greenville-sc/1593636001/

10 condos totaling $16MM sold in one day!  Where are these people getting this money from? !:shok: Guess the demand for high end housing is till there. 

If this is like the RiverPlace residential condos, then it may be real estate investors with plenty of financial capital.

23 hours ago, gman430 said:

TEN units sold in ONE day!?!?!? Holy moly. :blink::shok: Any chance the height of the building might get increased with more units added? :D 

Instead of more floors, bring back the Court Street Tower (minus the plaza encroachment).

Or do both.

I would hate to have purchased what I thought was going to be the top floor unit and then find out more floors are going above me.  Besides, adding floors would probably delay the project by months. These homeowners probably have been given a projected date to have their units ready. No, I don't think more floors will be added, even if the project sold out in a day. 

Edited by gman

49 minutes ago, gman said:

I would hate to have purchased what I thought was going to be the top floor unit and then find out more floors are going above me.  Besides, adding floors would probably delay the project by months. These homeowners probably have been given a projected date to have their units ready. No, I don't think more floors will be added, even if the project sold out in a day. 

I agree about the delays, but no matter how many floors, there will always be a top one! I don't see them adding floors either, but I suppose it's possible.