Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

Is there enough space for an urban Target?  Per Wiki, "the majority of "small-format" CityTarget stores are roughly 80,000 square feet."  It looks like the largest space available at Camperdown is 15,481 sq ft (link below).  I, too, was thinking Urban Outfitters for that space since the square footage is average for an U.O. store.  Also, there is already an Anthropologie downtown although i don't know how busy they are.  Seems to always have customers inside.

https://www.collettre.com/images/Properties/Camperdown_Flyer___09_18_19_reduced.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Corporation#cite_note-65

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, greenvilleguy said:

Is there enough space for an urban Target?  Per Wiki, "the majority of "small-format" CityTarget stores are roughly 80,000 square feet."  It looks like the largest space available at Camperdown is 15,481 sq ft (link below).  I, too, was thinking Urban Outfitters for that space since the square footage is average for an U.O. store.  Also, there is already an Anthropologie downtown although i don't know how busy they are.  Seems to always have customers inside.

https://www.collettre.com/images/Properties/Camperdown_Flyer___09_18_19_reduced.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Corporation#cite_note-65

From Target's website (https://corporate.target.com/article/2018/07/small-format-stores):

SmartSelect_20200124-121813_Chrome.jpg

I'm assuming it would mostly focus on grocery and serve as a pickup location for online orders which would be awesome. 

Edited by johnpro318
  • Like 1

15,000 puts it smack in the Trader Joes average size. 

"As of October 8, 2019, Trader Joe's had 504 stores in the United States with stores being added regularly.[23] In 2017, Trader Joe's opened 14 new stores nationwide.[24] Most locations averaged between 10,000 and 15,000 sq ft (1,400 m2). California has the largest number of stores with 183 open in the state."

From the looks of that flyer It doesnt look like there is room for a multiplex left over there, assuming they would be larger than 15,000 sq ft. 

Edited by gvegascple

27 minutes ago, gman430 said:

My guess is Target. Trader Joe’s while nice doesn’t say “game changer” to me. 

A tiny Target or TJ's doesnt do much for me  as far as game changing, Id take the TJs though.  Id still have to go to the other Targets for half the stuff I would get there.  Hmmm Tiffany and co?  TGIFridays? :rofl:

Edited by gvegascple

35 minutes ago, GVLover said:

For final clarification, is the office tower 15 or 17 floors? It’s looking like a beast. 

27115B41-9B5F-47A1-B144-D16E4A521AC9.jpeg

It's definitely nice to see it rising and will have a good impact DT, though I wish it were going to have a tapering top instead of a boxy one. Only in Greenville can it be called "a beast' though, it wouldn't even register on most DTs. :)

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

It's definitely nice to see it rising and will have a good impact DT, though I wish it were going to have a tapering top instead of a boxy one. Only in Greenville can it be called "a beast' though, it wouldn't even register on most DTs. :)

How many floors does it have to go? It looks pretty tall.

59 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Haha, while I agree it’s beast *for Greenville*, it would also be a beast in most DT’s. Most places in the US don’t have buildings that are 16 floors lol

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Neither. It’s 16.

Dang, only four more to go, eh? Should be topped out in a month or two tops. 

27 minutes ago, Theurbandeveloper said:

How many floors does it have to go? It looks pretty tall.

Well it's pretty tall for Greenville, and it is probably the tallest building under construction in the state (MYB?) . In fact, Greenville probably has quite a few on the list of the tallest buildings built in the state over the past few years. But, it still takes a pair of the Ole' Greenville Goggles to go beast mode with it. Even with 4 more floors it still just a low-mid rise. Like I say, it is good to see for DT and will give some height but I'm on the lookout for that new tallest, maybe 400ft.  :thumbsup:

18 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Well it's pretty tall for Greenville, and it is probably the tallest building under construction in the state (MYB?) . In fact, Greenville probably has quite a few on the list of the tallest buildings built in the state over the past few years. But, it still takes a pair of the Ole' Greenville Goggles to go beast mode with it. Even with 4 more floors it still just a low-mid rise. Like I say, it is good to see for DT and will give some height but I'm on the lookout for that new tallest, maybe 400ft.  :thumbsup:

I agree, Greenville in my opinion could use a good many more highrises something like 30 stories or a few being. But I don't understand why greenville won't approve anything over 12 or 20 stories!? Charlotte has it where you can't build taller than the bank of America tower and that's understandable, but the landmark/Windstream building I don't understand.

53 minutes ago, Theurbandeveloper said:

I agree, Greenville in my opinion could use a good many more highrises something like 30 stories or a few being. But I don't understand why greenville won't approve anything over 12 or 20 stories!? Charlotte has it where you can't build taller than the bank of America tower and that's understandable, but the landmark/Windstream building I don't understand.

Windstream/landmark was originally the Daniel Bldg.  completed 1966. It was the hqtr. of Daniel International Construction that was founded by brothers Charles Daniel/Robert Daniel. At one time, Daniel was the largest construction corp. in the world.  It was sold to Fluor Corp. in 1977 and the hqtr. was moved to TX.  It was briefly the tallest building south of Philadelphia. The interior has been renovated  (years ago) but the exterior needs it badly (as you can tell).  It has 25 floors....3 floors below ground and 22 above (305 ft).  I watched it being built and sorta amazed it has same appearance this many years later.    

Edited by cabelagent
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Theurbandeveloper said:

You can build taller than BofA in Charlotte, But, to date, no one has wanted to go higher.  The Duke Energy Center could have gone higher than BofA’s 60 floors,  however the owners specifically said to not build higher.  First Union (Wells Fargo) had a 100 story building planned before scrapping it.  It may be a while before anything hits 900’ in Charlotte.  Tower cranes dot the skyline for a ton of new buildings ranging from 18 to 45 floors, it just may not make sense for a 900’ tower today.  The economics of building for height don’t work in a lot of applications.  

For Greenville, absent government assistance, the rental rates need to be higher to justify more height (in addition to finding new to market tenants).

• Like 2

On 1/24/2020 at 10:14 AM, gvegascple said:

big fan of an urban target cart escalator 

OIP.jpg

Those are called Vermaports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermaport

On 1/24/2020 at 9:28 AM, NewlyUpstate said:

I've seen some urban Targets done very tastefully, that is the key here. There is no question we need more "general retail" downtown with all the new apartment buildings and population growth..  Publix is really the only grocery store and if you can't find what you need between there and CVS, you have to drive out of downtown to get it.  Being able to walk from where you live to the store and back is a key to urban living (now we just need more white collar corporate jobs downtown). Urban/campus locations seem to be the biggest growth market for Target - here's a video from them about it.

https://37f6b544658ea11e630d-8a2dde25712c39c0d59f891617253917.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/videos/news/2017/07/July campus stores/QDAF0015938H_Flex_Format_0227_23-98_1080_Cutdown_ABV-card.mp4

I love the baskets with wheels!  I often grab a basket because I only plan on picking up a few things, but then end up getting something heavy.