Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

32 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Sign now up on site of phase II at Falls and Webster Streets:

Doesn't look like it's anything good, at least for now, according to the Voluntary Cleanup Contract:

"D. Proposed Redevelopment: UCB plans to acquire the Property and develop it as surface parking for its new corporate headquarters office and a retail branch planned for construction on an adjacent property."

...so...they're going to turn the parking lot into...a parking lot that they own!

Edited by timbach

7 minutes ago, timbach said:

Doesn't look like it's anything good, at least for now, according to the Voluntary Cleanup Contract:

"D. Proposed Redevelopment: UCB plans to acquire the Property and develop it as surface parking for its new corporate headquarters office and a retail branch planned for construction on an adjacent property."

...so...they're going to turn the parking lot into...a parking lot that they own!

Oh goodie. Hopefully they plant a few trees. 

There new building is going to provide most if not all of the parking it requires onsite.  My guess would be this is being designated as a 'parking lot' because that is what it is now. I would full expect it to be developed for UCB's use or eventually sold by them to a developer.  

4 hours ago, Skyliner said:

7 On Main temporary relocation is underway today.  The RiverPlace prime space should be vacant/available soon.  They'll be in Spartanburg until work on the new space in the Camperdown office tower is complete this summer.

Yay for more vacant space downtown. 

On 5/15/2021 at 8:58 AM, Skyliner said:

7 On Main temporary relocation is underway today.  The RiverPlace prime space should be vacant/available soon.  They'll be in Spartanburg until work on the new space in the Camperdown office tower is complete this summer.

Alrighty, lets get to it, what does everyone want to see here?  Ice Cream Shop? Cookies? Coffee?  :rofl:      I am still holding out for something like Urban Outfitters to come downtown or even another national retail chain as long as it isnt too cheesy.   I am not sure how much space there is to work with there either,  might be too small.  A tiffanys might be a cool fit for that spot.

9 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

Alrighty, lets get to it, what does everyone want to see here?  Ice Cream Shop? Cookies? Coffee?  :rofl:      I am still holding out for something like Urban Outfitters to come downtown or even another national retail chain as long as it isnt too cheesy.   I am not sure how much space there is to work with there either,  might be too small.  A tiffanys might be a cool fit for that spot.

Something to compliment and create synergies with LuLuLemon would be nice. What that is... I'm not sure. The mezzanine offers the next tenant lots of opportunities to get creative. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

Something to compliment and create synergies with LuLuLemon would be nice. What that is... I'm not sure. The mezzanine offers the next tenant lots of opportunities to get creative. 

A juice bar might be pretty good, I wonder if the one up the street (southern pressed) would relocate to this spot.  who am I kidding, it will probably end up something terrible like a verizon store or sunglass hut.  

Edited by gvegascple

20 hours ago, gvegascple said:

That's what gets me, and irritates the piss out of me... How many damn cookie shops does one town need?  And why can't someone come up with a concept without eighty other people descending like a swarm of locusts with the exact same damn thing?  The same thing happened with taco shops in Asheville.  I kept thinking, we have an entire world of cuisines out there, most of which aren't offered by anyone anywhere in this town, and this is what we get -- twenty taco shops?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hauntedheadnc said:

That's what gets me, and irritates the piss out of me... How many damn cookie shops does one town need?  And why can't someone come up with a concept without eighty other people descending like a swarm of locusts with the exact same damn thing?  The same thing happened with taco shops in Asheville.  I kept thinking, we have an entire world of cuisines out there, most of which aren't offered by anyone anywhere in this town, and this is what we get -- twenty taco shops?  

I don't understand the craze over these numerous local taco restaurants.  I love tacos.  They are very easy to make at home and MUCH LESS expensive than the over-priced restaurant options, and I can control the sodium content.  I understand the need for an occasional dine-out experience, but not the level of hype these places have garnered.  We experienced similar fads with frozen yogurt and cupcake shops several years ago.  American consumers seem easily manipulated.

5 hours ago, Skyliner said:

I don't understand the craze over these numerous local taco restaurants.  I love tacos.  They are very easy to make at home and MUCH LESS expensive than the over-priced restaurant options, and I can control the sodium content.  I understand the need for an occasional dine-out experience, but not the level of hype these places have garnered.  We experienced similar fads with frozen yogurt and cupcake shops several years ago.  American consumers seem easily manipulated.

The craze is there because its good food at decent prices. More importantly, they are great places to socialize. People are tired of staying home. Good food. Good prices. Good times. 

Edited by gman

3 hours ago, Skyliner said:

Funny thing about fads...they come...they go. I don't see this as manipulation...I see it as a pure expression of capitalism. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took a short getaway and stayed at the AC Hotel this past weekend and was able to spend time in the plaza at Camperdown. I wish those free-standing buildings for Insomnia Cookies and "Camp" were never built as they feel misplaced and blocking what could've been an even better public space. Still impressed with the level of pedestrian traffic considering the overall lack of retail. 

4 hours ago, GVLover said:

I took a short getaway and stayed at the AC Hotel this past weekend and was able to spend time in the plaza at Camperdown. I wish those free-standing buildings for Insomnia Cookies and "Camp" were never built as they feel misplaced and blocking what could've been an even better public space. Still impressed with the level of pedestrian traffic considering the overall lack of retail. 

Good point...I thought the same thing  during a recent visit to the plaza.  It's not that the structures serve a purpose for retail use...they don't blend with the overall (pleasant) aesthetics of the plaza.  

Edited by cabelagent

20 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

Man. We always find something to complain about. Lol. We have it good here folks.

You're right! Either way, as I said, it did have plenty of pedestrian activity and ultimately that's what matters most. Once they're able to secure additional retail tenants, that plaza will be even more amazing. None of this negates that the plaza should've been larger.

I attached a rendering that I just discovered that seems to show Camperdown without the random suburban aesthetic buildings in the plaza and personally, I think the plaza looks more alive this way. 

Either way once Camperdown is truly complete it will be of the best mixed use developments in a city of Greenville's size and perhaps larger. Greenville is fortunate to have such a development!

636668354926194056-Camperdown-Residential-1.jpg

Edited by GVLover
  • Like 3

I don't mind the two small buildings in the middle of the plaza. I do agree that it should have been bigger though and I wish that included some of the space where the car drop off is at.  Just looking at that picture it looks like that takes up almost half of the plaza. To me, that's a waste of space.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...