Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

Oh, Ok.... well still. Finding a way to incorporate that site would be great although Id guess that space would not be cheap with its proximity/view to the park.

Not sure if this is exactly what you meant, but it would really be great to *tear down* that parking garage. Having a garage fronting the river right above the falls strikes me as a bit ridiculous, given what's happened since it was built. Think of it: the News site development with a major entrance that has an unobstructed view of the river, over the garage site that's been annexed to the park. Not likely any time soon, I suppose. But what if....?

Edited by Exile

Not sure if this is exactly what you meant, but it would really be great to *tear down* that parking garage. Having a garage fronting the river right above the falls strikes me as a bit ridiculous, given what's happened since it was built. Think of it: the News site development with a major entrance that has an unobstructed view of the river, over the garage site that's been annexed to the park. Not likely any time soon, I suppose. But what if....?

I have pondered the same topic on numerous occasions. The site is absolutely perfect for well-designed luxury condominiums.

Well annexed to the park would be good as well, but what I meant was incorporate that site into the development plans (ie. tearing down the current structure and rebuilding). I could only imagine how much condos there would go for, for instance.

Either way. A good development would blend into the park.

Anything but a parking garage.

You'd really like to see a Target in the dead center of our downtown, across from our performing arts center and visible from Liberty Bridge?

Yes. Why not? it would fill a wide array of currently missing items that can't currently be bought DT. It would be a huge draw for offer retailers as well. There are cities much bigger than Greenville that would kill for one in their DT core. 

Yes, I would like a Target at the Greenville News site.  It would work well for one because the soccer moms who will not walk anywhere could park right behind it.  It could be very well-designed.  White Plains, NY has a Target (and a Walmart) across from its City Hall (and a Ritz-Carlton); Boston had a Woolworth's right down from the State House; and there are plenty of other examples.

For people who look down at a Target downtown do the burger place (former Hot Dog King) and parking lot just north of the Greenville News site, and the liquor store just to the east, look better?

Yes, I would like a Target at the Greenville News site.  It would work well for one because the soccer moms who will not walk anywhere could park right behind it.  It could be very well-designed.  White Plains, NY has a Target (and a Walmart) across from its City Hall (and a Ritz-Carlton); Boston had a Woolworth's right down from the State House; and there are plenty of other examples.

For people who look down at a Target downtown do the burger place (former Hot Dog King) and parking lot just north of the Greenville News site, and the liquor store just to the east, look better?

I don't in principle object to a Target on that site, but the urban Targets I'm familiar with have a pretty big footprint, even the double-decker ones. Is the site really big enough for something like that and a hotel, offices, plaza, other retail, etc.?

I believe there are better places to put a target. Southeast corner of W.Washington and W. Broad St I believe would be better. Across the street from the Greenville Water site and park. 

Or across BB&T building on Buncombe...

All of this land is on the edge of current developments of downtown and would further extend the development beyond the current extent. The land on Main is better served with something else. 

Edited by ausrutherford

I believe there are better places to put a target. Southeast corner of W.Washington and W. Broad St I believe would be better. Across the street from the Greenville Water site and park. 

Or across BB&T building on Buncombe...

All of this land is on the edge of current developments of downtown and would further extend the development beyond the current extent. The land on Main is better served with something else. 

The ONLY way you could attract an urban Target is with a high visibility, high pedestrian traffic count  location.  Neither of those other sites offer that. I get the feeling that you think this will be a 'parking lot in front' type store, which it would not be.   

The ONLY way you could attract an urban Target is with a high visibility, high pedestrian traffic count  location.  Neither of those other sites offer that. I get the feeling that you think this will be a 'parking lot in front' type store, which it would not be.   

Not at all, I know exactly what it is. Im saying they should use it to extend the reach of downtown. The two sites are within reach of many of the condo/apartments already built or in planning. The Target would allow for high pedestrian traffic. 

My 2C in this... just found this browsing the net, I was in a CityTarget in Chicago, and that has the ability to fit in downtown. I don't think that a full size like what is on Woodruff would work downtown at all, but CityTarget and TargetExpress.

Here is a link to the new CityTarget being built in Fenway

I really think that would work nicely in the area of downtown. Maybe not the same size as the Fenway location but like Seattle's or Chicago's urban store. 

• 1 month later...

Something along the lines of:

140 room hotel, 6 stories over retail on Main.

225 apartments in 8 stories w retail on Falls

4 stories of condos over 6 levels of office space at Main St bridge.

4 stories of office at Falls/Broad.

Theater, and lots of retail.

800 space parking garage.

Large plaza and unique feature at Main and Broad.

This is a quick account of what's proposed.

Edited by GvilleSC

The plaza is very large and meanders all over the site. I'd like to see a little less hardscaping, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the full plans. 

My mental picture was this would be a solid street to street 'pad' with mid-rises rising up from that.

Can't wait to see the full plans. 

The plaza is very large and meanders all over the site. I'd like to see a little less hardscaping, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the full plans. 

My mental picture was this would be a solid street to street 'pad' with mid-rises rising up from that.

Can't wait to see the full plans. 

I agree with you. I almost feel there is too much plaza... Couldn't they make it more park like if it is going to be this large? Or increase the width of some buildings? Also, I think the building at Main and Broad should be more impressive instead of a small retail spot... or am I missing something? Surely the signature piece won't make up for a lowrise at that corner?