Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

15 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

All condos have been sold, in excess of $1 million.

To an entity that will actually build out the interiors of the shell space, or the actual and eventual condo owners? It would seem to be the former based on how things have gone down, and the narrative we've been told since the beginning. 

20% deposits will be submitted at contract signing • Closing and delivery of the shell for contractor build out slated for Q4 2019 • The remaining 80% of the purchase price is due at delivery of the shell 

Like so many available spaces throughout the project, Glenn said announcements will be forthcoming — some, he said, that will be transformational.

“There’s a couple things we’re working on that will mean big, big things for Greenville," said Glenn, who along with his father developed the Fluor Field mixed-use project and others. “Camperdown is going to change the way people look at Greenville, and we’re trying to take advantage of that. Greenville’s got a great story to tell."

I wonder what it could be. :whistling: 

Edited by gman430

15 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Like so many available spaces throughout the project, Glenn said announcements will be forthcoming — some, he said, that will be transformational.

“There’s a couple things we’re working on that will mean big, big things for Greenville," said Glenn, who along with his father developed the Fluor Field mixed-use project and others. “Camperdown is going to change the way people look at Greenville, and we’re trying to take advantage of that. Greenville’s got a great story to tell."

I wonder what it could be. :whistling: 

I continue to wonder if the movie theater could be an option.. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

IKEA? Nordstrom? Walmart? Car wash? The possibilities are endless. :D 

The next 'big thing' I'm hoping for is a really cool development announced for the gateway site downtown...whether it actually happens or not is a different  matter.  :tw_grimace:

Edited by cabelagent

10 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Maybe but that quote sounds like much more than a DT movie theater.  At least in my opinion, a theater would in no way be "transformational," or a "big, big thing for Greenville." Cool, yes, but not those other descriptors.

A downtown movie theater would be fairly transformational IMHO.  Its downtown entertainment that is affordable for all, something that transcends a lot of different niches such as age, race, economic class, single, couple, family, etc.  it would bring a lot more people to the area and those people will hang around to get food before or after the show or head to the park or window shop.  It would have a dramatic affect on the density of people downtown that aren't employed there.  It would also be a catalyst for more retail.

Edited by gvegascple

11 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

A downtown movie theater would be fairly transformational IMHO.  Its downtown entertainment that is affordable for all, something that transcends a lot of different niches such as age, race, economic class, single, couple, family, etc.  it would bring a lot more people to the area and those people will hang around to get food before or after the show or head to the park or window shop.  It would have a dramatic affect on the density of people downtown that aren't employed there.  It would also be a catalyst for more retail.

All in how you take it I guess. To me "transformational" is like what Falls Park did, or what County Square is going to do. Maybe words like "transformational" and "game changer" are just thrown around too loosely these days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

All in how you take it I guess. To me "transformational" is like what Falls Park did, or what County Square is going to do. Maybe words like "transformational" and "game changer" are just thrown around too loosely these days. 

understood, and to me, if it created an atmosphere where downtown  consumer/pedestrian density went up 20-25%, and existing restaurants that had trouble making ends meet were able to flourish, and retail store numbers basically exploded all while adding more jobs (retail/food industry) downtown I cant imagine it being anything else other than transformitive.  I dont know if  something like a downtown Target would do as much as a theater.  Okay, a huge get with respect to landing another large corporate office/University would definitely be transformtive.  Another Michelin or BMW or Prisma or Clemson, USC or Furman, heck yeah, that would be huge.  What parameters tick your checkboxes when it comes to being transformtive?  I will take anything :-)

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gvegascple said:

understood, and to me, if it created an atmosphere where downtown  consumer/pedestrian density went up 20-25%, and existing restaurants that had trouble making ends meet were able to flourish, and retail store numbers basically exploded all while adding more jobs (retail/food industry) downtown I cant imagine it being anything else other than transformitive.  I dont know if  something like a downtown Target would do as much as a theater.  Okay, a huge get with respect to landing another large corporate office/University would definitely transformtive.  Another Michelin or BMW or Prisma or Clemson, USC or Furman, heck yeah, that would be huge.  What parameters tick your checkboxes when it comes to being transformtive?  I will take anything :-)

I think you are more on the right track. Examples of transformative changes for me would be a large corporate HQ (in a building with beautiful architecture), large public park (Unity park), large beautiful convention center (like Nashville's music city center), major league stadium (or a beautiful minor league stadium, Fluor field probably counts here, not Bon Secours though), mass transit (light rail or track based trolley, like Denver), regionally important landmark (the south is devoid of them, GVL is obviously not on the same level as NYC or Chicago, but the Bean and the Vessel were both built in the last 15 years and draw all sorts of traffic).  I'm not sure what it would look like, but creating an "innovation district" with great amenities for start-ups, subsidized rents, and collaborative spaces would also qualify.

