Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

1 hour ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Also - can one of the glass boxes in the middle please be a Jeni's like the one in Charlotte's South End??

image.png.f70543101ce0ed7b3c35d63831884d4f.png

I wish. Jeni said a couple years ago when she was here that Greenville doesn't have the right market for a Jenis store just yet. But hopefully one day. 

7 minutes ago, Den2Gvl said:

I wish. Jeni said a couple years ago when she was here that Greenville doesn't have the right market for a Jenis store just yet. But hopefully one day. 

I am absolutely baffled why an ice cream shop would think you need to be a large metro area to be able to support one of their shops. We’re not talking about a retailer that sells clothing outfits that cost thousands of dollars like Saks Fifth Avenue here.

Edited by gman430

21 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I am absolutely baffled why an ice cream shop would think you need to be a large metro area to be able to support one of their shops. We’re not talking about a retailer that sells clothing outfits that cost thousands of dollars like Saks Fifth Avenue here.

Charleston has one. Maybe we need more tourists??

17 minutes ago, Den2Gvl said:

Charleston has one. Maybe we need more tourists??

I was looking at their website and they don’t even have a location in New York City. :lol: Doesn’t get much more touristy or population than that. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

I was looking at their website and they don’t even have a location in New York City. :lol: Doesn’t get much more touristy or population than that. 

Jeni's likes the yuppie vibes much more than touristy markets. It was founded in a yuppie part of Columbus OH and the locations are cities like the trendy areas of Chicago, Nashville, DC, and Atlanta. (Then the Charlotte one previously mentioned)

• 3 weeks later...

Beating a dead horse, but this rendering from Den2Gvl's linked article really brings home to me how unfortunate the placement of the Bowater parking garage is. Hindsight....

Anybody remember what was there before the garage? I remember the C&S on the corner; was the garage site just a parking lot?

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 12.28.23 PM.png

2 hours ago, Exile said:

Beating a dead horse, but this rendering from Den2Gvl's linked article really brings home to me how unfortunate the placement of the Bowater parking garage is. Hindsight....

Anybody remember what was there before the garage? I remember the C&S on the corner; was the garage site just a parking lot?

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 12.28.23 PM.png

It's going to be the biggest eyesore by the park for sure. I presume eventually it would be torn down for a new development. There are parking lots all around here but that will be the last place to put new construction right there on the river. 

16 minutes ago, johnpro318 said:

It's going to be the biggest eyesore by the park for sure. I presume eventually it would be torn down for a new development. There are parking lots all around here but that will be the last place to put new construction right there on the river. 

Weren't there plans submitted to the DRB to include an ivy wall feature on the garage? I thought I remember seeing something about that. But I agree, the location is very unfortunate. I see it likely getting torn down eventually. 

15 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

If they tear it down, I'd rather see them incorporate the acreage into the park. Maybe have some sort of plaza. I'd be happy to donate to that effort.

2 hours ago, Exile said:

If they tear it down, I'd rather see them incorporate the acreage into the park. Maybe have some sort of plaza. I'd be happy to donate to that effort.

I think they could alter the footprint to curve the building to give more area to the park in exchange for some height. A plaza would be nice. It should be a showstopping space since there are so many others being build right now. 

• Like 1

Anyone have any idea a rough schedule for any of the 3 buildings?  I know the Deca Apartments are starting to issue info via email on layouts, amenities, etc so I gotta believe they are getting ready to start leasing, if they haven't already started.

Falls Tower seems to be putting up a new floor every 1.5 weeks.  Should only be a couple more months for them to be topped out I would think.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

On 11/12/2019 at 3:15 PM, johnpro318 said:

Other cities are putting new projects atop their parking garages. Perhaps a developer would be willing to do that here? 

4 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Other cities are putting new projects atop their parking garages. Perhaps a developer would be willing to do that here? 

The problem I see with that:

1. You have to have a garage that was built to support the weight of a building. I'm not sure if this one was. 

2. That would still leave an unpleasant experience/view from Falls Park. 

It has to go remedy the situation, though it will probably be a while from now. 

On 11/15/2019 at 10:28 PM, GvilleSC said:

Columbia? 

No. A few years ago, a guy named Don Tomlin bought the "air rights" for building atop downtown parking garages. An article in the State (back then) indicated he had ambitious plans to build several residential towers, but that plan apparently fizzled out. Would love to see someone do it in Cola or anywhere in SC.

14 minutes ago, victory said:

No. A few years ago, a guy named Don Tomlin bought the "air rights" for building atop downtown parking garages. An article in the State (back then) indicated he had ambitious plans to build several residential towers, but that plan apparently fizzled out. Would love to see someone do it in Cola or anywhere in SC.

Are parking garages structured/designed to be more than....a parking garage?

5 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

Are parking garages structured/designed to be more than....a parking garage?

They can be designed for that. Washington University in St. Louis just built a huge underground parking garage under the easternmost part of their campus. It was designed to eventually, if needed, house offices for various ancillary services (that would be way down the road). So it can be done, but the decks in that garage are level. I don't think they're level in the Bowater garage. And I doubt you could build much, if anything, on top of it. My guess is the best you could do there is a Bookends-like development, which won't happen because that would encroach even more on the park.