Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

4 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

That's certainly a strong vote of confidence in the downtown restaurant market.  I thought that hotel restaurants often lose money and so hotel owners try to avoid having them if possible.

The 3 rooftop options will certainly be among the most popular spots in town.  I can see the speakeasy cocktail lounge being quite popular as well if they are able to get a good bartending staff.  Social Burger will be a good option for people hanging out in Camperdown plaza.  Paloma will be good for people who want a sit down meal on the plaza and people watch.

I think all the concepts are unique enough to work, the key is having actually good food and drinks at a reasonable price, because the competition is fierce.

• Like 1

I've heard the biggest issue for all restaurants right now is good staff.  A whole chunk has just left the restaurant workforce pool based on the pandemic and won't becoming back.  I know one downtown restaurant can't increase seating capacity because of staff shortages. 

• Like 1

According to CBRE, Spaces has dropped their lease plans for Camperdown unfortunately due to Covid and financial issues within the company itself.  Two floors and 47,000 square feet of office space are now available instead of the original one floor and 23,500 square feet.

Edited by gman430

That is a co-work company right?  IMO that should be a booming business. So many more people are working from home now, it would seem many would want a 'get-away' for a day or more.  

It is going to be interesting to see what happens with office and retail in the near future. The Verdae shopping center has like 67k in SF available.  I sure hope the Bi-Lo there is doing okay, that is just about the only big tenant left besides Office Depot.   I guess we can forget seeing the long ago announced Laurens Rd retail come in.  

8 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

It is going to be interesting to see what happens with office and retail in the near future. The Verdae shopping center has like 67k in SF available.  I sure hope the Bi-Lo there is doing okay, that is just about the only big tenant left besides Office Depot.   I guess we can forget seeing the long ago announced Laurens Rd retail come in.  

It'd be great to see that whole shopping center redeveloped into a mixed use site. Bi-Lo Could easily stay, and would only benefit from having residential on site. Perhaps it will once the trail is finished... Overall, Laurens Road will benefit if the trail can be completed first, and some actual zoning requirements with teeth get put in place to direct and guide proper development along the corridor. We don't need to see a Walmart (insert any retailer), with a sea of surface parking, brought in just for the sake of taking up space. 

On 11/24/2020 at 9:37 AM, GvilleSC said:

It'd be great to see that whole shopping center redeveloped into a mixed use site. Bi-Lo Could easily stay, and would only benefit from having residential on site. Perhaps it will once the trail is finished... Overall, Laurens Road will benefit if the trail can be completed first, and some actual zoning requirements with teeth get put in place to direct and guide proper development along the corridor. We don't need to see a Walmart (insert any retailer), with a sea of surface parking, brought in just for the sake of taking up space. 

Remember Bilo is closing at the end of the year, they all are except the few that were bought by Lowes or Food Lion. I think the Verdae store was bought by and will turn into a FL. Sad that Bilo will be no more as they have been here all my life. 

On 11/24/2020 at 9:21 AM, vicupstate said:

That is a co-work company right?  IMO that should be a booming business. So many more people are working from home now, it would seem many would want a 'get-away' for a day or more.  

Does that include the closing Stein Mart store @Verdae?  apaladin is correct. That Bi-Lo will become Food Lion early next year as well as the Bi-Lo in Kmart Plaza off Church St.

Edited by vistatiger

• 3 weeks later...

Falls Tower in Camperdown is officially completed - UPSTATE BUSINESS JOURNAL

Sorta surprised with this....suppose new tenants must finish their leased areas in the building according to their specs.  It looks really nice in daytime...hope it has some good exterior lighting so it will look same at night.  :good: 

Edited by cabelagent
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

Falls Tower in Camperdown is officially completed - UPSTATE BUSINESS JOURNAL

Sorta surprised with this....suppose new tenants must finish their leased areas in the building according to their specs.  It looks really nice in daytime...hope it has some good exterior lighting so it will look same at night.  :good: 

Complete? The construction workers on site today didn’t get this memo. Lol. 

6 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

Someone dropped the ball on this.  Evan Smith (penned article) must have been misinformed by his source.  That’s happened with news media a lot lately :dunno:

A lot of construction is said to be complete before it is done (look at 385 85 gateway project that was "complete" at start of 2020 and still isn't actually finished. It probably just hit a milestone for structural or exterior work. 

2 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

A lot of construction is said to be complete before it is done (look at 385 85 gateway project that was "complete" at start of 2020 and still isn't actually finished. It probably just hit a milestone for structural or exterior work. 

It's strange...Article headline read it is 'officially' open & this  'Falls Tower in the Camperdown development is ready to open its doors to the public.'  No big deal...excited it's almost complete no matter what is reported.  I'm excited to visit/see the plaza area & dine there when it's open.  

Edited by cabelagent