A movie theater would draw people downtown and keep the restaurants and bars busy throughout the day, but only thing's that would drastically change the way of life would qualify as transformative in my opinion.

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

I think you are more on the right track. Examples of transformative changes for me would be a large corporate HQ (in a building with beautiful architecture), large public park (Unity park), large beautiful convention center (like Nashville's music city center), major league stadium (or a beautiful minor league stadium, Fluor field probably counts here, not Bon Secours though), mass transit (light rail or track based trolley, like Denver), regionally important landmark (the south is devoid of them, GVL is obviously not on the same level as NYC or Chicago, but the Bean and the Vessel were both built in the last 15 years and draw all sorts of traffic).  I'm not sure what it would look like, but creating an "innovation district" with great amenities for start-ups, subsidized rents, and collaborative spaces would also qualify.

A movie theater would draw people downtown and keep the restaurants and bars busy throughout the day, but only thing's that would drastically change the way of life would qualify as transformative in my opinion.

I wonder what they are referring to.  In the context of this location, size is a limiting factor.  I cant see too big of a corporate hq or university presence fitting which is why I went the theater route.  Maybe they are just being overly dramatic when they say transformitive.

30 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

I wonder what they are referring to.  In the context of this location, size is a limiting factor.  I cant see too big of a corporate hq or university presence fitting which is why I went the theater route.  Maybe they are just being overly dramatic when they say transformitive.

It's probably some drama to create buzz. Honestly, just some destination retailers (similar to what One brought downtown) are all I'm looking for. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

It's probably some drama to create buzz. Honestly, just some destination retailers (similar to what One brought downtown) are all I'm looking for. 

that makes the most sense.  I will take an Urban Outfitters please but would be ok with any major retailer that draws people downtown to get downtown retail growing again.  Getting tired of more bars and micro brews (and ice cream and coffee)

9 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

that makes the most sense.  I will take an Urban Outfitters please but would be ok with any major retailer that draws people downtown to get downtown retail growing again.  Getting tired of more bars and micro brews (and ice cream and coffee)

I was about to mention Urban Outfitters too. It was the first thing that popped in my mind when I read the article. Not sure if it's considered something that would drastically change Greenville, but it would be different from what we have downtown currently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SVL said:

I walked in the plaza last night to check it out. While there is still so much work left to do, I could see and feel how amazing this project is going to be. I think everyone is going to enjoy this new space.

Agree...If the right retail, eateries, etc have locations....this could be as popular as the bridge/falls park.  Grand Bohemian could  be a popular gathering venue....I'm excited with addition to that area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gville2012 said:

I am hearing rumors of a large national retailer that starts with a T signing on...

I've seen some urban Targets done very tastefully, that is the key here. There is no question we need more "general retail" downtown with all the new apartment buildings and population growth..  Publix is really the only grocery store and if you can't find what you need between there and CVS, you have to drive out of downtown to get it.  Being able to walk from where you live to the store and back is a key to urban living (now we just need more white collar corporate jobs downtown). Urban/campus locations seem to be the biggest growth market for Target - here's a video from them about it.

https://37f6b544658ea11e630d-8a2dde25712c39c0d59f891617253917.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/videos/news/2017/07/July campus stores/QDAF0015938H_Flex_Format_0227_23-98_1080_Cutdown_ABV-card.mp4

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

I've seen some urban Targets done very tastefully, that is the key here. There is no question we need more "general retail" downtown with all the new apartment buildings and population growth..  Publix is really the only grocery store and if you can't find what you need between there and CVS, you have to drive out of downtown to get it.  Being able to walk from where you live to the store and back is a key to urban living (now we just need more white collar corporate jobs downtown). Urban/campus locations seem to be the biggest growth market for Target - here's a video from them about it.

https://37f6b544658ea11e630d-8a2dde25712c39c0d59f891617253917.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/videos/news/2017/07/July campus stores/QDAF0015938H_Flex_Format_0227_23-98_1080_Cutdown_ABV-card.mp4

big fan of an urban target cart escalator 

OIP.jpg

• Like 1