Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

26 minutes ago, Cityplanner said:

I would have thought that people in the conservative bastion of Greenville County would assert that funding real estate development is not a proper purpose of government.  If they won't, I will.

Good luck with that endeavor.....You'll probably need  a real tall soapbox to stand on. :whistling:

1 hour ago, Cityplanner said:

I would have thought that people in the conservative bastion of Greenville County would assert that funding real estate development is not a proper purpose of government.  If they won't, I will.

This isn't funding real estate development. It's improvements to the public space around the project. It's what has benefitted downtown since its early days of rebirth and still has a very useful purpose to this day. I generally think people are smarter than you give them credit for. Most people in Greenville County do NOT live in the city limits, so their voice (rightfully so) does not have volume on this matter. The city's voters tend to be more progressive and most can recognize the beautiful city they call home and what it takes to maintain and improve that space. 

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

This isn't funding real estate development. It's improvements to the public space around the project. It's what has benefitted downtown since its early days of rebirth and still has a very useful purpose to this day. I generally think people are smarter than you give them credit for. Most people in Greenville County do NOT live in the city limits, so their voice (rightfully so) does not have volume on this matter. The city's voters tend to be more progressive. 

Let the developer fund improvements, whether they're on the project's premises or otherwise done in connection with the project.  That's how plenty of larger cities do it; NYC, for example (while certainly not a model of taxation or proper treatment of businesses) often requires developers to improve neighboring subway stations when they build buildings.  The neighboring improvements would not be done but for this project and will enhance the profitability of the project, so let the developer pay for it.  In addition, there is a ton of available cash for investments these days, and if a private developer can't find enough private-sector funds for its projects, then it needs to re-think its business model and come up with projects that can be financed with private-sector cash.

I'm "progressive"--I favor progress towards a better future of freedom and right-sized government.  Leftists don't have exclusive use of the concept of progress, so I reject the term "progressive" when it is equated with left-wing politics.

Edited by Cityplanner

1 minute ago, Cityplanner said:

Let the developer fund improvements, whether they're on the project's premises or otherwise done in connection with the project.  That's how plenty of larger cities do it; NYC, for example (while certainly not a model of taxation or proper treatment of businesses) often requires developers to improve neighboring subway stations when they build buildings.  The neighboring improvements would not be done but for this project and will enhance the profitability of the project, so let the developer pay for it.

I'm "progressive"--I favor progress towards a better future of freedom and limited government.  Leftists don't have exclusive use of the concept of progress, so I reject the term "progressive" when it is equated with left-wing politics.

I hate to break it to you, but Greenville is not NYC (thank God). Developers will play that game in New York for lots of reasons. Greenville would NEVER have gotten the Hyatt hotel/Greenville Commons out of the ground without the public-private partnership that made it possible to build such a facility in a declining landscape. Thus, we would not have the showpiece of an urban core that we have today without that deal that started the ball rolling. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

I hate to break it to you, but Greenville is not NYC (thank God). Developers will play that game in New York for lots of reasons. Greenville would NEVER have gotten the Hyatt hotel/Greenville Commons out of the ground without the public-private partnership that made it possible to build such a facility in a declining landscape. Thus, we would not have the showpiece of an urban core that we have today without that deal that started the ball rolling. 

But if the government hadn't spent money helping suburban real estate development for decades before the 1980s, downtown wouldn't have died in the first place and no public funds would have been necessary to build a hotel so that downtown would have a hotel. 

It's good that the developer is repaying the funds via increased property taxes; I'd still prefer that government be neutral and let the market decide what to fund.  That is most economically efficient.

In short: real estate is something that private investors have been funding for millenia.  Real estate would be developed even if government didn't fund a cent of it.  Government should stay out of it (it shouldn't fund improvements so that suburban malls and office parks are built, either) and let the market decide.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

But if the government hadn't spent money helping suburban real estate development for decades before the 1980s, downtown wouldn't have died in the first place and no public funds would have been necessary to build a hotel so that downtown would have a hotel. 

It's good that the developer is repaying the funds via increased property taxes; I'd still prefer that government be neutral and let the market decide what to fund.  That is most economically efficient.

In short: real estate is something that private investors have been funding for millenia.  Real estate would be developed even if government didn't fund a cent of it.  Government should stay out of it (it shouldn't fund improvements so that suburban malls and office parks are built, either) and let the market decide.

In an ideal world, yes -- we wouldn't be having this discussion. However, until one can acknowledge that an ideal world doesn't exist, this is a waste of time.  I'd be intrigued to hear your thoughts on zoning since your chosen username is cityplanner... 

10 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

In an ideal world, yes -- we wouldn't be having this discussion. However, until one can acknowledge that an ideal world doesn't exist, this is a waste of time.  I'd be intrigued to hear your thoughts on zoning since your chosen username is cityplanner... 

I don’t view “the world is not ideal” as an excuse for continuing to accept bad public policy in all situations, but to each his own.

Also, I'll go back and contradict a statement that I made above.  If government spends $20 million in connection with this project and tax receipts go up by $20 million or more, in a sense the government is being paid back through increased tax collections.  But the developer isn't "paying the government back" because if the project and the ancillary improvements are done, tax collections would increase regardless of who paid for the ancillary improvements.  It would still have been better for private funds to have been used.

Edited by Cityplanner

• 1 month later...

It was  a great day to trek around downtown, especially Falls Park/Liberty Bridge on Sunday. Many others had the same idea... amazing how downtown has become a destination for a fun experience.  BTW...Reid’s Fine Foods is great & a nice addition.

B0AECAA0-3C9A-437B-A05F-11B4AEE4D10B.jpeg

Edited by cabelagent
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

O-Ku Sushi is out and Table 301 is in:

“The restaurant, whose concept remains in development and will be a part of the Table 301 family, is slated to sit inside the freestanding building nearest Broad Street in the center of Camperdown plaza. At 3,500-square feet, the restaurant is smaller than most other Table 301 restaurants.

It will have three dining areas with combined seating for around 150 people. This includes a main dining room and bar, an outdoor patios area and a rooftop space.

Table 301 plans to begin its buildout process before the end of the year, Sobocinski said. The goal is to have the restaurant open by spring 2021.

Originally, another restaurant group had signed a lease on the restaurant space on the plaza. The regional brand planned to bring its high-end sushi concept to Greenville. However, those plans changed late last year, Glenn said.”

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

O-Ku Sushi is out and Table 301 is in:

“The restaurant, whose concept remains in development and will be a part of the Table 301 family, is slated to sit inside the freestanding building nearest Broad Street in the center of Camperdown plaza. At 3,500-square feet, the restaurant is smaller than most other Table 301 restaurants.

It will have three dining areas with combined seating for around 150 people. This includes a main dining room and bar, an outdoor patios area and a rooftop space.

Table 301 plans to begin its buildout process before the end of the year, Sobocinski said. The goal is to have the restaurant open by spring 2021.

Originally, another restaurant group had signed a lease on the restaurant space on the plaza. The regional brand planned to bring its high-end sushi concept to Greenville. However, those plans changed late last year, Glenn said.”

I like that it will be something local and unique. There are plenty of other sushi options downtown already. Insomnia Cookies still shows coming soon on their website. What else was announced? Also wasn't there supposed to be a game changing announcement coming? That has to be more than a restaurant, right?